British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Direct flight or stopover? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/direct-flight-stopover-686786/)

scotsista Sep 24th 2010 3:45 pm

Direct flight or stopover?

Hi there

Looking for advice from parents who have travelled to Australia before with young children under 5. Our children will be 5 and 2 when we travel.

Would you recommend a stopover (my preference) or direct flight (hubby's preference)?

I've had a quick look and air-fare wise there doesn't appear to be too much of a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Kingseat Sep 24th 2010 4:23 pm

Re: Direct flight or stopover?

Honestly, not much of a difference. The only way I wouldn't do it again would be a stopover through Dubai as the flight times (into Perth anyway) are terrible.

I think it is preference. Either stopover and see somewhere you haven't been/really like or nail it in one go.

I always like to stop and see new things and experience different cultures.

Kingseat Sep 24th 2010 4:24 pm

Remember, its not direct as you will stop either to refuel or change planes so always bank on a couple of hours somewhere like Singapore or Hong Kong.

scotsista Sep 24th 2010 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kingseat (Post 8873301)
Remember, its not direct as you will stop either to refuel or change planes so always bank on a couple of hours somewhere like Singapore or Hong Kong.

Thanks for your response. I did realise there would be a stop-over! I meant though as in staying somewhere for a few days!!

Thanks anyway!

heldownunder Sep 24th 2010 7:12 pm

we are flying to Brisbane at end of October with a 3 and 5 year old.
we are stopping over at Dubai for two days/three nights.

Kids i think cope with the flights far better than adults- but you have to ask how you cope after 24 hours of no sleep and grouchy children......

will enjoy chilling at Dubai (never been) before the hecticness begins - but I am also sure two days will be enough as we will just want to get there and get on... short stop overs are frustrating and feel just like hell trying to walk around, stay awake etc etc

scotsista Sep 24th 2010 7:17 pm

[QUOTE=heldownunder;8873543]
but you have to ask how you cope after 24 hours of no sleep and grouchy children......

Don't cope very well without a few hours sleep actually :lol:

Are you moving to Brisbane?

I'm thinking either Singapore or Dubai for a few days like you said. Have you booked accommodation in Dubai yet?

heldownunder Sep 24th 2010 7:23 pm

singapore very expensive for accommodation but fab city - never been to Dubai

my parents have suggested premier inn at airport in Dubai- £58 per room per night and taxis cheap... has a pool and costa coffee. they also recommended the big red bus tour around the city as a way to see lots in short time. (ticket valid 24 hour but can do one afternoon and then following morning so less tiring for kids...)

there are some gorgeous looking hotels but I think I'd prefer to save as much money as possible til we get to Brisbane... (one I priced was £1250 for three nights!!!!)

heldownunder Sep 24th 2010 7:24 pm

oh yes moving to Brisbane on 457

brits1 Sep 24th 2010 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by scotsista (Post 8873243)
Hi there

Looking for advice from parents who have travelled to Australia before with young children under 5. Our children will be 5 and 2 when we travel.

Would you recommend a stopover (my preference) or direct flight (hubby's preference)?

I've had a quick look and air-fare wise there doesn't appear to be too much of a difference.

Thanks in advance.

We do it all the time, it's on your way/back and really except for the hotels no real extra outley...spending mone ofcourse but a great way to see the world while you are passing through, we have flown both ways and have stopped off at Hong Kong, K.Lumpur, Singapore, Dubai....all great destinations and for us a great way to catch up on jet lag....we always book our own flights over the internet and always use Agoda for our Hotels and over the years have saved us a lot less than the agents but do which you feel more comfortable with.....good luck and enjoy yourselves....

quoll Sep 25th 2010 6:15 am

I'm a straight through gal. Especially when I had the kids - I didnt want to run the risk of them catching something unpleasant en route. When we were young and childless we did the stop over thing but not for years now and I dont really think I would bother. I always get as late a departure as I can (in both directions), work all day if I can (or sightsee) so that I am knackered and then sleep most of the way. I used to do that when the kids were little as well and did it with my granddaughter at 18 months last year. The kids always seem to cope better with the sleeping than the adults do.

moneypenny20 Sep 25th 2010 7:44 am

Originally Posted by heldownunder (Post 8873564)
singapore very expensive for accommodation but fab city -

If you travel with Singapore Air you should take advantage of the Singapore Stopover hotel offers. Very cheap accommodation in very good hotels. Loads of other cheap rates on attractions as well. Well worth it in my opinion.

