Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Digital Cordless Phone / Answerphone

Digital Cordless Phone / Answerphone

Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

ballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura about
Default Digital Cordless Phone / Answerphone

Hi

I know this has been asked loads of times and I have searched the forum, but seem to come up with conflicting advice.

Bottom line - will my phones work in Oz?

I hear that it is illegal to bring them in, that they cause problems with other frequencies e.g. garage doors, ambulances etc etc, yet they work . . . .

So please please please can someone advise me whether to donate them to my nearest and dearest (the ones we are leaving behind), or to take them with me.

Thanks
A very confused imminent emigrant
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:30 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Digital Cordless Phone / Answerphone

Originally Posted by ballyhoo
Hi

I know this has been asked loads of times and I have searched the forum, but seem to come up with conflicting advice.

I hear that it is illegal to bring them in, that they cause problems with other frequencies e.g. garage doors, ambulances etc etc, yet they work . . . .

So please please please can someone advise me whether to donate them to my nearest and dearest (the ones we are leaving behind), or to take them with me.

Thanks
Hi we had shippers round yesterday for a quote and I asked if we could take them and he said no they are illegal.

Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

ballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by possoms
Hi we had shippers round yesterday for a quote and I asked if we could take them and he said no they are illegal.

Brilliant. Thanks for the quick reply. They're now on offer to the family!
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:56 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Brilliant. Thanks for the quick reply. They're now on offer to the family!
Hold still!!!!!!!!!
I just did a search and hey digital cordless phones are for sale aplenty in Aus ??????????
Old Jul 7th 2005, 8:59 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Hold still!!!!!!!!!
I just did a search and hey digital cordless phones are for sale aplenty in Aus ??????????
Far as I understand it the digital phones in Aus area different frequency to the UK ones.....
Old Jul 7th 2005, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

rayandjane is on a distinguished road

Hi

Thanks
I think you'll find UK telephones aren't acceptable as they require Australian Telecom approval (just like telephones in the UK need to be BABT approved). Not sure how they'll interfere/screw up the phone system but if they're not approved in this country and you connect them, then I think you become liable for any problems caused!

Hope this helps. If not, try out the Australian telecoms providers websites.

R&J
Old Jul 7th 2005, 10:24 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

My UK Digitial phone - DECT phone works fine. The police dont come round and I cant hear what they're saying on my calls.

Just keep it & use it. Its highly unlikely you're going to cause a problem that means telstra comes round after you!. If your phone breaks plug in a 9$ phone from Coles and then ring telstra!.
Old Jul 8th 2005, 3:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Aus use same DECT frquency as UK. You need to get an Aus telephone lead for your cordless phone from Dick Smith. Bear in mind the transformer is built into the plug so you will need to sort a UK socket using a 2-way block.

Ian
Old Jul 8th 2005, 3:50 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,

We brought a DECT cordless digital phone with us from the UK - plugged it in and away you go. We did need a socket adapter in our last house as the phone sockets were quite antiquated but we don't seem to need one in the new house.

Don't know about it being illegal - I certainly haven't heard that one and you can buy pretty much the same phones here. We have had no problems and are glad we brought it. Take it with you.
Old Jul 8th 2005, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
I cant hear what they're saying on my calls.

Makes for a bit of a one way conversation. Is this your phone for calling the inlaws,

JTL
Old Jul 8th 2005, 4:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by emmahafryn
Don't know about it being illegal - .
Phones technically need to be approved by the country in which they are used.

Both the UK and Australia have regulations that state they must conform to the countries technical conditions, and have the applicable countries stamp of approval.

The likelihood of them being checked is very small, but... if your phone goes "bang" at any time, and the whole phone system in the area goes down, hide your "foreign" phone quickly !!

When I asked about using an Australian one in the UK, I was told it could cost £1,000's if it caused a problem such as that. I assume the rules would be similar here

Old Jul 8th 2005, 4:34 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

For sure - and if the phone network goes bang in a big way near my house they'll need to bring Scuba equipment to prove it was my handset ;-)
Old Jul 8th 2005, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

For cordless phones that are not DECT, they must comply to

https://www.aca.gov.au/aca_home/publ...fo/miscpip.htm

summary of frequencies taken from this doc:-
Cordless Telephones authorised under the Miscellaneous Devices Class Licence may operate in the following frequency bands:
    • 1.7175 MHz to 1.7925 MHz;
    • 30.0625 MHz to 30.3125 MHz;
    • 39.7625 MHz to 40.250 MHz.
For DECT phones, they must comply to https://www.aca.gov.au/aca_home/legi...s/cordless.htm

(you need to download the cordless.rtf file)

Summary of frequencies
(1) This Class Licence authorises any person to operate a handset that uses a frequency:

(a) greater than 857 MHz and not greater than 861 MHz; or

(b) greater than 1880 MHz and not greater than 1900 MHz.

Note ABCD's point about it not being legal to connect a phone that is not approved for use in australia, but it is very unlikely anyone will know of course. Its use can't be traced (unless you leave it plugged in and then call someone round to fix a fault.)

- A general comment regarding getting caught using any illegal radio equipment (if your equipment transmits on an illegal frequency for Australia)
It is unlikely, but possible you will get caught. The likelyhood of causing interference to someone who will complain depends on the frequency and the power you transmit. The likelyhood of getting caught depends on who you are causing problems for.

If you use it regularly and somone with legitimately licenced equipment gets radio interference, he can (and probably will) call out the equivalent of the DTI who will be able to track down where the interference is coming from. The equipment needs to be switched on when they are tracing it, but if you use it at a regular time of day then it becomes pretty easy. There will be quite big fines.
Old Jul 8th 2005, 6:51 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

I read loads on this topic on helpful old threads, was convinced our DECT phone would work, bought a new phone cable .......... and it didn't. Don't know what I did wrong, or whether it is a question of some do, some don't.
It is illegal I think, but who will ever find out?
Old Jul 8th 2005, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Originally Posted by webgum
I read loads on this topic on helpful old threads, was convinced our DECT phone would work, bought a new phone cable .......... and it didn't. Don't know what I did wrong, or whether it is a question of some do, some don't.
It is illegal I think, but who will ever find out?
It seems most likely that your phone died in transit. A DECT phone will work in Aus (the radio waves don't know they are in a foriegn country, and they are only traveling between your base station and your handset), the only slight question is whether it is legal or not. I had a quick look for frequencies in UK (I haven't lived there for 8 years) and I found
DECT Frequency - 1880-1900MHz UK, which indicates DECT phones use the same frequency in both UK and Aus (as someone pointed out earlier), so a DECT tranmission on those frequencies, is not illegal.

If any cordeless phone fits the above frequencies (will say so in the manual) then it will not cause any interference to anyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.