Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dirty Shipping Containers

View Poll Results: How was your container on arrival?
Container didn't need cleaning and took out insurance
60.00%
Container didn't need cleaning and no insurance
20.00%
Container needed cleaning and took out insurance
0%
Container needed cleaning and no insurance
20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Dirty Shipping Containers

Old May 3rd 2006, 10:26 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dirty Shipping Containers

Hi,

Following on from another thread about having to pay for cleaning a dirty shipping container, I was wondering about the stats.

Jane
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:29 pm
Nothing is Free!

Location: Seacliff Park, Adelaide. Call in for a drink and a bbq if your passin'
Rachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dirty Shipping Containers

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Hi,

Following on from another thread about having to pay for cleaning a dirty shipping container, I was wondering about the stats.

Jane
Hi Jane,
When you say dirty, is this the inside? Im only asking because I work delivering and collecting containers for house moves etc.
The driver is responsible for the quality of the container, he/she is supposed to check inside prior to accepting it on his trailer. He/she is also supposed to check for splits in the container by looking for daylight inside.

If the box isn't up to scratch then they are supposed to change it brfore leaving the container base.
Regards,
Paul
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachel & Paul
Hi Jane,
When you say dirty, is this the inside? Im only asking because I work delivering and collecting containers for house moves etc.
The driver is responsible for the quality of the container, he/she is supposed to check inside prior to accepting it on his trailer. He/she is also supposed to check for splits in the container by looking for daylight inside.

If the box isn't up to scratch then they are supposed to change it brfore leaving the container base.
Regards,
Paul
No she's referring to the outside.

Here is the post that prompted this question http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371192
Old May 3rd 2006, 8:44 pm
Nothing is Free!

Location: Seacliff Park, Adelaide. Call in for a drink and a bbq if your passin'
Rachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by WendyC

Here is the post that prompted this question http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371192
I see, a container that has travelled 9,000 miles on a ship, and if its dirty when it arrives you get charged for the cleaning of it?
I'll pack my jet wash and do it myself!
Bloody Cheek!!
Mind you, no surprise there then

Paul
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future

Spoke to several shipping companies about this. If they try to charge you apparently they are at it. Check first.
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to all

Wow.....You pay out all that money to them to ship your stuff and then you have to pay extra to have the outside of the container cleaned OMG...you would think it would be in with the final price !!
I will keep the insurance question in mind if and when we do it
Old May 4th 2006, 2:26 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC

Yep, my container got dirty while standing on the dock. PSS class this as an "operational cost" and therefore not their responsibilty. If you don't pay for the cleaning then you don't get your goods so not a lot you can do about it. I wasn't offered the insurance 2 years ago so I don't know if its happening more often now, hence the insurance. That's what this poll is about really.

Jane
Old May 4th 2006, 6:21 am
Just Joined

Dianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to all

No-one mentioned anything about insurance for the container when we got quotes, we assumed that any additional costs for customs would just relate to issues with our goods - not the container. Hence we've just been stung for $284.

On the plus side at long last we have at last been given a delivery date - so the trip only took 14 weeks and over $800 add ons!
Old May 4th 2006, 6:26 am
Just Joined

Dianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to all

Originally Posted by khoardiroy
Spoke to several shipping companies about this. If they try to charge you apparently they are at it. Check first.

Which companies did you speak to as we've just been stung by Bishops Move and I am not letting this drop, I think they are taking the p!
Old May 5th 2006, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dianne
Which companies did you speak to as we've just been stung by Bishops Move and I am not letting this drop, I think they are taking the p!
Pickfords, DB and Baxters
Old May 5th 2006, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

pioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud of

We are shipping our stuff to Perth with John Mason they include an insurance fee of £15 for cleaning of container if need be. This is now automatically included unless you inform them you wish to cancel option.
Sharon