Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dilemma for my son - Bricklaying or Cabinet Maker?

Dilemma for my son - Bricklaying or Cabinet Maker?

Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Aimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really nice
Default Dilemma for my son - Bricklaying or Cabinet Maker?

Hello to everyone

I was hoping I would be able to get some information from wise tradesmen out there - lol

Myself (aimy), hubbie (john) and son (joe) will be arriving in Brisbane in the next couple of months. One of my biggest worries is my son. He has no real qualifiactions & has come up with the idea of getting a trade - Bricklaying or Cabinet making at one of the Tafe's. I'm all for him getting a trade but have no idea which one. I've heard from brickie's in the past saying steer clear but that's what my son is leaning towards. I want him to think long term also

I know it's his decision in the end, but it would be good to hear from anyone with opinions or feelings about this

This is my 1st post, so just wanted to say HI also

Aimy xx
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all
Default Re: Dilemma for my son - Bricklaying or Cabinet Maker?

hi
have you thought about contacting some companys in theses fields out there and asking there opinion, it may lead to some form of apprentiship, worst case senario you will have a better idea of whats what.
john
Old Nov 14th 2008, 6:16 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aimy
Hello to everyone

I was hoping I would be able to get some information from wise tradesmen out there - lol

Myself (aimy), hubbie (john) and son (joe) will be arriving in Brisbane in the next couple of months. One of my biggest worries is my son. He has no real qualifiactions & has come up with the idea of getting a trade - Bricklaying or Cabinet making at one of the Tafe's. I'm all for him getting a trade but have no idea which one. I've heard from brickie's in the past saying steer clear but that's what my son is leaning towards. I want him to think long term also

I know it's his decision in the end, but it would be good to hear from anyone with opinions or feelings about this

Aimy xx

to be honest i`d be steering him towards plumbing sparking, carpentry, tiling or roofer if they are on offer, most houses in qld are timber framed most commercial properties are concrete so the trades listed above are the more popular ones
Old Nov 14th 2008, 8:47 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hello to everyone

Aimy xx

Always renovating kitchens etc here. Maybe cabinet maker better option....??
Old Nov 15th 2008, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Aimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really niceAimy is just really nice

If I had my way my I would prefer Plumbing or Cabinet making for him like you mentioned Steve O & Stitch. I guess I will have to ring around companies cause I can't find any plumbing courses at the Queenslands Tafe's
Old Nov 15th 2008, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

If he feels he would like to go on and become a builder eventually and contract other trades to carry out the work then tell him to go down the bricklayer route as the only trades that can go on to get a builders license are a bricklayer or carpenter not cabinetmaker. Just a thought for later.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 1:34 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hello to everyone

Aimy xx
Wyer and Craw are always looking for cabinetmakers. Maybe they would consider taking on an apprentice, or a th the very least give some idea as to whether or not he should give it a go.

Wyer & Craw Kitchens
Cabinet Makers - Stafford, QLD

Address

Cnr Webster Rd/Wolverhampton St
Stafford
QLD, 4053
Australia
Contact Details

Ph:
(07) 3856 2400
Old Nov 16th 2008, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Just saw an ad for these on tv, might be of some help

http://atq.com.au