Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

dilemma...calling all dog owners/lovers.

dilemma...calling all dog owners/lovers.

Old Apr 12th 2008, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

thehowarths will become famous soon enoughthehowarths will become famous soon enough
Default dilemma...calling all dog owners/lovers.

Hi - i have a dilemma and would be grateful for your views/comments...

I adopted an old lurcher 4 years ago - was told he would have only a couple more years in him and i rescued him from being put to sleep telling myself he would grow old and live happily forever with me. (he'd been a bit badly treated in his past and was a bit scarred from it)

Well, 4 years later he's still here - old and grumpy (i have a scar or two to prove it!) and very deaf. My family and I are about to get our visa and plan to migrate later this year.

Thing is...this is where i feel terrible...i don't want to take my old boy with us. He hates the heat, chases spiders and is still on his last legs (he probably wouldn't get the ok to travel anyway).

So, I want to have him put to sleep. It's a very horrible thing to have to admit, but I don't think he'd cope with being rehomed again. I don't think he'd find a home anyway at his age, I want to leave knowing he had a good life and obviously, being put to sleep, he wouldn't know anything about what was bein done to him.

I feel terrible about planning this, and would really appreciate your views on the subject. I'm worried as i don't know his history or exactly how old he is, he may well have another 5 years in him!

I think i want someone to say 'yep your doing the right thing' as i don't want to feel guilty for the rest of my life. i am a dog lover and i am finding it very hard to deal with the thought of leaving my lovely old boy here.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 10:47 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dilemma...calling all dog owners/lovers.

Bit harsh...! Have you spoken to the likes of RSPCA, etc to get their views...? I think dogs are a bit more adaptable than many of us think... I'd have thought he'd be OK going somewhere else... might find a lovely old lady who wants an equally deaf and irritable companion for the short time she has left...
Old Apr 12th 2008, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

thehowarths will become famous soon enoughthehowarths will become famous soon enough

yep your right - it is harsh. The general comments i've had have been that there are so many other cute young dogs who aren't deaf and grumpy waiting for homes, mine wouldn't stand a chance. As i said, he was rescued from death row 4 years ago by someone who worked at the pound who loved lurchers. unfortunately, there are too many abandoned and screwed up lurchers in dog rescue places. Mine isn't cute and cuddly and wouldn't stand a chance i don't think.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:15 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a rescue organisation in your area? It may be that someone else is looking for just your dog. I know when we adopted our cat back in Canada he was already 9 years old and had only days left to live before he was put down. He lasted 7 more wonderful years with us - eventually put down by us because he developed a brain tumour which rendered him blind and unable to walk without pain.

I'm certainly not one to judge, as it really is your decision. However, why not look into what it would take to bring him with you? It's not always hot here. Lots of dogs chase spiders. Dogs adapt to the change. And unless he fails the vet checks he probably would be able to come with you.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:19 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

< biting tongue here >
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thehowarths

I think i want someone to say 'yep your doing the right thing' as i don't want to feel guilty for the rest of my life.
I'm sorry but that 'someone' is not going to be me. (not said harshly)
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:01 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

No, I'm sorry, I can't condone putting a relatively healthy dog to sleep, or should I say to death. I applaud you for taking him in in the first place but, when you did that, you made a commitment to him.

If I thought like this, I would be putting my 3 cats back on the street next week.

If you really can't rehome him, and you really can't take him with you, why don't you find him a nice retirement home (shelter) and pay for his upkeep?
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:04 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

I adopted an old lurcher 4 years ago - was told he would have only a couple more years in him and i rescued him from being put to sleep telling myself he would grow old and live happily forever with me. (he'd been a bit badly treated in his past and was a bit scarred from it)

Well, 4 years later he's still here - old and grumpy (i have a scar or two to prove it!) and very deaf.
Sounds very sad but humane thing to do. Thumbs up but it should be a sombre smile not a big grin
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

I personally think a dog should only be put down on medical grounds. Look into rehoming him or bringing him with you.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Your vet should be able to tell you how old and what shape he is in. However, it sounds like he may have bitten you on occasions. If that's right, I don't think you should re-home him and risk him biting anyone else. I think you should put him down because the problem will only get worse as he gets older. I'd get some advice from the vet though. Good luck.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

brickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nice

We bought our two year old lab with us, and I have found that having a dog in Australia has it's problems. I walk him every day, however, the heat is a problem and there are very few places where he can run free. There are also a lot of very aggressive dogs here, and quite a few dodgy cross breeds.

We did also have a very very elderly cat back in the UK, who chose to live most of the time in the garden, we never thought that we would be able to find her a good home, and I did seriously consider having her put to sleep, thankfully a friend turned up out of the blue and has taken her on, and she has the chance to live out the rest of her life in a really good place.

I do understand where you are coming from, this is partly because you are a good owner and have taken good care of your dog and only want it to go to another good home. You know what is best for your dog, I wish you all the best.

