Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Disappointing reaction at work to my news :-(

Disappointing reaction at work to my news :-(

Old Apr 8th 2011, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disappointing reaction at work to my news :-(

Its not jealousy in most people, its just you are moving on, gone and they are over it just as quick. You wont be there, they have faced that and very quickly your in the past.

Doesnt matter when its work people, when family or good mates do it is a bit more painful
Old Apr 8th 2011, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=DeadVim;9291229]
All I can say is they probably jealous and bitter, it's only a bunch of people you work with, bugger them, get on with your life
QUOTE]

Totally agree, stuff 'em!

Congrats on your new job & good luck with your move
Old Apr 8th 2011, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice / kind words everyone.

Just keeping my head down now and clearing my work, final day can't come quick enough.

Still do feel a little sad though because I have enjoyed mt time here. I tend to enjoy where ever I work because I take the attitude that you spend too long a part of your life at work to be unhappy. So feels like a sad ending in that respect, but VERY exciting at the same time
Old Apr 8th 2011, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

My other half went through hell when he left, he had been there 23 years and worked through the ranks from labourer to production manager. He had a few 'friends' but none that you could call family type (if you know what i mean)?
We have been here now for 2 months and he only has contact with one of his old work 'mates' on a regular basis, and he knew who it would be, the rest just joined the band wagon to see him off, he knew that. Hell a couple of them went for a drink on his last night there and stuff that was talked about ended up on facebucket or back through the works grapevine, but in a different version of course.
People move on all the time, i bet even the directors there have forgotten him by now also.
Has for me 15 years a nurse with a good group of fellow workers all missed but not forgotten, but we moved on. The time line and the memories do fade, and eventually all that is left are memories or one or two people you once worked with who might occassionally say hi on facebucket of msn or something.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

The majority were happy, but my bro in law thought we were stupid since 'a bloke down the pub' told him a tragic story about his failed migration attempt. Despite the fact I had visited Oz and knew Australia myself, I couldn't sway his ingrained image of racist convicts with pet crocodiles and large knifes.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
I handed in my notice at work earlier this week having managed to successfully secure employment in Australia the previous week.

I had played the cards close to my chest regarding this job as I really wasn't sure what would happen but knew another chance might present itself in another 4 - 6 months if I didn't get anywhere. I have been talking openly regarding moving to Australia in the near future over the last year. But I was never sure if this was taken seriously or not, it always seemed to receive the 'yeah yeah, we can all dream' response.

Anyway earlier this week I handed my notice in and was very excited indeed after all the hard work and effort that had been put in to this.

Since an email has gone around the company explaining the situation the atmosphere has certainly changed. Some gritted teeth congratulations usually followed by negatives like ' well you will have to work just as hard over there', 'health care is much more expensive over there isn't it', 'you must be worried about how your son is going to settle', very little positives seem to come out.

I walked in work yesterday and people who I considered having close working relationships blanked me when I said my good morning.

So basically I am sitting here at my desk praying for my notice period to conclude quickly so I can get away and start feeling positive about things again!!!!! I never expected people to start a party and be hyper about this new life I will be starting, but I didn't expect the coldness either.

Have others experienced this?
You better get used to it quickly as you will not last in oz long. Do as they do in oz give as good as you get.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 8:22 am
Banned

millicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nicemillicent is just really nice

I handed in my notice at work earlier this week having managed to successfully secure employment in Australia the previous week.

I had played the cards close to my chest regarding this job as I really wasn't sure what would happen but knew another chance might present itself in another 4 - 6 months if I didn't get anywhere. I have been talking openly regarding moving to Australia in the near future over the last year. But I was never sure if this was taken seriously or not, it always seemed to receive the 'yeah yeah, we can all dream' response.

Anyway earlier this week I handed my notice in and was very excited indeed after all the hard work and effort that had been put in to this.

