British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Dip HE nurse and electrician move to Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/dip-he-nurse-electrician-move-oz-922204/)

Luisec143 Feb 19th 2019 12:00 pm

Dip HE nurse and electrician move to Oz

Hi Guys, I am a qualified nurse with Dip HE and 40 credits towards BSc and 10 years experience and my husband is a qualified electrician with over 10 years experience, we have 2 children aged 11 and 15.
Basically I am understanding that Dip HE is no longer accepted as a qualification for a nurse but I am wondering if it will be accepted for an enrolled nurse? I will not be working in Australia due to a disability but have the funds to support my family and my condition, so therefore do not really want to top up my Dip HE if I really don't have too, but we need my skills to help towards the 189/190 visa otherwise we only score 60 points.
Would anyone be able to advised?
We need to look at a more permanent visa so our children can attend school without fees.

Thanks in advance

Lu

Dorothy Feb 19th 2019 12:43 pm

Re: Dip HE nurse and electrician move to Oz

Originally Posted by Luisec143 (Post 12639308)
Hi Guys, I am a qualified nurse with Dip HE and 40 credits towards BSc and 10 years experience and my husband is a qualified electrician with over 10 years experience, we have 2 children aged 11 and 15.
Basically I am understanding that Dip HE is no longer accepted as a qualification for a nurse but I am wondering if it will be accepted for an enrolled nurse? I will not be working in Australia due to a disability but have the funds to support my family and my condition, so therefore do not really want to top up my Dip HE if I really don't have too, but we need my skills to help towards the 189/190 visa otherwise we only score 60 points.
Would anyone be able to advised?
We need to look at a more permanent visa so our children can attend school without fees.

Thanks in advance

Lu

Your diploma would likely count toward EN if you went back to work, however if you are not on the same list as your husband then your skill doesn't count for points. It looks like enrolled nurse is not on the MLTSSL.

I would think you might like to speak to a registered migration agent who has experience with medical issues. If you have a disability it may be a snag in your migration plans.

Luisec143 Feb 19th 2019 1:27 pm

Thank you Dorothy for your reply, I've looked at the 489 visa as that has both our occupations on it for SA, as far as my disability is concerned as long as it does not have significant impact on Australian medical services I should be ok, I may have a spinal cord stimulator fitted by the time we go (hopefully if we go) which will need the battery pack changing every 10 years but I may just return back to the UK for that if not I can pay to go private in Australia.

christmasoompa Feb 19th 2019 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Luisec143 (Post 12639371)
I may have a spinal cord stimulator fitted by the time we go (hopefully if we go) which will need the battery pack changing every 10 years but I may just return back to the UK for that if not I can pay to go private in Australia.

May as well pay to have it done in Australia if needed - you'd need to pay to have it done in the UK anyway, as you'd no longer be eligible for non-emergency NHS treatment.

Luisec143 Feb 19th 2019 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12639380)
May as well pay to have it done in Australia if needed - you'd need to pay to have it done in the UK anyway, as you'd no longer be eligible for non-emergency NHS treatment.

👍🏻👍🏻

Dorothy Feb 20th 2019 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Luisec143 (Post 12639371)
Thank you Dorothy for your reply, I've looked at the 489 visa as that has both our occupations on it for SA, as far as my disability is concerned as long as it does not have significant impact on Australian medical services I should be ok, I may have a spinal cord stimulator fitted by the time we go (hopefully if we go) which will need the battery pack changing every 10 years but I may just return back to the UK for that if not I can pay to go private in Australia.

Your occupation may be on the SA list, but in order to get the points you both need to be on the same skilled list for DIBP.

Are you certain that you will pass the medical?.

Luisec143 Feb 20th 2019 1:29 pm

Sorry I don't understand what you mean when you say on the same skilled list for DIPB?
I'm pretty sure I'd pass the medical, I cant see why not. My condition although unpredictable does not require much medical intervention as little can be done for CRPS.

spuddyo Feb 20th 2019 8:03 pm

Would it not be easier to use your partners Electrician Qualifications and have him apply for a Skilled Visa ?

Pollyana Feb 20th 2019 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by spuddyo (Post 12640521)
Would it not be easier to use your partners Electrician Qualifications and have him apply for a Skilled Visa ?

She still has to pass the same medical

Luisec143 Feb 21st 2019 8:09 am

We need the points from my education and skills to get 70 points.

Dorothy Feb 21st 2019 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Luisec143 (Post 12640783)
We need the points from my education and skills to get 70 points.

But you can't use your skill for points. Your skill (EN) is not on the same l8st as your partner . Only RN (which you cannot be with a diploma in Aus) is on the MLTSSL.