I have also own a greyhound in the past and know that even homing a health greyhound is very hard.

Tina
Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

It is very difficult when a pet lasts longer than expected! However, I would look into having him re-homed as I am sure as long as he's is fed, watered and loved he will be okay. I don't think I could do what you are suggesting if he is still reasonably healthy and happy - there must be an alternative.

We had a very old cat (21 3/4!) and we put off moving for 3 years because of his age - (he was 18 when the visa was granted) - stupid thing was at 18 he was fit as a fiddle and we probably could have taken him over. However, we got to the point where coming out was now or never. However, by the time we did make all the final arrangements and we thought we were going to have to do the inevitable as he was going downhill fast - but even so it was cutting us up the thought of doing that to him. Our vet only gave him 3 months in any case but even she suggested looking into getting him re-homed - so there is always hope!

In the end nature took it's course and he passed away before we left - in someways we were very grateful as then we knew the vet was right in her diagnosis but we were still so upset about it. I miss my little chum like crazy and we've not be in a position out here to have another one yet.

On another note a friend went to the US for her hubbys job - they had adopted a local cat and wasn't sure whether to take him or not. In the end they did and only a few months later he got cancer and died - however, my friend said she was so glad she took him and was able to spend his last few months together.

So, get the vet to check him out and if he's okay bring him over. Most dogs manage to deal with the heat - you just have to plan for it, maybe come over Spring or Autumn so you can all get used to it. Even if he does last only a few months out here then you will know you did your best for him - otherwise the guilt will eat you up.

Hope this helps.

Kim
Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:44 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that you should get the vet to check him out.
It's unlikely your vet will recommend putting him to sleep if he's still relatively healthy. Dogs should never be put down for convenience.
I'm sure you've thought it through though.
If he is really on his last legs and biting people then your vet may well agree it's for the best.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 7:20 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
Your vet should be able to tell you how old and what shape he is in. However, it sounds like he may have bitten you on occasions. If that's right, I don't think you should re-home him and risk him biting anyone else. I think you should put him down because the problem will only get worse as he gets older. I'd get some advice from the vet though. Good luck.

At risk of being stoned and pilloried, I have to say I agree. If he does bite people then he will be diffcilut to rehome anyway and I for one could not bear the thought of my dog biting someone and then being badly treated "again" as a result, and perhaps ending his days miserably. Making the decision to have a dog put to sleep is the hardest thing, but you can make that decision, something which we cannot do for people. I agree that if he is young and healthy then a home may be found but there are hundreds of old dogs out there living there life in kennels, waiting for someone to love them for their last few months. I know the kenel staff do a wonderful job but there can be no subsititute for a one to one relationship.

I am in the process of rehoming three dogs - two were rescue dogs (one a lurcher). I have placed my 12 month old border terrier with a lovely couple and he seems to be getting on fine. My four year old lurcher met his prospective new owners yesterday and will go in a few weeks when they move into their new house. My collie - well he is a different story. He has severe behavioural problems. He bites, he's possesive, agressive, hyperactive (like most collies - i hear you) and would not cope with the stress of the journey to Oz as he would probably bite the hand that fed him if you know what I mean. Luckily, I think my brother is going to take him but I have and would still consider putting him to sleep if I could not find a suitable home for him.

I dont envy you your decision, but trust your heart, and you will make the right one for you and your dog. Good luck
Old Apr 13th 2008, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Well, 4 years later he's still here - old and grumpy (i have a scar or two to prove it!) and very deaf. My family and I are about to get our visa and plan to migrate later this year.

Thing is...this is where i feel terrible...i don't want to take my old boy with us. He hates the heat, chases spiders and is still on his last legs (he probably wouldn't get the ok to travel anyway).

So, I want to have him put to sleep. It's a very horrible thing to have to admit, but I don't think he'd cope with being rehomed again. I don't think he'd find a home anyway at his age, I want to leave knowing he had a good life and obviously, being put to sleep, he wouldn't know anything about what was bein done to him.

I feel terrible about planning this, and would really appreciate your views on the subject. I'm worried as i don't know his history or exactly how old he is, he may well have another 5 years in him!

I think i want someone to say 'yep your doing the right thing' as i don't want to feel guilty for the rest of my life. i am a dog lover and i am finding it very hard to deal with the thought of leaving my lovely old boy here.
I'm sorry but I think you are very wrong.
All power to you for rescuing him - but to have him put to sleep is wrong.
We were in exactly the same position as you 2 years ago and we decided we couldn't live with ourselves if we had our dogs destroyed - both were rescued and had issues!!
We decided to postpone the move for as long as we could. Both died within a year of each other - cancer and old age. It was bloody hard being there whilst being put to sleep - I couldn't do it- hubby held them as they died -but at least I sleep well at night knowing we did all we could for them.
I understand that this must be very hard for you - but there must be an alternative.
I apologise if this sounds harsh as it sounds as you really love him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.