Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

diesel or petrol?

diesel or petrol?

Old Jan 19th 2012, 8:50 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: diesel or petrol?

Most 4wd and commercial utes will take hi-flow, most passenger cars (and my Jeep!) have the restrictor in the filler limiting us to the lo-flow nozzles.

I have filled mine using a hi-flow nozzle when there wasn't an alternative, but it is a slow, painful process preventing the diesel from splashing everywhere.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 9:22 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Tiguan's don't take the high flow nozzle. However, I've travelled reasonably extensively round the outback and this has not been a problem. I've only had to resort to using a high flow nozzle with a funnel once - slow - but doable.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
The price of petrol goes in cycles (usually weekly) and can vary by up to 15c between the peak and trough of a cycle, whilst the price of diesel remains fairly steady - so sometimes diesel costs more than petrol and sometimes less.

With diesel you also have to factor in the higher cost of servicing over the year.

Both my 4wd and my wife's car are diesel.
Any idea why it does that? They must bulk buy in advance so you'd expect changes to happen far less often. Is it just a ploy to rip off the customer?
Old Jan 19th 2012, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Any idea why it does that? They must bulk buy in advance so you'd expect changes to happen far less often. Is it just a ploy to rip off the customer?
Yup
Old Jan 19th 2012, 11:59 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: diesel or petrol?

Most 4wd and commercial utes will take hi-flow, most passenger cars (and my Jeep!) have the restrictor in the filler limiting us to the lo-flow nozzles.

I have filled mine using a hi-flow nozzle when there wasn't an alternative, but it is a slow, painful process preventing the diesel from splashing everywhere.
Mate, there's a fix for that - do a search on www.ausjeepoffroad.com.

BB
Old Jan 20th 2012, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to make a joke now about "proper" 4WD v "pretend" 4WD but I don't want to - I'd love a Jeep Wrangler but the honest fact is it wouldn't stand up to the flogging we give our vehicles!
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:03 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Mate, there's a fix for that - do a search on www.ausjeepoffroad.com.
Yes, I know it can be fixed, but the fix contravenes the ADR and the problem is not worrying enough for me to make the Jeep 'illegal' to fix it.

Originally Posted by jothefw
I'd love to make a joke now about "proper" 4WD v "pretend" 4WD but I don't want to - I'd love a Jeep Wrangler but the honest fact is it wouldn't stand up to the flogging we give our vehicles!
Mine isn't a Wrangler but a KJ Cherokee (surprise surprise!) - and it certainly isn't designed as a farm workhorse but it is definitely a "proper" 4wd in its offroad capabilities as well as being a good town car and long distance cruiser. We actually weren't far from you just after Christmas, but we went from Adelaide to Mt Gambier via Robe instead of Keith.

Last edited by KJCherokee; Jan 20th 2012 at 1:09 am.