British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Did your worm look like this? (Dotty) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/did-your-worm-look-like-dotty-190457/)

Ceri Nov 11th 2003 11:55 pm

Did your worm look like this? (Dotty)

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the pic of the "blind snake" I was talking about , there were a few of these under the compost heap .. they burry straight into the lawn in a flash.. managed to get this one on camera.

Did your worms look like this? :D ..

Ceri Nov 12th 2003 12:04 am

Re: Did your worm look like this? (Dotty)

1 Attachment(s)
And if anyone can tell me what type of grub this is .. much appreciated.

This is not a very good pic.. hubby took this one while he was holding it, size wise .. it's a mans hand which is holding it . The compost heap was full of these.. and I keep digging them up in soil. Hubby reckons a type of witjuti grub.. I'm not so sure.. anyone know what it is? I'd be interested to know what it may change into.. and for bait purposes

janeyray Nov 12th 2003 12:18 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ceri
Hubby reckons a type of witjuti grub..

Don't some people eat these!!!!!:scared: :scared:

Ceri Nov 12th 2003 12:23 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by janeyray

Originally posted by Ceri

I'll send you one to eat..lol . I don't know what this grub is .. it looks a bit like a wijuiti grub.. but a grub is a grub to me.. But my last garden was full of these. I even found them in pot plants which I had on the patio .. how they got there I never know.. the patio was up some steps. Step climbing grubs :scared:

downunderpom Nov 12th 2003 12:23 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by janeyray

Good bushtucker! :D

Cut 'n' paste alert:

"Witchety grub" is a general name for several species of insect larvae. They were an important part (up to 5%) of the Australian Aborigine diet. The larvae (up to 13 centimetres long) would burrow into the base of a shrub or tree. The Aborigines would find the hole, and then tease out the larvae with a long hooked stick. Raw witchety grubs taste like butter or scalded cream - but cooked, they taste like pork rind.

Ceri Nov 12th 2003 12:33 am

Originally posted by downunderpom
Good bushtucker! :D

Cut 'n' paste alert:

"Witchety grub" is a general name for several species of insect larvae. They were an important part (up to 5%) of the Australian Aborigine diet. The larvae (up to 13 centimetres long) would burrow into the base of a shrub or tree. The Aborigines would find the hole, and then tease out the larvae with a long hooked stick. Raw witchety grubs taste like butter or scalded cream - but cooked, they taste like pork rind.
ahh that explains something.. I couldn't find what type of grub a witjuti (aborigine way of spelling it) grub was,, so they are a few different species and not a sole species.. I don't suppose you know what insect(s) some of them turn into.

P.S I have a bottle of wine with a witjuti grub in it .. I bought it a few years back just for the novelty of it.. still haven't opened it..lol

downunderpom Nov 12th 2003 12:37 am

ahh that explains something.. I couldn't find what type of grub a witjuti (aborigine way of spelling it) grub was,, so they are a few different species and not a sole species.. I don't suppose you know what insect(s) some of them turn into.

P.S I have a bottle of wine with a witjuti grub in it .. I bought it a few years back just for the novelty of it.. still haven't opened it..lol
From memory (going way back :D ) they're mainly moths. I got my spelling from the way we used to spell it when I was in school here. Definitely a more westernised way of spelling it.

WG's in wine? You get a worm in the bottom of techila - supposed to pick up any toxins, apparently....

Ceri Nov 12th 2003 12:42 am

From memory (going way back :D ) they're mainly moths. I got my spelling from the way we used to spell it when I was in school here. Definitely a more westernised way of spelling it.

WG's in wine? You get a worm in the bottom of techila - supposed to pick up any toxins, apparently....

http://www.nicks.com.au/witjuti/page5.html

That's were I bought mine. I've never seen them in the shops, only this site. I originally bought it for a present for someone.. but never got around to sending it.

Plenty of those big black moths around here.. so perhaps it's one of those

P.s it's brandy and sherry .. not wine - I thought it was wine, I haven't opened the bottle.

downunderpom Nov 12th 2003 12:54 am

Plenty of those big black moths around here.. so perhaps it's one of those
A little more research: (well, it IS lunchtime! :D )

the larvae of (Xyleutes leucomochla Turn) is the true witchety grub of the Aborigines

and...

Witchetty Grub is the caterpillar of the large Cossid Moth (Xyleutes leucomochla Turn)

and

Australia is famous for its wood moths of the genus Endoxyla, FamilyCossidae. Their fame derives partly from the fact that their caterpillars are the ‘witchetty grubs’ of traditional Aboriginal diet, but mostly from the fact that the moths themselves are some of the largest in the world. The largest of all is the Giant Wood Moth (Endoxyla cinereus). This moth is common all along the Queensland coast, especially in suburban Brisbane where its grubs bore into the trunks of smooth-barked eucalypts in parks and gardens. The female moth has a wingspan of about 25 cm and may weigh up to 30 g (the weight of two finches!). Gauged in terms of weight, our local moth is certainly the heaviest in the world. Males are only half the size of females.

So there ya go - another record-breaker!!
:D :D

Florida_03 Nov 12th 2003 12:58 am

And if anyone can tell me what type of grub this is .. much appreciated.

This is not a very good pic.. hubby took this one while he was holding it, size wise .. it's a mans hand which is holding it . The compost heap was full of these.. and I keep digging them up in soil. Hubby reckons a type of witjuti grub.. I'm not so sure.. anyone know what it is? I'd be interested to know what it may change into.. and for bait purposes
Common Queensland Lawn Grub. Nothing exotic. Natives wouldn't touch 'em.

downunderpom Nov 12th 2003 1:06 am

Originally posted by Florida_03
Spoilsport. Ceri and I were just about to make our fortunes exporting "Witchety Grub Plonk" to the entire Western World.....:(

Ceri Nov 12th 2003 1:08 am

Originally posted by Florida_03
Are they any good for bait? and yes , I've heard of lawn grubs.. but never knew what they looked like.. you can buy pesticides for lawn grubs .. not sure why.. what harm do they do to the garden?
Is it a moth?

Ceri Nov 12th 2003 1:10 am

Spoilsport. Ceri and I were just about to make our fortunes exporting "Witchety Grub Plonk" to the entire Western World.....:(
can always sell them to naive poms and Japanese tourists ... they'll never know..lol

downunderpom Nov 12th 2003 1:12 am

can always sell them to naive poms and Japanese tourists ... they'll never know..lol
Yeah - "Here, mate, try this authentic Aussie shish-kebab!":D

Florida_03 Nov 12th 2003 1:19 am

1 Attachment(s)

Are they any good for bait? and yes , I've heard of lawn grubs.. but never knew what they looked like.. you can buy pesticides for lawn grubs .. not sure why.. what harm do they do to the garden?
Is it a moth?

Sorry...but no fish I know of would touch 'em. I do believe they morph into the Brown Cockchafer beetle.

You know you have lived in Brisbane when you have been attacked by a squadron of these at night.

As a kid I used to get a reel of sewing cotton. Tie a slip knot in the end of the cotton and catch a brown beetle. Hold one of his legs out and drop the slip knot over his leg and draw it up gently. Now unwind about 3 feet of cotton and start swinging it slowly around you like you do with a control-line model plane. Eventually the beetle starts flying and you stop swinging and now you just guide him around the house like a remote control model.

Great fun (try more VB if it doesn't seem funny enough).