Reload this Page >

Disabled Parking Limits

Wikiposts

Disabled Parking Limits

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

cardmaker2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Disabled Parking Limits

Can any one give guidance on the parking concessions available to disabled blue badge holders, and if a British/European blue badge is accepted in Australia..

Also how the double yellow line regulations work in this respect and facilities for the disabled in general.

Thanks in anticipation.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 8:31 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disabled Parking Limits

Cardmaker, not sure that a card from the UK would be acceptable here, to get a disabled sticker for your car here (i presume thats what you mean?) you need to go to the doctors who will fill out a form whch you then lodge at Depatment of Transport. They will then issue you with one of 2 stickers (red or blue, depending on the severity &/or permanence of the disability I believe) & then you can use the disabled bays. All shopping centres here in Brisbane have a disabled parking area/bays, (usually closest to the doors of course!) & there are usually some curbside/regulated parking in the city & in the suburbs, at various locations that parking might be needed. Generally there is not often alot of parking in the suburbs ie regulated parking, but there is some around shopping areas etc.

Not sure about the yellow line question (not sure I totally understand what you are asking to be honest ).

Im certainly no expert, I only know the above because my mum had a disabled sticker for the car for a few years before she died. Anyway, I hope that helps a bit.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply.

We are visiting from the Uk and we are wondering if we will be able to use our blue badge in Australia.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 10:08 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cardmaker2
Thanks for your reply.

We are visiting from the Uk and we are wondering if we will be able to use our blue badge in Australia.
Hmmmmmmm, I dont know, but I will see if I can find out for you!
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 10:44 am
Rocket Scientist

Just called Qld Transport, so this info applies to Qld (although I imagine it would be similar in other states). Qld Transport says that they recognise disabled parking stickers from other states & overseas, parking is then dependant on which category you fall under with regards to your disability -

Blue permit
To be eligible for a blue permit an applicant must be a Queensland resident and:

1. Be unable to walk and totally depend on a wheelchair, or

2. Have total dependence on a large complex mobility device (this does not include splints, crutches and walking sticks).

Blue permit holders are entitled to:
Free parking in metered or regulated parking areas.
The use of disability parking bays in on-street and off-street parking, including shopping centres and hospital car parks.

Red permit
To be eligible for a red permit an applicant must be a Queensland resident and:

1. Have a severe mobility problem which is either physical or intellectual, or

2. Be unable to safely use public transport independently or with a carer, or

3. Have difficulty walking safely between normal parking facilities and a destination.

Red permit holders are entitled to:
The use of disability parking bays in off-street parking, including shopping centres and hospital car parks.

So if you use a wheelchair, you may park in Blue or red designated parking spaces, if you classify as red, red only parking spaces.

With regards to whether you have to pay parking meters etc she pointed me to this little gem

"Can I use my interstate/overseas disability parking permit in Queensland?
The holder of interstate/overseas permit should check with the local government authority for the area in which the vehicle is to be used (parked) for advice about parking concessions."

So it may be best to call the relevant council in regards to this point!

Hope this is of some help, someone else may know more than me. Its never easy getting a straight answer out of a goverment department (however helpful they are )
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Disabled Parking Limits

Thanks Mrs Dagboy for the Qlandsland information. Cheers