Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

diesel estate car automatic ?????? Car / van to sleep in?

diesel estate car automatic ?????? Car / van to sleep in?

Old Feb 14th 2006, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Default diesel estate car automatic ?????? Car / van to sleep in?

G'day

We are looking for a diesel estate car automatic in OK shape, what should we expect to pay? And where should we buy one from? Some people have said that diesels are hard to find. Ideally we would like to get a car / van that we were able to sleep in. Any ideas?

The spinkways

Old Feb 14th 2006, 3:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: diesel estate car automatic ?????? Car / van to sleep in?

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
G'day

We are looking for a diesel estate car automatic in OK shape, what should we expect to pay? And where should we buy one from? Some people have said that diesels are hard to find. Ideally we would like to get a car / van that we were able to sleep in. Any ideas?

The spinkways

Diesels are rare in Australia. Unfortunately Australia is way behind the rest of the world when it comes to cars. Diesel cars are slowly catching on & it will be a few years before the choice is better. Your chances of getting a 2nd hand one are remote. You could get a VW passat or Audi estate but you'll have to pay big bucks. You might be able to get a diesel van but probably not an automatic. You could get a campervan or a diesel ute with a canopy on the back instead.

Good luck.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 5:40 am
ABCDiamond

You can get an idea of car prices from redbook.com.au

In 2004 over 50% of all diesel passenger cars sold in Australia came from the Peugeot range.

Most people seem to have opted for Gas, rather than diesel, here in Australia.
They say it is an environmentally cleaner fuel than both conventional petrol and diesel.

Looks like diesel may just be being bypassed.

The government are pushing LPG by not applying a Federal Government excise duty to it at the moment. Therefore making it very cost effective.

Current costs in my area are:
ULP - 109.7
Diesel - 120.9
LPG - 59.9

It does make LPG more appealing than Diesel.

Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You can get an idea of car prices from redbook.com.au

In 2004 over 50% of all diesel passenger cars sold in Australia came from the Peugeot range.

Most people seem to have opted for Gas, rather than diesel, here in Australia.
They say it is an environmentally cleaner fuel than both conventional petrol and diesel.

Looks like diesel may just be being bypassed.

The government are pushing LPG by not applying a Federal Government excise duty to it at the moment. Therefore making it very cost effective.

Current costs in my area are:
ULP - 109.7
Diesel - 120.9
LPG - 59.9

It does make LPG more appealing than Diesel.

Long term, and we will probably see this abcd, Diesel will probably be the better option, because of the Bio aspect of the diesel engine. IE you can produce fuel from sources other than oil.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:17 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
you can produce fuel from sources other than oil.
I was just reading about that BioDiesel, I hadn't seen it before.

Just what is needed at the moment

Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

There are bio-diesel plants in Australia already, but they are a tiny percentage of production. President Bush is heavily promoting bio-diesel. Modern common-rail diesel engines are much more efficient than petrol engines & are improving all the time. Maybe we will be seeing hybrid diesel/electric vehicles soon.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I was just reading about that BioDiesel, I hadn't seen it before.

Just what is needed at the moment
I dont think you need any modification, on the Soya diesel, that Willy Nelson is promoting in America. I could be wrong. With the Chip fat that some farmers use, just a heating element, to make the fat liquid. Afaik that is. We can make it here in Aussie, out of Canola and Kelp.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 9:00 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Too easy. Whether you`re in the UK or Aus, do a search for:

lower budget (£4k or $6k upwards): Toyota Townace (the MasterAce Surf is great). In Australia they call the same van the Toyota Tarago (older model).

higher budget ($14k upwards): Mitsubishi Delica. Brilliant van, based on the Pajero chassis and engine with a van body. www.delicaclub.com for all info. There is a UK cub as well which you can find details of at that site. Everyone will help you out.

I had the Townace in the UK after doing alot of research. Not enough though, as I`d have bought a Delica if I`d known about it. We have a Delica in Oz now. I used to sleep in the Townace in the UK while working away.... the Delica is a similar size (but SO much nicer). Parts are much easier to get for the Delica (as it`s a Pajero like I said).

If you want to spend more money and get less van than a Delica, check out newer Toyota Tarago`s, the Daewoo (?) Eclipse etc. Don`t know if they come in Diesel though.

My recommendtion: get a LWB Delica. Make sure you check it out thoroughly as with all cars though. I don`t trust dealers either.