Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dishwasher/Fridge Freezer

Dishwasher/Fridge Freezer

Old May 16th 2005, 8:53 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dishwasher/Fridge Freezer

I will need to purchase both a dishwasher and fridge freezer when I arrive next month. Can anyone recommend where to buy them from in the Melbourne area. I would like one of the large American type fridge freezers with icemaker etc. Many thanks.
Old May 16th 2005, 9:22 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Dishwasher/Fridge Freezer

Originally Posted by Vanessa
I will need to purchase both a dishwasher and fridge freezer when I arrive next month. Can anyone recommend where to buy them from in the Melbourne area. I would like one of the large American type fridge freezers with icemaker etc. Many thanks.
There is a firm called "goodguys" and they sell all manner of white and household electrical goods.....they have a web site so they might have a store near you...And best of all they seem pretty cheap to me...(12% OFF FOR CASH)

CORKER
Old May 16th 2005, 10:04 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dishwasher/Fridge Freezer

You will find a whole rangeof shops selling this stuff , you will need to shop around and compare prices. ALL of the shops will haggle with you especially if you are buying the two things together - do not pay the price on the sticker.

This is serious this haggling lark - I was in a hury and bought a bike and didnt haggle with the bloke - when I picked it up it had all sorts of things on it for free , he just felt guilty I guess that Id' paid full whack for it.

Good guys appear sometimes to do cheap deals and are famous for their 'pay less for cash' ubt others have found you can get same or better from others - others will all price match - watch out for delivery charge of 45-75$ and try to get that included too.
Old May 16th 2005, 10:14 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst we're on the subject of Fridge freezers. Is it really not possible to take your own fridge freezer when you move to Oz?

Mine is only 2 1/2 years old, and is energy efficient. I have heard pepole say that the motors in U.K fridges won't stand the heat, but surely it can't be that hot indoors???
Old May 16th 2005, 10:25 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Whilst we're on the subject of Fridge freezers. Is it really not possible to take your own fridge freezer when you move to Oz?

Mine is only 2 1/2 years old, and is energy efficient. I have heard pepole say that the motors in U.K fridges won't stand the heat, but surely it can't be that hot indoors???
I'd say take it, it should be ok. We're taking 3.
Old May 16th 2005, 10:41 pm

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Blimey!
Old May 16th 2005, 10:42 pm
Jonah & Suzie's Daddy!!!

Sir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
remember they won'y get in if they fail the oz cfc checks
Old May 16th 2005, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Sir Les Patterson
I know, I've heard about that...

Mine should be OK, as it's pretty new...
Old May 17th 2005, 12:51 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

but surely it can't be that hot indoors???
Sorry, can't help with your question, but that really did make me laugh .
Old May 17th 2005, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Sorry, can't help with your question, but that really did make me laugh .
Is it that hot indoors that a U.K fridge could overheat is what I meant
Old May 17th 2005, 12:56 am

Is that what you thought I meant?
Old May 17th 2005, 12:58 am
"Whats That In Pounds?"

PIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant future

Fridges and Freezers don't appreciate long journeys! After a few weeks of transportation and no power it will be fingers crossed that it will work again. My advice - sell it and buy new over here. You'll need a bigger one anyway for all the beer
Old May 17th 2005, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by PIXAU
Fridges and Freezers don't appreciate long journeys! After a few weeks of transportation and no power it will be fingers crossed that it will work again. My advice - sell it and buy new over here. You'll need a bigger one anyway for all the beer
Good idea....thanks Pixau
Old May 17th 2005, 1:15 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Is that what you thought I meant?
I think it was just the way it was worded . To answer your question, unless you have air con, its likely that your house will get hotter indoors than outdoors, particularly if you are out during the day (ie while at work etc) & the house is locked up.

I dont know if overheating or efficiency will be a problem, but it regularly gets to 40+ in Perth in summer I believe. Any fridge struggles in that sort of heat .

Last edited by MrsDagboy; May 17th 2005 at 1:41 am. Reason: cant type to save my life!
Old May 18th 2005, 7:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sir Les Patterson
Al 3 are non-cfc. Cfc's in fridges were banned in the mid 90's.