Reload this Page >

Diploma in Counselling

Diploma in Counselling

Old Mar 18th 2007, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

steady1neddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Diploma in Counselling

Hi
Is there anyone who is doing, or has completed, a Diploma in Counselling in Aus?
In particular I'm looking for advice on the best association to affiliate with and how easy it's been to find work/set up business. thanks, Clare
Old May 16th 2007, 11:53 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diploma in Counselling

Originally Posted by steady1neddy
Hi
Is there anyone who is doing, or has completed, a Diploma in Counselling in Aus?
In particular I'm looking for advice on the best association to affiliate with and how easy it's been to find work/set up business. thanks, Clare
bump you up
Old May 20th 2007, 5:30 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

this should help with overview of the work:
http://www.myfuture.edu.au/services/...0&ASCO=251300A

...and this gives the entry route and professional association link: (check state!, this is for qld)
http://www.myfuture.edu.au/services/...D&ASCO=251300A

Old May 20th 2007, 7:36 am
I'd rather be fishin' !!!

Kernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud of

Hi
Hi Clare

I did my diploma in the UK but I did start it in Sydney. A friend who completed in Sydney is running her own practice but the problem she encountered was that, unless you are a psychology graduate as well, jobs are difficult to come by. And she has to supplement her income by taking on an office admin job on a part-time basis.

I guess, like anywhere else, you have to see what your options are in the area you live in, what your specific area of expertise is, etc.

I am planning on setting up my own practice when I get to Sydney in June but I have to say that unless I get a fair number of clients, I might not be able to sustain the practice from a financial point of view.

It's a case of doing the diploma, networking with other counsellors, and see how things go from there.

Go for it. Good luck.
Old May 20th 2007, 7:46 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Just passing through I'll give you another bump up...
Old May 20th 2007, 9:51 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
These are the people in OZ to get in touch with about this.

http://www.theaca.net.au/
Old May 20th 2007, 12:09 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

You should bear in mind that workcover and medicare have expanded to cover psychologists but not counsellors so thats probably the reason why jobs are very hard to come by. That and the health funds cover the former and not counsellors.
Old May 20th 2007, 3:38 pm
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joeyballantyne
this should help with overview of the work:
http://www.myfuture.edu.au/services/...0&ASCO=251300A

...and this gives the entry route and professional association link: (check state!, this is for qld)
http://www.myfuture.edu.au/services/...D&ASCO=251300A

thanks very much, appreciate it
Old May 20th 2007, 3:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Kernow1
Hi Clare

I did my diploma in the UK but I did start it in Sydney. A friend who completed in Sydney is running her own practice but the problem she encountered was that, unless you are a psychology graduate as well, jobs are difficult to come by. And she has to supplement her income by taking on an office admin job on a part-time basis.

I guess, like anywhere else, you have to see what your options are in the area you live in, what your specific area of expertise is, etc.

I am planning on setting up my own practice when I get to Sydney in June but I have to say that unless I get a fair number of clients, I might not be able to sustain the practice from a financial point of view.

It's a case of doing the diploma, networking with other counsellors, and see how things go from there.

Go for it. Good luck.
thanks, that's pretty much the same conclusion i'm coming to as well. Trouble is I can only study or work part time and qualifying as a psychologist would take me 6 years part-time! it's just not feasible. thanks for your view.
Old May 20th 2007, 3:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by annqldau
Just passing through I'll give you another bump up...
thanks very much!
Old May 20th 2007, 3:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
These are the people in OZ to get in touch with about this.

http://www.theaca.net.au/
thanks very much, having done more research since i originally posted they seem to be the main one and theirs was the course I was planning to do anyway. nice to have it confirmed. thanks again
Old May 20th 2007, 3:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Centurion
You should bear in mind that workcover and medicare have expanded to cover psychologists but not counsellors so thats probably the reason why jobs are very hard to come by. That and the health funds cover the former and not counsellors.
yes, have discovered this during my research, seems to be a huge bone of contension with the counselling associations. Unfortunately, I cannot study or work more than part-time so qualifying as a psychologist is just not feasible - it would take me 6 years! I really want to do it so the counselling diploma route seems to be my only option. Lets hope the counselling associations get somewhere with their lobbying and i'll have to brush up on my networking and marketing skills! thanks for your comment, appreciate it.