Since an email has gone around the company explaining the situation the atmosphere has certainly changed. Some gritted teeth congratulations usually followed by negatives like ' well you will have to work just as hard over there', 'health care is much more expensive over there isn't it', 'you must be worried about how your son is going to settle', very little positives seem to come out.

I walked in work yesterday and people who I considered having close working relationships blanked me when I said my good morning.

So basically I am sitting here at my desk praying for my notice period to conclude quickly so I can get away and start feeling positive about things again!!!!! I never expected people to start a party and be hyper about this new life I will be starting, but I didn't expect the coldness either.

They're jealous. Jealousy has no place in my life.
Good luck with whatever you do and ignore the ignorant.
Perhaps it proves that you really didn't know work colleagues that well, and if they're going to be like that, then that's their lookout.
We had a mish mash of delighted and jealous reactions, everyone's different, that's what makes the world go round.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Happens the whole world over... It would seem that people just dont like the idea of other people getting on in life and being happy

Some colleagues I considered good friends in my last job treated me like a dead man walking when I handed in my notice, haven't met up with them socially since and am ignored on FB

Bumped into a some of them at the pub a few weeks ago... They know how happy I am in my new role, they can see I look well, have lost weight and am relaxed... But they cant bring themselves to be happy for me

Sad fluckers...
Old Apr 18th 2011, 10:26 am
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Go with Troubadours response and keep sending the postcards!

My work colleagues have been brilliant and supportive re my news to go back to Australia. I appreciate we are lucky, having citizenship, we did the hard bit back in 1981 so its just a case of booking the removals and the flights for us. Not resigning until September so a few more months to go yet. But its nice to know my work colleagues are so supportive.

Yours are probably just very green with envy!

Hope all goes well for you
Old Apr 18th 2011, 11:30 am
Prepare yourself Brisbane

Dave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the rough

I hope that the notice time doesn't drag and you get away from there sharpish...not nice to heard though when colleagues are blanking you...it does remind me of how bitter some people in the UK can be.

Some people can't be pleased for others these days...sad times...

I told my employer on Friday and they have been very supportive so I have been lucky.

All the best!
Old Apr 18th 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

I gave my notice in and within 18 months, the 5 people who sat around me were here too We are all in different cities though and our boss wasnt that pleased and still mumbles on facebook about not letting anyone near me or I'll lead them astray!
Old Apr 18th 2011, 12:52 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry too much about it.
You have much bigger challenges ahead to sink your teeth into than wasting any energy fretting about how people think about you at your current workplace.
They'll have forgotten about you as soon as you are out the door. Rejoice in the adventure that awaits !
Old Apr 18th 2011, 1:02 pm
Prepare yourself Brisbane

Dave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by odyssey
I gave my notice in and within 18 months, the 5 people who sat around me were here too We are all in different cities though and our boss wasnt that pleased and still mumbles on facebook about not letting anyone near me or I'll lead them astray!
amazing...what a cool story!
Old Apr 18th 2011, 1:18 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice / kind words everyone.

Just keeping my head down now and clearing my work, final day can't come quick enough.

Still do feel a little sad though because I have enjoyed mt time here. I tend to enjoy where ever I work because I take the attitude that you spend too long a part of your life at work to be unhappy. So feels like a sad ending in that respect, but VERY exciting at the same time
Hi,
I think some people don't how to take it. Nearly everyone I worked with or was friends with, thought it was great. There was just one older couple who came out with all the negative stories. That surprised us, but then I think was because they were going to miss us.

Don't worry about it, you have to concentrate on moving on. I have been pretty bad at keep in touch with people back in the UK. But, we seem to just get on with our life here.

BTW, we love it

Best wishes,
Cooler
Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by odyssey
I worked on a rail project in London in 2003/4. 6 people I worked with are now in Australia (5 in WA, 1 in Qld). Only 1 was a born Aussie. Friends of ours came over to Perth on a 457 last year. He works in the oil industry, and 7-8 people from his old office in Oxfordshire are now in Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.