DadAgain Sep 25th 2010 8:03 am

Straight through for us every time....

Yes travelling for 24 hours is exhuasting - but stopping for a couple of days just means it feels like your travelling for 72 hours before you finally get to rest.

Think of it this way.

If your stopping in Singapore for a day, you'll more than likely leave Heathrow late evening, struggle to sleep on the plaen and 14 hours later be in early evening Singapore. You'll feel like crap and want to sleep. You'll find a hotel and quite likely sleep for a few hours waking oddly early in the morning. all day you'll wander around feeling out of sorts - but compelled to try and see the place 'cos your know you're not there long. It'll be STINKING hot (Singapore always is) and all the time you know you're about to jump back on a plane again for another 9 hours. Even before lunchtime you'll be thinking 'S**T we could've een there by now if we hadnt stopped' and will just want to sit down veg.

If you only have a 1 day stop over then about lunchtime you'll think about finding the airport again and despite still feeling really odd - you'll find yourself back in the airport ready to continue. he kids wil be a mixture of tired-manic and unconscious and will not cooperate with basic instructions this time despite them having been delightful when you left Heathrow...could have and a little more frazzled than you might have been - and what for? Did you really see anything culturally valuable in your few hours sweating in a strange city?..

Still having said all that - some people seem to like it.... :rofl::p

Eventually you'll arrive in BNE/SYD/wherever a day later than you

spalen Sep 25th 2010 12:42 pm

Forget the travel aspect

Think about this - when you are in australia - a holiday overseas will cost you *at least* 6-8K in flights alone.....

You are giong to have the opportunity to see some of the worlds most fantastic iconic cities for practically no extra money

Take some time in Hong Kong, or Bangkok, or Singapore, you wont regret it they are wonderful places. Truly as iconic as new york (well - Singapore and Hong kong are, BKK is a bit of a public loo).

steve_kelly_and_boys Sep 25th 2010 12:56 pm

we also had to think about this when we came in april , 3 boys 8 , 5 and 4

decided to go for it as i hate wasting time with all the checking in and didnt think we would enjoy the stopover anyway as we would all be tired and ratty

we flew so that we left england in the evening and we arrived in melbourne in the morning

wrong move ( for us ) as although they slept well on all the flights it was a real struggle to keep them awake this end

we all ended up crashing around 3pm after lunch and that was it lights out and all of us getting up around anything between 1am and 4am for nearly a week

if we were to do it all again we would definitely arrange it so that we land in the evening as it is straight to bed

good luck looking back at it it wasnt as bad as we were expecting

scotsista Sep 25th 2010 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys (Post 8874782)
we also had to think about this when we came in april , 3 boys 8 , 5 and 4

decided to go for it as i hate wasting time with all the checking in and didnt think we would enjoy the stopover anyway as we would all be tired and ratty

we flew so that we left england in the evening and we arrived in melbourne in the morning

wrong move ( for us ) as although they slept well on all the flights it was a real struggle to keep them awake this end

we all ended up crashing around 3pm after lunch and that was it lights out and all of us getting up around anything between 1am and 4am for nearly a week

if we were to do it all again we would definitely arrange it so that we land in the evening as it is straight to bed

good luck looking back at it it wasnt as bad as we were expecting

Thanks for that - will bear the times in mind! Leaning towards going to Singapore for a few days if we can find cheap accommodation. :fingerscrossed: