Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Direct flight or stopover?

Direct flight or stopover?

Old Sep 25th 2010, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of
Default Re: Direct flight or stopover?

Hi

Would definitely recommend a stopover for a couple fo days. Singapore (Sentosa Isand) is fantastic! We didn't do a stopover on our reccie in March but wish we had. We have an 8 and 7 year old and it was just soooo long for them! (and us!) When we went to Bali another time we stopped off at Sentosa Island in Singapore and had a fantastic time. Definitley recommend it. Singapore Zoo fantastic too
Old Sep 25th 2010, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Agree with Spalen. Have a plane free holiday on the way over. Flights are very expensive from here. We have 2 around that age and always stop over. Gets rid of the jetlag early and if you time it so 2 night flights it makes it so much easier. 13 hours and 8 hours. They'll sleep for most of them.

Sing is nice and kl is awesome - lot cheaper too. See which carrier is best priced and where they stop. Hong kong if you want to go shopping. Will be well worth stopping over somewhere. Coming the whole way in one go would fill me with dread
Old Sep 26th 2010, 12:05 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also in the why not have a stopover camp...it's a great opportunity to spend some time somewhere different. There are low cost options in Singapore, have a look at Seasider's advice, which I think you can access from her sig.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 1:35 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the stopover camp but then I get to catch up with friends, get my teeth done, etc. Our recent trip to the UK was the first we did without a stopover (it was planned but then my mum died, so the UK bit had to be extended). I like to stopover as it breaks up the jetlag but we don't have kids so I couldn't comment on that aspect. Also agree with others that it's a sort of free holiday (especially as we stay in a budget hotel).

The link in my sig has some info on Singapore but it is becoming out-dated. There was a recent thread on this - was it by Centurion? Anyway, have a search and you should find a lot of info as many people do stopover there. I'll try to answer any further questions. ex-reg in the Far East forum is a great source of info as he's still living in Sg, been there many years, and has up-to-date info. KoalaKim also goes there quite a bit.

I haven't stopped over anywhere else as we always fly SIA but I have been a few places where the various airlines do them. Bangkok is a fun town but I don't know how stable it is at the moment (the news has gone quiet, maybe it's all died down?). KL also - slightly mad and a bit rough round the edges but good for a couple of days. Haven't been to Dubai (well, apart from on the tarmac to refuel).

(Oh I really missed my stopover this time but in a couple of weeks am going to Bali for ten days to make up for it. )
Old Sep 26th 2010, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

We didnt stop over. Our youngest was 2 years old at the time.
Flew from UK and stopped at Singapore for about 2hours. No waiting around really due to boarding stuff.

My kids were fine. However my youngest was a frequent flyer, as she used to travel (flights) with me back to UK every 2 weeks for medical treatment. So I knew she was a good flyer.

My tip is get lunch time/afternoon flight so they sleep for most of it.

Gems
Old Sep 26th 2010, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scotsista
Hi there

Looking for advice from parents who have travelled to Australia before with young children under 5. Our children will be 5 and 2 when we travel.

Would you recommend a stopover (my preference) or direct flight (hubby's preference)?

I've had a quick look and air-fare wise there doesn't appear to be too much of a difference.

Thanks in advance.
Always seemed silly to me to fly half way around the world and not see any of it,however I didn't do it with young kids.

If you are flying to the east coast fly through the US and see Disneyland,Universal studios etc in LA.Be aware that LHR /LAX is a fair distance and LAX to east coast Oz is a bloody long way.That international dateline really puts the body clock out of kilter..

Flying to Wa stop off in Singapore,Bangkok,KL or Bali.They are all much the same time zone as WA and a week there gets you over the jet lag for arrival in WA.

geordie downunder
Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:27 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

We're hoping to stop over in Singapore for 3 nights on our way next year. My thinking was purely that we'll probably be physical and emotional wrecks by the time we board the place at Heathrow and I don't want to land and start our new life in Oz in that state! Plus my sister in law will have an 8 week old baby by then (all going well!) and the last thing they'll want is us two in a state.

Plus as everyone else has said there's the opportunity to have a relatively cheap holiday on the way, see somewhere new, when are we likely to be back in Sngapore again! And what's the hurry to get to Oz and start working?! haha...

Tx
Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

Going back to the UK in two weeks (can't wait!) but on our return trip, going for cheapness, have booked with Royal Brunei and have a 10 hour stopover in Brunei,Borneo. Not long enough for a stay but a long time to be hanging around in such a tiny airport. Think I might have made a mistake.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:24 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

We flew in March with a 20-month-old. We went with the stopover in Singapore option - we flew Singapore, too. They were excellent and I do recommend them. The staff on the ground and in the air were very, very good with our DD. I found the stopover really handy in getting DD to adjust gradually to the new time zone - we arrived in Aus much more refreshed than I expected to be. We didn't do a huge amount of sightseeing while we were there, as we saw it as a functional stopover rather than a holiday trip (although we did manage to get out and about a little!). It was also nice to mark the end of the old, take time out to relax and look forwards to the start of the new.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I'm a straight through gal. Especially when I had the kids - I didnt want to run the risk of them catching something unpleasant en route.
When was this? These days you're more likely to catch something in Heathrow than Changi.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 5:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentish Lass
Going back to the UK in two weeks (can't wait!) but on our return trip, going for cheapness, have booked with Royal Brunei and have a 10 hour stopover in Brunei,Borneo. Not long enough for a stay but a long time to be hanging around in such a tiny airport. Think I might have made a mistake.
You should be able to get a tour around the city and possibly a boat trip in that time. Check it out, the river tour is well worth it.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

Sounds good. Any idea of the cost?
Old Sep 27th 2010, 7:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentish Lass
Sounds good. Any idea of the cost?
Can't remember, we did it a couple of years ago but it was cheap. The airport is close to the city so it doesn't take long to get into the centre. I'll see if I can find some old info.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 8:01 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Straight through for us every time....

Yes travelling for 24 hours is exhuasting - but stopping for a couple of days just means it feels like your travelling for 72 hours before you finally get to rest.

Think of it this way.

If your stopping in Singapore for a day, you'll more than likely leave Heathrow late evening, struggle to sleep on the plaen and 14 hours later be in early evening Singapore. You'll feel like crap and want to sleep. You'll find a hotel and quite likely sleep for a few hours waking oddly early in the morning. all day you'll wander around feeling out of sorts - but compelled to try and see the place 'cos your know you're not there long. It'll be STINKING hot (Singapore always is) and all the time you know you're about to jump back on a plane again for another 9 hours. Even before lunchtime you'll be thinking 'S**T we could've een there by now if we hadnt stopped' and will just want to sit down veg.

If you only have a 1 day stop over then about lunchtime you'll think about finding the airport again and despite still feeling really odd - you'll find yourself back in the airport ready to continue. he kids wil be a mixture of tired-manic and unconscious and will not cooperate with basic instructions this time despite them having been delightful when you left Heathrow...could have and a little more frazzled than you might have been - and what for? Did you really see anything culturally valuable in your few hours sweating in a strange city?..

Still having said all that - some people seem to like it....

Eventually you'll arrive in BNE/SYD/wherever a day later than you
I'm with him (Is it a bloke thing? "Just get there!").

Singapore Air fantasic, done 4 loooong legs with them with child under 5 and can't fault 'em.

If I was travelling alone then yeh I'd probably check out the sights en-route.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Thanks moneypenny20, would be glad of any info that you have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.