Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dishwashers, DVD's, Fridge...what works in Oz??

Dishwashers, DVD's, Fridge...what works in Oz??

Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:54 am
Just Joined

TRJP will become famous soon enough
Question Dishwashers, DVD's, Fridge...what works in Oz??

Hi

Can anyone help me with what does and doesn't work over in Australia??

We have got dishwasher, washing machine, DVD, video, computer and hoover. I keep getting conflicting advice so help is needed. Can we take these things from the UK and just change the plugs?? OR do we need to leave them and buy all new stuff out there???
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:06 pm
Banned

Fuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dishwashers, DVD's, Fridge...what works in Oz??

Originally Posted by TRJP
Hi

We have got dishwasher, washing machine, DVD, video, computer and hoover. I keep getting conflicting advice so help is needed. Can we take these things from the UK and just change the plugs?? OR do we need to leave them and buy all new stuff out there???
Well, contrary to popular belief your television will work here all you need to do is change the plug and retune it. Also our expensive DECT phones from the UK worked with just a new connector $1.49 in fact everything we brought works without any problems.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:07 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

All of that stuff will work, with a change of plug. And some caveats.....

Hoover - make sure it's bloody clean before you try and sneak it past AQIS. It's probably easier to leave it behind unless you really, really need it with you.
DVD - if your DVD is hard-coded to region 2 (many UK sold ones are) then it won't play any new discs you buy in Oz. You may be lucky and either have a region-free one already though, or have a model that can be hacked. See www.vcdhelp.com and look for DVD Hacks.
Fridge - The fridges in Oz are generally much bigger and more powerful, so most people either leave their 'tiny' UK fridge behind or take it just to keep on the back deck to chill their beers
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

TRJP will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Dishwashers, DVD's, Fridge...what works in Oz??

Thanks thats really helped. At least it will save a few poumds when we are first there.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:26 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Dishwashers, DVD's, Fridge...what works in Oz??

Thanks thats really helped. At least it will save a few poumds when we are first there.
This question comes up ALL of the time and you get different answers ALL of the time.

Especially with television sets. Some people say its PAL in Oz but a different PAL from the UK market! Others say that on some of the more modern TV's you can actually go into a menu and select which country you will be using it in. It would be good if this could be settled once and for all really and there are far too many conflicting threads about it.

Also read that our videos will not work either.

I understand the DVD situation but from a thread I was in the other day both region 2 and 4 should work in players here and Oz. I do have a multi-region one so it will be going with us.

There was a bit about fridges the other day saying that you should not take them because of the gas in them may not be of the same standard that is used in Oz built ones and that they may keep it from you at the port blah, blah, blah. I agree with wmoore that you would probably want a bigger and better one there anyway as you are more likely to want to keep more stuff in it.

Anyways, who know for sure eh?

R.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:19 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carruss
Especially with television sets. Some people say its PAL in Oz but a different PAL from the UK market! Others say that on some of the more modern TV's you can actually go into a menu and select which country you will be using it in. It would be good if this could be settled once and for all really and there are far too many conflicting threads about it.
If only life was so easy ...
Australian TV uses the PAL B/G standard.
UK uses PAL I
Infor from http://kropla.com/tv.htm

However, some TV's are capable of using both formats and so will work. Some will auto switch between the two and some will need adjusting via a menu. Some will show pictures but not deliver any sound. Sorry, there is no 100% solid answer on this, it depends on your TV set.
Originally Posted by Caruss
Also read that our videos will not work either.
You can watch UK or Oz videos on a player from either country. If you want to record from TV, you may (or may not) have the same problem as with the TV. It depends on your kit.
Originally Posted by Caruss
I understand the DVD situation but from a thread I was in the other day both region 2 and 4 should work in players here and Oz.
Sorry, aint necessarily so! UK is DVD region 2 and Australia is DVD region 4. Some players are restricted to play DVDs from the region they are sold in and some are not (multi-region). Some can also be hacked - see my earlier comment on this thread. Once again, it depends on your kit.

