Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dilemma - Letter of reference

Dilemma - Letter of reference

Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:25 am
Just Joined

the-eleys is on a distinguished road
Default Dilemma - Letter of reference

We are just about to put our 47sk form in - our bigggest problem is getting a letter of reference from my husbands employers - they are not aware of us wanting to emgrate and when they do could cause all sorts of problems for my husband. What do we do? What has others done regarding this?
Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dilemma - Letter of reference

You are doing no more than investigating an opportunity - getting a visa doesn;t mean you will move on for sure does it? Applying for a visa is way before that stage.

I followed the tried and tested Human Resources route and made it clear that this was aprivate matters and had no problems - hope this is available for yourself.

Bezza
Old Jul 25th 2005, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

the-eleys is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Berian
You are doing no more than investigating an opportunity - getting a visa doesn;t mean you will move on for sure does it? Applying for a visa is way before that stage.

I followed the tried and tested Human Resources route and made it clear that this was aprivate matters and had no problems - hope this is available for yourself.

Bezza
Hi - unfortunately no - there isnt an HR department where he can go - so we are doing the honest thing and coming straight out with it - my poor hubby had panic sweats on this morning - took a copy of the Visa application booklet and will ask this afternoon after a meeting he has with his manager - what else could he do. Will let you know the outcome ... just pray hard for him and his situation at work.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by the-eleys
Hi - unfortunately no - there isnt an HR department where he can go - so we are doing the honest thing and coming straight out with it - my poor hubby had panic sweats on this morning - took a copy of the Visa application booklet and will ask this afternoon after a meeting he has with his manager - what else could he do. Will let you know the outcome ... just pray hard for him and his situation at work.
Thats what I did, I told them it would take a couple of years anyway and I haven't had any problems, in fact I didn't expect such a glowing reference. The only problem now is I get people asking me on a daily basis when I'm going and I seem to spend a lot of time listening to people planning for when I'm not here.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

robert eley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spottydog
Thats what I did, I told them it would take a couple of years anyway and I haven't had any problems, in fact I didn't expect such a glowing reference. The only problem now is I get people asking me on a daily basis when I'm going and I seem to spend a lot of time listening to people planning for when I'm not here.
hi - well good news - my hubby spoke to his manager today and his reaction was completely different to what we thought it would be - so honesty IS the best ... It has certainly lifted a huge amount of weight off of our shoulders - so good to know eh! The next hurdle now is to get our visa 47sk off - with a letter of referecne - just cant wait...
Old Jul 25th 2005, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Great news for you and as you point out it is only the starting point of a process which may or may not come to anything. Beware the he's already left syndrome bene there and done that!

I start a new job in Sept. Perhaps I'd better get a letter of reference from my currnet employer? Wouldn't look to good asking for something in mid October would it?

Bezza