Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

disaster rekkie and chickenpox

disaster rekkie and chickenpox

Old Mar 10th 2006, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future
Default disaster rekkie and chickenpox

I have just found out that two children who my little boy (19months) has played with in the last few days have both developed chickenpox today. Great you think, every child must get these things but preferably not when we fly out to Oz in two weeks - the incubation period is 10-20 days ! So if he gets it, its either in the week we fly or whilst we are there. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Lindsey
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Rachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud of
Default Re: disaster rekkie and chickenpox

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Bless him hope he's okay

rach
:scared:
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rachelle
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Bless him hope he's okay

rach
:scared:
Me too - has your little one had it?
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Rachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud of

Yes! when she was about 18mths! She really wasn't that bad though thank God - my neice had them worse, she was older i think it's worse the older they are. Good for him to get it over and done with but think nothing of his timing!!!
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rachelle
Yes! when she was about 18mths! She really wasn't that bad though thank God - my neice had them worse, she was older i think it's worse the older they are. Good for him to get it over and done with but think nothing of his timing!!!
I know how inconsiderate would it be of him to get it
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Might be a good time to take out the travel insurance, just in case you need to delay flight, some of the airlines might be reluctant to fly him if he does get it and is obvioulsy sick, desite that it would be horrible for him flying like that anyway.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

angel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond repute

God what a nitemare. My wee one got them when we flew up to scotland at xmas. We flew up on the sunday and the first spot appeared on the monday :scared: There had been chicken pox at the nursery about 2 weeks before but assumed he was alright because he never got them at that point. You never know, your wee one might not get them.

Sorry to all that was on our flight lol.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

KelnIan is a jewel in the roughKelnIan is a jewel in the roughKelnIan is a jewel in the roughKelnIan is a jewel in the rough

O dear, feel for you try not to worry to much thought, although i no thats easy said than done, good luck
Old Mar 10th 2006, 10:59 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Might be a good time to take out the travel insurance, just in case you need to delay flight, some of the airlines might be reluctant to fly him if he does get it and is obvioulsy sick, desite that it would be horrible for him flying like that anyway.
God yeah, can you imagine how much discomfort there would be on take off and landing with the ear pain!! (the child that is)
Old Mar 10th 2006, 11:37 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Poor you!!! :scared: :scared:

As if flying with a child that age isnt stressfull enough!! But to try and put your mind at rest both my kids got it at that age and both had it really mildly so you might be lucky!!

Neither of them was that bothered with it, just dabbed a bit of the old Calamine Lotion at night, and that seemed to work just fine!!

My daughter I thought wasnt going to get it as I understand it has a 21 day incubation period, well she got it day 21!!!

Good Luck!!
Old Mar 11th 2006, 12:18 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
I have just found out that two children who my little boy (19months) has played with in the last few days have both developed chickenpox today. Great you think, every child must get these things but preferably not when we fly out to Oz in two weeks - the incubation period is 10-20 days ! So if he gets it, its either in the week we fly or whilst we are there. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Lindsey
Oh no!

Some friends our ours were going on a a dream holiday to New Zealand to visit friends and I used to joke with them about being jealous and making them miss the flight. How bad did I feel when three days before they were due to fly, she stopped the car to show me her daughter who was COVERED in spots. You couldn't see more than the size of a 20p piece without a spot.

Typical me tried to make a joke of it and said - 'at least you'll have something to do on the plane - you can play dot to dot!'

They couldn't travel in the end, lost some money as I don't think the insurance paid out for everything and couldn't re-book as all the flights were full for the next two/three weeks when they were able to travel; following on from that they had work commitments.

I felt really bad over that one. I must admit, before we went on our reccie, I deliberately stayed away from any Mum and Toddler groups, just to be on the safe side.

Fingers crossed everything will be OK and it will jsut be a false alarm.

Jules
Old Mar 11th 2006, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Take a look at this very similar thread, when the child DID get chickenpox

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=chickenpox

Hope it works out ok!
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Posted a couple of times on that original thread, and I'll reiterate - please don't fly if you think the child is contagious!
=================
Since that thread I've spent time with my youngest niece while she had chicken pox - very lightly, thank goodness. We always thought I had never had it, but while reading it up on the net with my sister, I've now changed my mind. During my first winter here (2004) I spent 2 weeks in bed, incapable of doing anything, in agonising pain when I moved, with a mysterious rash, high temp all that stuff. We thought it was a further reaction to the climate, as my skin hates it here, but the more I read now, the more I think it was shingles, the cousin of chicken pox. I was left with permanent damage to my eyesight - ulcers that are now improved, but left me with bad eyes and strong glasses, and I've never got back to the reasonable level of general health I had before that.

Not trying to scare anyone, but just make people aware - chicken pox is no joke
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nurselindsey

Lindsey
Dont let it worry you too much , i have 6 kids and none of them got it really bad, they where ok.
Some kids suffer badly, but yours may not.
Hope he's ok.
Denise
Old Mar 11th 2006, 3:59 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Posted a couple of times on that original thread, and I'll reiterate - please don't fly if you think the child is contagious!
=================
Since that thread I've spent time with my youngest niece while she had chicken pox - very lightly, thank goodness. We always thought I had never had it, but while reading it up on the net with my sister, I've now changed my mind. During my first winter here (2004) I spent 2 weeks in bed, incapable of doing anything, in agonising pain when I moved, with a mysterious rash, high temp all that stuff. We thought it was a further reaction to the climate, as my skin hates it here, but the more I read now, the more I think it was shingles, the cousin of chicken pox. I was left with permanent damage to my eyesight - ulcers that are now improved, but left me with bad eyes and strong glasses, and I've never got back to the reasonable level of general health I had before that.

Not trying to scare anyone, but just make people aware - chicken pox is no joke
One thought for you - it is very, very hard to contract shingles if you have never had chickenpox. Shingles develops from the Chickenpox virus having lodged in the spinal cord, and flares up when the immune system is low for whatever reason - often stress situations. The only way you could, in theory, contract it any other way is by coming in contact with the exudate from a weeping shingles lesion in someone who has active shingles.

So if you had shingles, it's almost certain that you have had chickenpox at some time, even if it was very mild.

Sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.