Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did you use a relocation company for your move?

Did you use a relocation company for your move?

Old Apr 27th 2012, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

JAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really nice
Default Did you use a relocation company for your move?

Just wondered if you used a relocation company (or your company engaged one on your behalf) from the UK or have used one for an interstate move within Australia?

If so, can you tell me what they helped with most/least, general experiences etc?

Thanks
Old Apr 27th 2012, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you use a relocation company for your move?

I didn't use one but I saw one poor couple being dragged around the same viewings as us one Saturday and felt really sorry for them as she coo-ed over the most revolting properties and spoke to them like they had never been outside before.

Well I wouldn't pay for one out of my own pocket, but if you have a company that will pay might as well I suppose.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

JAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I didn't use one but I saw one poor couple being dragged around the same viewings as us one Saturday and felt really sorry for them as she coo-ed over the most revolting properties and spoke to them like they had never been outside before.
Thanks, this is the sort of info I'm after!
Old Apr 27th 2012, 10:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you can pick and choose what they do I may, providing someone else was paying. Also it depends on how busy you'll be. If you're going straight into work then they could be useful, however if you have a couple of weeks, I would think it nicer somehow to work it out for yourselves, I think you'd take more in if it's you with the map finding your way around rather than being taxied iyswim.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

zultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud of

I had a relo agent provided to me by my company. She was worth her weight in gold. She personally knew all the property managers and was able to go the extra mile in selling us as tennants - despite competition we secured the first rental we applied for.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zultan
I had a relo agent provided to me by my company. She was worth her weight in gold. She personally knew all the property managers and was able to go the extra mile in selling us as tennants - despite competition we secured the first rental we applied for.
+1, we secured our rental with no fuss at all. Got us a private viewing and let was signed 2 days later. Other than that they don't do anything you couldn't. My company paid but I certainly wouldn't pay for it myself.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 3:13 pm
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bingobob777
+1, we secured our rental with no fuss at all. Got us a private viewing and let was signed 2 days later. Other than that they don't do anything you couldn't. My company paid but I certainly wouldn't pay for it myself.
Agree. Our relo agent was paid for by OH's company and was very helpful in securing a house we really wanted, but we did everything else ourselves really.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Ours was paid for by the company and worth their weight in gold. They did everything from arranging the shippers from the uk, pick up from airport, temp accommodation etc etc to helping us move in and unpack when the furniture arrived. All we did was pack our own cases and hop on the plane!
Old Apr 27th 2012, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
It is perfectly easy to get private viewings yourself. Most of our viewings were private, after our first trip out on the open days we didn't try that approach again.