Disaster

Old Dec 25th 2004, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Disaster

As I have mentioned in previous threads I am on my own here in Melbourne with 3 kids, husband back in London, actually Scotland at present staying with his sister until Feb. Thought things were going well until this morning.

Last night kept the kids up late so we could go to midnight mass (thinking they would have lie in this morning - ha ha ha). Arrived just before service began, managed to find seats even though church very crowded. Anyway the service went on for two hours!!!- I know I should have left but as I was wedged in the middle of a pew in the middle of a crowded church, I just couldn't do it. Now thinking of giving up on religion. Anyway get home just after 2am, get kids to bed, waited for them to get to sleep, filled their stockings and sorted out other pressies etc. Finally got to bed about 3.30am. Got woken up at 8.00am by kids, wild with excitement over presents.

Made pancakes for breakfast, managed to set off smoke alarm only twice. Phoned family and friends in UK and Ireland. Then thought about dinner - I had only forgotten to take the turkey out of the freezer, and I have not got a microwave as our stuff has not arrived from London as yet, so unable to defrost said turkey. Kids were really cross but cheered up when I cooked them chicken nuggets with roast potatoes, stuffing, veg etc. Luckily we are in Oz and had no family coming around - don't think my Mum would be impressed with chicken nuggets. When I took the nuggets out of the oven the kitten (daughters present) jumped in to the oven and burnt his paws. I did not even tell daughter about this, just grabbed him whilst dropping nuggets everywhere and ran plonked him into a sink full of cold water. I have now put some sudocrem on his paws and they are quite red with small blisters but don't look too bad. Daughter has not noticed yet! Plus they did not notice I dropped the nuggets all over the floor - too busy fighting with each other!

I honestly admit I could not be a single parent, I admire anyone who is and just can't imagine how they cope full time with kids, work, pets etc. I would be admitted to a mental health unit!

Merry Christmas to all. I have just got the kids to bed and have poured myself a very big glass of wine - Cheers to all and heres looking forward to next year, when husband can do all the cooking, kids can fight and I will keep the cat away!

Mel
Old Dec 25th 2004, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disaster

You might need to repeat the standing in cold water. I think you have to bath is running cold water for at least 10 minutes. I would also call a vet just to check what you should do next.

Originally Posted by melibeam
As I have mentioned in previous threads I am on my own here in Melbourne with 3 kids, husband back in London, actually Scotland at present staying with his sister until Feb. Thought things were going well until this morning.

Last night kept the kids up late so we could go to midnight mass (thinking they would have lie in this morning - ha ha ha). Arrived just before service began, managed to find seats even though church very crowded. Anyway the service went on for two hours!!!- I know I should have left but as I was wedged in the middle of a pew in the middle of a crowded church, I just couldn't do it. Now thinking of giving up on religion. Anyway get home just after 2am, get kids to bed, waited for them to get to sleep, filled their stockings and sorted out other pressies etc. Finally got to bed about 3.30am. Got woken up at 8.00am by kids, wild with excitement over presents.

Made pancakes for breakfast, managed to set off smoke alarm only twice. Phoned family and friends in UK and Ireland. Then thought about dinner - I had only forgotten to take the turkey out of the freezer, and I have not got a microwave as our stuff has not arrived from London as yet, so unable to defrost said turkey. Kids were really cross but cheered up when I cooked them chicken nuggets with roast potatoes, stuffing, veg etc. Luckily we are in Oz and had no family coming around - don't think my Mum would be impressed with chicken nuggets. When I took the nuggets out of the oven the kitten (daughters present) jumped in to the oven and burnt his paws. I did not even tell daughter about this, just grabbed him whilst dropping nuggets everywhere and ran plonked him into a sink full of cold water. I have now put some sudocrem on his paws and they are quite red with small blisters but don't look too bad. Daughter has not noticed yet! Plus they did not notice I dropped the nuggets all over the floor - too busy fighting with each other!

I honestly admit I could not be a single parent, I admire anyone who is and just can't imagine how they cope full time with kids, work, pets etc. I would be admitted to a mental health unit!

Merry Christmas to all. I have just got the kids to bed and have poured myself a very big glass of wine - Cheers to all and heres looking forward to next year, when husband can do all the cooking, kids can fight and I will keep the cat away!

Mel
Old Dec 25th 2004, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

Did leave the kitten in cold water for about 20 mins and have repeated it lots of times since. Its difficult to do the running water thing with a struggling scratching kitten. I think he is ok, he is eating, walking ok and seems as normal as usual, but I will call vet tomorrow if he seems worse.

I am actually a nurse (although not a vetinary one) so I wouldnt let him suffer if I thought he needed urgent treatment.

Thanks for your concern

Mel
Old Dec 25th 2004, 10:02 pm
mamacares

amendoza is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by melibeam

Mel
O my Mel! I can relate as my hubby's out of town most of the time and I am all home alone with 3 young buds to look after. Not an easy task, really! That would still be my scenario once we get to Oz as hubby will need to settle his work abroad for a year or two.
We'll see what will happen but I am just getting myself fit for the big job!!!

Well, still, have a nice holiday!

Cheers,
Hannah
Old Dec 25th 2004, 11:14 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Mel

Poor you!! Good thing there will be another Melb. Womens' Drinking Night to look forward to in the New Year! Light at the end of the tunnel?

Hope the rest of the Holiday goes better for you......

Cheers,
Anya.
xx