Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Discounted phone calls to UK

Discounted phone calls to UK

Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:17 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Discounted phone calls to UK

Hi all,

Can someone remind me which phone cards are recommended for those of us wanting to phone the UK cheaply? I went into the local newsagents this morning to ask about phone cards, and was offered a whole pile of different ones, all appearing to have a face value of $10. Immediately floored me as I honestly wasn't quite sure what I did want, and the guy in the shop didn't speak very good English so we couldn't communicate too well...

Advice please?

Sue
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:19 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Discounted phone calls to UK

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Hi all,

Can someone remind me which phone cards are recommended for those of us wanting to phone the UK cheaply? I went into the local newsagents this morning to ask about phone cards, and was offered a whole pile of different ones, all appearing to have a face value of $10. Immediately floored me as I honestly wasn't quite sure what I did want, and the guy in the shop didn't speak very good English so we couldn't communicate too well...

Advice please?

Sue
We use "go talk"
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:04 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
We use "go talk"
Buzz Global - we use. 10$ seems to last a lifetime.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 12:24 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

GPS and I get over 700 minutes for $10.

Jenny
Old Aug 29th 2005, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by jensteve
GPS and I get over 700 minutes for $10.

Jenny
So do you get all of these cards at a newsagents, or do you have to get them at a special outlet?

Sorry to be so ignorant...

Sue
Old Aug 29th 2005, 12:34 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

So do you get all of these cards at a newsagents, or do you have to get them at a special outlet?

Sorry to be so ignorant...

Sue
Sorry Sue, bit vague we buy ours from the local servo but most newsagents sell a number of different ones.
PS they aren't cards just a strip of paper like a till receipt
Old Aug 29th 2005, 12:46 pm
Banned

Fuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant future

They are all a little different but much the same. You have to find one you are happy with.

We use both daybreak and go bananas cheap and readily available anywhere.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 2:01 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

If you have a pc, use MSN Messenger 7.0 to chat for free, all you need is a cheap microphone, we got one the other day for $10. Better still get a webcam, and provided the folks at the other end have one, you can see who you are talking to at the same time.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

hiya guys

If you're living here and have a landline, check out AAPT. We're with them and have a fab deal where our call charges will never be over $59 a month (excluding mobiles). I think the landline and internet charges work out about $59 a month so we've never had a bill over $120. When we were with Telstra they SOOOO ripped us off!!

AAPT

So I can ring the UK as many times as I like for as long as I like and the bill won't ever be over $59....bargain!!

Better than the till receipts...I used to lose mine all the time, or the print would just bloody rub off!!

love sophia xx
Old Aug 29th 2005, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

tibidabo will become famous soon enough

Hi all,

Advice please?

Sue
Use VOIPBUSTER http://www.voipbuster.com/en/index.html and your calls are free (1 Euro for registration). You need only internet.
Quality is fine and quite reliable
Old Aug 30th 2005, 2:15 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

All the newsagents have a pamphlet with all the cards' rates against all countries: just ask for it and in a couple of minutes you can see which are best for you.

Things to check are:

How long the purchase lasts (some are 3 months, some six)

If there is a per-call start charge

If there is a local call to get into the system - OK in Metro areas but it can be expensive if you have to use a 800 or 1300 number

And what the rates are for any countries you regularly call

When you have got the card you can "chain dial": ie. put into the phone memory all the required numbers and PINs, with appropriate pauses. We have 2 cards, one for internal and one international, each with it's own memory button. Just a case of selecting the right one, pushing "call' and dialling the overseas number after verification.

Often, too, you can press some character after the call finishes and immediately make another call for the same local charge.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough

We have the same thing set up on the phone so one number and it dials UK we just top the 'card' up over the phone. We use Go Talk which we originally got from the Post Office.
Strongly recommend the web-cam (obviously both need broadband for it to be usable), we see my parents every fortnight for a chat. It is great to see them and it means they get a chance to see the boys growing up until they can apply for their visa next year!
Annie
Old Aug 30th 2005, 2:57 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

check out phonecardselector.com.au. select the type of call you want to make, and it'll tell you the cards. remember to read the fineprint, such as flagfall, etc.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 10:57 am

Many thanks to all for some very helpful replies. At least I now have some idea of what I'm looking for. We don't have a landline to which we could charge calls at the moment, but will be looking at the AATP option when we get to WA. Thanks for that, Sophia. MSN could be an option - I always tend to shy away from it because each time I've tried installing it, I seem to get PC problems. Probably coincidence but it doesn't help that I'm not very PC-literate.

Sue