Diesel prices

Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:38 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diesel prices

Originally Posted by Centurion
Only QLD does it I think. Its simply adjusted at the pump and the advertised price is 8.whatever cents less per liter than in NSW for example. Basically as a driver you do nothing except fill up and pay.

There are proposals later this year to scrap that system though to stop QLD state funding people who are not resident. The idea is to produce your QLD driving license when you pay to receive the rebate. This stops truckies from NSW filling up cross border and the fuel companies benefiting from it from not passing on the full amount.

http://news.theage.com.au/national/b...0601-2kdq.html
My understanding was that Qld was the only state that didn't impose the full amount of duty on fuel at the bowser. It should mean that fuel is 8.354 cents a litre cheaper than over the border in NSW. That's not quite true though, a recent survey found that the prices in S.E Qld were on a par with NSW. The 8.354 cents a litre was being retained/stolen by the fuel companies.
Cpt Bligh is going to look into the price fixing
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:09 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I might be thick here but I really don't see that. Nothing suggests that any funding comes from anywhere else other than QLD state itself which is a return of commonwealth government tax which the state would otherwise receive.

Maybe someone can set the record straight, I'd love to know as a matter of general knowledge.
That's exactly how I read it.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
Have diesel prices in Oz sky-rocketed in the same way that they have in the UK recently?

Is diesel considered the best type of engine in Oz from an economy perspective?

- CDM
Yes they have. It's a worldwide thing though. I've just got back from Northern California. Petrol there is about USD4.50/gallon and diesel is about $4.90. I understand the main reason for diesel being more expensive at the moment is that it getting more popular worldwide due to the better economy you get and there is not enough capacity to produce it.

I only drive diesel and doubt that I will ever buy a petrol car again. Diesel hybrids will be here in a few years too with Peugeot being the first. I think they are talking around 3l/100kms.

Last edited by Amazulu; Jul 1st 2008 at 1:51 am.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
Have diesel prices in Oz sky-rocketed in the same way that they have in the UK recently?

Is diesel considered the best type of engine in Oz from an economy perspective?

- CDM
As others have noted there's a growing price differential between petrol and diesel (1.55 against 1.80 per litre, 16% more expensive). That's a fair bit to make up in economy when you factor in the higher initail cost (if buying new) and the more rigorous servicing requirements.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

How much more servicing are we talking?
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mipik
How much more servicing are we talking?
A bit.

Depends on age / make / model but was always told that keeping up the log book service to the letter was vital with a diesel, as opposed to a petrol, where you have a bit more leeway.