Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Telecommunications cabling l

Telecommunications cabling l

Old Sep 8th 2017, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Altyc282 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Telecommunications cabling l

Hello everyone I'm new on here and very early in terms of where we are at in the moving process. I have just completed a successful skills assessment via Trade Recognition Australia. My question is how do i go about obtaining my cabling and other licences I will need to work out there in the telecommunications industry. I would like to have these all in place before I get on the plane if possible. Any help from anyone would be a massive help !

Many thanks everyone in advance
Old Sep 9th 2017, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Ozjourney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Telecommunications cabling l

Originally Posted by Altyc282
Hello everyone I'm new on here and very early in terms of where we are at in the moving process. I have just completed a successful skills assessment via Trade Recognition Australia. My question is how do i go about obtaining my cabling and other licences I will need to work out there in the telecommunications industry. I would like to have these all in place before I get on the plane if possible. Any help from anyone would be a massive help !

I can't answer your question I'm afraid as I'm not as far as you with the process.

Would you mind telling me how long your TRA assessment took from when they confirmed they had your documents?

Thanks
Old Sep 9th 2017, 7:25 am
Just Joined

Altyc282 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Telecommunications cabling l

Yeah no problem it took about 10 weeks from the date they confirmed all my documents

Regards
Old Sep 9th 2017, 7:40 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any idea where you'll be moving to. It is likely that each state could have different criteria for licensing.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Ozjourney is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah no problem it took about 10 weeks from the date they confirmed all my documents

Regards
Thank you.

Good luck in Oz!!
Old Sep 13th 2017, 11:16 am
Just Joined

WHL1791 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Altyc282,

To perform any telecommunications cabling your going to require an ACMA license, this obviously comes at a price. To obtain this you'll need to pass an exam consisting of part theory, part practical, you'll then be a licensed cabler of sorts.

Then dependant on what you intend to do within the telecommunications world will determine if you need to have extra endorsements on your license, for structured cabling, coaxial cabling and fibre, this (you guessed it) comes at a price and requires more training.

Then, if you're going to be cabling on a construction site you'll need a white card, which again is going to cost you time and money, if you are going to work above a certain height you'll need a working at heights ticket, if you going in to small space to run cables you'll need a confined space ticket, any security type cabling requires a security license, basically the list is endless.

The above is just what I had to go through without prior knowledge, so hopefully it gives you an insight of what to expect. You'll probably be able to do the theory part of the ACMA offshore online, but it will be a bums on seats onshore for the practical.

You may also be able to apply for recognition of prior learning through one of the many RTO's (registered training organisation), but you'll need to provide certification and work history I believe.

Start off at the ACMA website, that will tell you what you can and can't do with the different levels of license, it also lists the companies who provide the trading which In turn will give prices and duration of their courses, I used a mob called Milcom.

Good luck, you'll look back and laugh at it one day, I'm still waiting for that day !!