Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dilemma! Can you recommend places with good Theatre and Arts Scene

Dilemma! Can you recommend places with good Theatre and Arts Scene

Old Jan 29th 2010, 11:31 am
Just Joined

luvvie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dilemma! Can you recommend places with good Theatre and Arts Scene

I have a theatre company here in the UK. I want to continue working in this area when we move to Australia.

My husband is a Civil Engineer and we've applied for a 175. As we're not state sponsored he can work anywhere. And so the dilemma begins, after researching jobs on Seek, there seems to be work available for him in most areas.

We don't want to move to Canberra, Darwin or Sydney so the million dollar question is.. where would you recommend that has a good theatre and arts scene.

I've done a little research and Adelaide seems to have a fringe festival, but some have said that its dull there! Having never been I can't comment. Any ideas or suggestions would be great as we are going to start planning our reccie trip soon!

Cheers Lou x
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to all
Default Re: Dilemma! Can you recommend places with good Theatre and Arts Scene

I think Melbourne is what you're looking for.
I believe it has more theatres than any other Australian city and is known as the cultural capital of Australia.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! Adelaide is far from dull, it has a lot more than just the Fringe Festival, have a look at the Festival website for a better idea. Melbourne is a great place too.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

This may help you: http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/Ausst...41720_2009.pdf

Some surprising results in the state by state comparisons.

Last edited by fish.01; Jan 29th 2010 at 12:49 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

luvvie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions. Has anybody any idea what the arts scene is like in Brisbane and Perth? Do they have good theatres etc?
Old Jan 29th 2010, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

Melbourne's definitely the place to be for the art/theatre scene.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 10:51 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvvie
Hi

Thanks for your suggestions. Has anybody any idea what the arts scene is like in Brisbane and Perth? Do they have good theatres etc?
Theatre? In Perth? Have you looked at Fish's link?
Old Jan 29th 2010, 11:04 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Dilemma! Can you recommend places with good Theatre and Arts Scene

Definitely Melbourne. No contest. Adelaide is in second place.

Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvvie
Hi

Brisbane has quite a few and a thriving scene at the moment....but it depends if you are just looking for a good number or the most. If you are looking for the most theatres I would say Melbourne...a Melbourne historian told me last week they now have too many theatres in Melbourne and some are under utilised.

If you look at that link I posted above WA comes out quite well in a lot of the per capita comparisons but the figure for theatre dollars in WA does not appear to be filled out so maybe it was not available?
Old Jan 30th 2010, 5:25 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Theatre? In Perth? Have you looked at Fish's link?
If you had looked at Fish's link a bit more closely you'd see that WA exceeds SA (the OP was originally considering Adelaide) in just about every comparison with respect to total figures contributing to Cultural Arts. Furthermore, as a ratio of the total state population, WA/Perth is on a par with the other states contrary to the misaligned idea that cultural activities are non-existant.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Theatre is definitely not my area of expertise, but even I know about the WA Academy of Performing Arts at Edith Cowan University, which has many famous graduates. Apart from producing performers, there's also the need for lecturers and I know a mum from school who lectures at WAAPA as well as working in a small production company. Apparently Perth's isolation produces great creativity and the possibility of living and learning outside the box, without being pidgeon-holed (so I've read). Someone else mentioned that it's much easier starting from scratch in a band, for example, in Perth. Also huge possibilities for working with indigenous communities.

Also, the OP's husband being a civil engineer would result in loads of job opportunities and shed-loads of cash in Perth.