Direct flights

Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all
Default Direct flights

Advice please (again!)

Which airlines do the most direct, I.e non stop flights that you would recommend flying with, taking into account 3 children...
Am reading Emirates and Singapore are very good when flying with children but they seem to layover for a few hours, is this normal?
Thanks
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Direct flights

Yes a layover is normal, you will probably find it to be welcome too, long trip.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

There is no non stop flight, they all have at least one refuelling stop. That can be as little as an hour or, if you have to change planes, then it will be more. I always go with Qantas and just have the hour in Singapore, Bangkok or HK and then reboard straight away and off again.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Yes a layover is normal, you will probably find it to be welcome too, long trip.
But it will be painful with our 3 so want it over and done with ASAP!
Any day of the week better to fly?
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy3
But it will be painful with our 3 so want it over and done with ASAP!
Any day of the week better to fly?

On my permanent move out my flight had a 90 minute delay leaving London and I only had a 90 minute stopover. Had I missed the connection, the airline would have sorted it, but still it is hassle I could do without.

On our validation trip we changed in Hong Kong on the way out and the gates were a long way apart, I wouldn't have wanted to sprint from one end of the airport to the other with three children.

Doing the journey by myself, I would want at least 90 minutes, with three kids, I think I would want at least 3 hours!
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Forgive my innocence, you don't stay on the same plane?
So, a couple of hours minimum stopover...
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mummy3
Forgive my innocence, you don't stay on the same plane?
So, a couple of hours minimum stopover...
No not necessarily same plane.

I really would think you would need a couple of hours minimum, I have never travelled with children but that is my sense. I am sure someone who is more experienced in such matters than me will be along shortly to confirm or otherwise though.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, it does make sense.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Just book a flight that goes through, like the Qantas through Hong Kong. Then it's the same plane, just refuels. I'm sure other airlines do the same.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes you stay on the same plane and sometimes it changed, it depends on where in Australia you are flying to. For example if you fly Qantas from London to Sydney you have the same plane the whole way, but many people getting on your plane in London will be going to Perth or Brisbane etc, so when you stop in Singapore and get off all the Perth and Brisbane people will change planes while you would get back on the same one, many new passengers would join the plane too.

It depends on airline and destination, sometimes you'll even get back on the same plane but in different seats.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Like they all said, almost impossible to predict whether you'll have to change seats or planes.

Singapore are definitely the best by far in my experience, not only for planes and crew, but also because Changi airport is one of the cleanest most kid friendly airport I've ever been to. I have flown theough Dubai with a 6-month-old and it was not an experience I'd want to repeat in a hurry. Admittedly, it was during their major renovations so could be much better now.

Bermudashorts is right, it is a blessing to have at least 2 or 3 hours for the kids to stretch their legs (and you!). It also takes at least 30 minutes to disembark and you still have to be at the next gate at least 45 minutes before boarding so the 3 hours will fly.

Last time we did the trip in July, we had 3 hours in Changi and we spent a bit of the time changing the boys into their PJs (we had left Melbourne at midday) and just letting them run around the big clean-carpeted departures hall in their bare feet. Then they spent a good hour just running back and forth on the deserted travelator outside the gate They loved it and got to expend some energy!

The worst thing on those flights is when kids can't get themselves to sleep. Mine find it difficult to sit upright (unless in the car where the movement rocks them to sleep) and the excitement is often too much! If you can, get the 4 seats in the middle or at least 3 in a row so you can lift the arm rests (easiest on the A380), and have the kids sort of lie down on you lap. Not ideal by any means but might help a bit. Also, don't bother taking too many toys onboard as they get frustrated if they can't get up and play with them. We always take a portable DVD player with headphones and their favourite DVDs. They also loved watching the one episode of Batman on the entertInment system over and over for the best part of 24 hours!

One thing to be aware of, is that the kids meals tend to be high in sugar and junk food, so it's worth having a few healthy snacks to counteract that. I always bring their water bottles as well as my kids only like water and so never touch the cordial or juice on their tray.

As for the best day of the week, there isn't one really. If you are still coming in June, avoid the end of June as it'll be close to the school holidays. That makes a small difference, but as far as I have experienced, it is only marginal. Most flights are full, especially the Europe to Singapore leg.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

We have been to Singapore and remember how clean it is. Sounds a good idea to run them around for a couple of hours, trouble is the company book the flights but we could put an early request in.
Thanks
Old Mar 24th 2012, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Would you not consider (if possible for you) to do a 2 day stop or somthing, it really helps break it up and you could do the stop in Hong Kong and take the kids to Disneyland.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by canadaeh
Would you not consider (if possible for you) to do a 2 day stop or somthing, it really helps break it up and you could do the stop in Hong Kong and take the kids to Disneyland.
I did look it up as we are fans of Disneyland Paris, but I think I would rather get there and get sorted as OH will have to start work.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, dont stop, just get it all over and done with in one hit. I always prefer to leave late at night and find it easier to sleep if you are knackered. You dont need much time to stretch your legs and run around and an airport gets pretty boring after an hour. Bangkok, Singapore or Hong Kong are all fine for a refuelling stop.

If your kids are in the least bit likely to get travel sick, be sure to try out the travel sick medications BEFORE you go anywhere near a plane as some of them can hype kids up and you do not want kids bouncing off the walls at 35000ft!

I have travelled with my own kids, and latterly with my small grandkids and they have been fine - they sleep better than I do (and that is saying something!). Dont know how old your kids are but unless you need a bassinette then dont go for the bulkhead seats as you cant raise the arm rests - go for the 4 in the middle and then you can raise the arm rests and spread out a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.