Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did you take your telly?

Did you take your telly?

Old Jan 17th 2005, 1:43 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of
Smile Did you take your telly?

we have just had a guy to quote for a container (20footer) to Perth and he said our telly probably wont work in oz-something to do with the signal, apparently the PAL system is different in oz? He said we might be able to get it re-tuned but it wont work with all tv's. Has anyone from UK had any experience of this?
Old Jan 17th 2005, 2:09 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you take your telly?

Do a search through the Aus forum and you will almost certainly find something with all the facts. This has been discussed once or twice before.

Basic answer is - if it is relatively new or good, bring it. The tuner may not pick up sound (PAL g vs PAL d or something) but you can always buy a cheap video and use that as the tuner then connect the TV to that using SCART or composite cables etc.

I brought mine and it is still in use three years on (the kids are slowly destroying it). It is in the family room, showing whatever crap the kids are watching on cartoon network from Foxtel box via SCART, or showing videos and DVDs via RCA cables in the AV input.

Cheers,

DagBoy

PS. Must add obligatory comment that all TV shown here is crap.

PPS. Must add own opinion that the preceding "fact" means that Aus is similar to the UK in that respect, but that is a whole different debate.