I'd like to be able to tell you that there is a hard and fast answer but the nearest thing to that is to say "it depends on your kit"
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:48 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

If you buy an old Aussie video player & tune it into your Dishwasher you should get an excellant picture on your microwave everytime you hoover.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:52 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bordy
If you buy an old Aussie video player & tune it into your Dishwasher you should get an excellant picture on your microwave everytime you hoover.
PMSL!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:31 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by Bordy
Smart arse
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:48 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Dishwashers, DVD's, Fridge...what works in Oz??

Not being funny but how as this helped?

You have one person saying just swap the plug over and it will work, then another saying the same and 'all that stuff will work' but then later saying some TV's are capable of using both formats and so will work'. Which will presumably mean some will not!

You really need to do the research on your own models of electrical goods to see if it is possible or not. After all if you sell it here at least you get something for it. If you take it out there and it doesn't work, then you end up with some useless memorabilia from here.

R.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carruss
Not being funny but how as this helped?

You have one person saying just swap the plug over and it will work, then another saying the same and 'all that stuff will work' but then later saying some TV's are capable of using both formats and so will work'. Which will presumably mean some will not!

You really need to do the research on your own models of electrical goods to see if it is possible or not. After all if you sell it here at least you get something for it. If you take it out there and it doesn't work, then you end up with some useless memorabilia from here.

R.
If you've got enough stuff to fill the container then you may as well take it with you. If it works - GREAT. If it doesn't...well...how much would you have got for it anyway?
Old Apr 15th 2005, 8:17 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wmoore
Hoover - make sure it's bloody clean before you try and sneak it past AQIS. It's probably easier to leave it behind unless you really, really need it with you.
The last thing I did leaving the UK house was to vacuum the place (as you do when moving out) then spend 10 minutes cleaning (washing and wiping) the outside and the inside of the vacuum cleaner. AQIS inspected it and passed it and it still proudly bears its yellow sticker. Definitely a worthwhile 10 minutes!
Old Apr 15th 2005, 12:39 pm
lambstew

LambStew is an unknown quantity at this point

Different variation of old question...a bit more practical advice requested
I have just arrived (from HK) and have hired an Aussie TV
and have brought with me a Video and DVD player
I followed the instructions on tuning the video (Connected
with normal coax cable) until it said tune the TV to UHF Channel 36
(ot try another...etc)
The aussie TV does not have these channels, so I just scan
thru the available frequencies but cannot see any picture...
even playing a tape.
Any ideas on what step I am missing?
Best advice to date is go and grab the first passing 12 year old,
as they would know, but am sure the visa restrictions won't allow that...

Also - on the DVD - which is a Chinese make that plays DVD's from all regions,
how do I connect it up? The instructions are for 3 cables, but I have only two slots in the back of the TV ('cos its mono)...but I am left guessing
which slots to use for video and audio on the DVD - any ideas?
Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
If only life was so easy ...
Australian TV uses the PAL B/G standard.
UK uses PAL I
Infor from http://kropla.com/tv.htm

However, some TV's are capable of using both formats and so will work. Some will auto switch between the two and some will need adjusting via a menu. Some will show pictures but not deliver any sound. Sorry, there is no 100% solid answer on this, it depends on your TV set.
My TV gets a picture but no sound. So we bought a new TV and the VCR works on the new TV, but without sound. SO we had to wire it up using the phono plugs into the TV but the VCR only had a SCART socket which no one has heard of over here. fortuneatly we had one and also an adapter. Both the TV and VCR were Sony and wern't cheap.

As for the DVD, it worked first time. The best buy I ever made. It cost me £29.99 from Amazon and is multi-region.

Anyone going back to England and want a Sony TV?
Old Apr 17th 2005, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

crowley has a spectacular aura aboutcrowley has a spectacular aura aboutcrowley has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Dishwashers, DVD's, Fridge...what works in Oz??

We found every thing worked, however older modulation specific TV's set to PAL 1 don't BUT... The thing is you’ll probably want a bigger fridge the washing machines are better in Aus, and coming from the UK you’ll find it all so cheap, another thing to note is most things beep at you in Aus fridges freezers washing machines. Something else to think about is the average fridge/freezer takes up 1.5 cum and really don't like to be transported you are better off getting new ones. if you do take your older stuff remember the earth goes to the bottom pin (so much more logical than the UK)