Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did you take your personal records to Oz?

Did you take your personal records to Oz?

Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:12 am
nmm
2 months until the move

nmm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Did you take your personal records to Oz?

I was just wondering what people did with some of their UK personal records when the moved to Australia. I'm thinking here of medical records, dentist records etc.

Did you obtain these and take them over to Australia (i'm not even sure if you can get a copy of your medical records)?

Also, what happens if you have points on your UK driving license? Do you start afresh in OZ? ( i only have 3 points soon to drop off - December i think).

Did anyone take over a credit report, maybe from someone like Experian over to Australia? Was this useful? Did it actually help? I'm thinking here with regards here to the early days where we need loans to buy cars or rent a house.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you take your personal records to Oz?

Originally Posted by nmm
I was just wondering what people did with some of their UK personal records when the moved to Australia. I'm thinking here of medical records, dentist records etc.

Did you obtain these and take them over to Australia (i'm not even sure if you can get a copy of your medical records)?

Also, what happens if you have points on your UK driving license? Do you start afresh in OZ? ( i only have 3 points soon to drop off - December i think).

Did anyone take over a credit report, maybe from someone like Experian over to Australia? Was this useful? Did it actually help? I'm thinking here with regards here to the early days where we need loans to buy cars or rent a house.
We had a mass shredding session.

Unless you've had medical problems, don't bother with your records, same for dental records. Also, your UK credit rating is worthless over here.

Money talks - for renting a house, offer several months rent up front, it may not be necessary but it'll show that you're serious. As for a car loan, so long as you or your partner is an Australian citizen or perm resident you should be OK.

I had 6 points on my UK licence, but they didn't transfer to my South Australian licence. Not sure if this applies to other states too.

Cheers

Steve
Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:05 am
life's good

allison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by nmm

Generally you don't need medical or dental records. The only exceptions are if you have a complicated medical history of a pre-school age child to prove their immunisation status. As far as points on driving licence if u come to QLD it doesn't matter if u have a photocard and other forms of ID ie passport, visa etc
Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:06 am
life's good

allison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by allison
Generally you don't need medical or dental records. The only exceptions are if you have a complicated medical history of a pre-school age child to prove their immunisation status. As far as points on driving licence if u come to QLD it doesn't matter if u have a photocard and other forms of ID ie passport, visa etc
BTW u can get your medical and dental records in uk but u will probably be charged to do so!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Hills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud of

In almost all cases you start from scratch: you have no history here. Cash is king, in the early days, while you build up some history with your bank/credit cards, etc.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

We have just made enquiries about getting medical and dental records. According to NHS the maximum they can charge is £50 for each person so £100 for both medical and dental Any guesses what the charge is from our doctor and dentist??

We are not bothering with it. Have already got the immunisation record for my daughter as they give the red book at birth so figured that was enough.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:23 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Our doctor's surgery have printed all our records and have not charged us for anything. We are taking the records just in case we need them for some unforeseen reason. In point of fact, I think we'll want to keep those records from any insurance company just in case they start claiming pre-existing conditions.

- CDM
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:07 pm
Jenny

Location: Bradford, but moving to Busselton WA in Sept 2010 (yay!!!!)
morrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Did you take your personal records to Oz?

Originally Posted by Zenshin
We have just made enquiries about getting medical and dental records. According to NHS the maximum they can charge is £50 for each person so £100 for both medical and dental Any guesses what the charge is from our doctor and dentist??

We are not bothering with it. Have already got the immunisation record for my daughter as they give the red book at birth so figured that was enough.
Shouldn't cost £50 each for medical records - that's the max charge a practice will make if a solicitor wants copies (eg for a claim). You need to make a "Data Subject Access Request" - you can request all records held about you and the max charge for this is £10 each.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

Thanks for that tip. The local NHS office told us that the charge would be max £50 each and to check with our doctor/dentist - so we did and they stated it would be £50 each. I will now find out about the form you suggested.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:25 pm
Jenny

morrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant future

Thanks for that tip. The local NHS office told us that the charge would be max £50 each and to check with our doctor/dentist - so we did and they stated it would be £50 each. I will now find out about the form you suggested.
You don't actually need a form - just write to them saying you'd like a copy of all your records, that you're making the request under the terms of the Data Protection Act and that you're aware that the maximum charge is £10 for this
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah just checked it out but in the fine print it says in "most cases the max fee is £10 but it can vary especially if it is related to health info!" Guess that is where they can up it to their £50 then?

Have you obtained info yourself for £10?

Suppose I can try and write the letter like you said saying max fee is £10 and see what they come back with. Worth a go.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:04 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nmm

Kept the lot, who knows may need them someday ! Some have helped others neevr been touched since, who cares, only takes up a small amount of space.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:58 pm
life's good

Red book is a good idea. They have red books in QLD, blue in NSW. I am sure the other states have similar. The government are hot on immunisation status for school day care and centrelink payments incl childcare allowances.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:59 pm
Jenny

Yeah just checked it out but in the fine print it says in "most cases the max fee is £10 but it can vary especially if it is related to health info!" Guess that is where they can up it to their £50 then?

Have you obtained info yourself for £10?

Suppose I can try and write the letter like you said saying max fee is £10 and see what they come back with. Worth a go.

No, I haven't requested my own records, but I work in a GP surgery and am familiar with what we can and can't charge. If you just ask for the data, the fee should be max £10. If you wanted it in the form of a specific report etc (eg for taxi licence etc), then a different fee structure would apply
Old Aug 26th 2009, 7:30 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by morrisj3
No, I haven't requested my own records, but I work in a GP surgery and am familiar with what we can and can't charge. If you just ask for the data, the fee should be max £10. If you wanted it in the form of a specific report etc (eg for taxi licence etc), then a different fee structure would apply
I called the appropriate government department about this today and was told that they may charge 'up to £50' and that this would be at their discresion depending on how much effort (photocopying, etc.) is involved. They also have up to 40 dys to satisfy the request for information.

I called my local hospital and was told that it 'would be very expensive' and that I would have to wait around 40 days - as there was nobody photocopying at the moment and there is a huge backlog of other people ahead of us in the queue.

- CDM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.