Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did you ship a full or part-container and did your stuff get there?

View Poll Results: What container did you use and did EVERYTHING get from A to B?
Used FULL container - Everything got to it's destination. Happy Chappy/Lassie.
42.86%
Used PART container - Everything got to it's destination. Happy Chappy/Lassie.
42.86%
Used FULL container - NOT everything got to it's destination. Narked and peeved!!
14.29%
Used PART container - NOT everything got to it's destination. Narked and peeved!!
0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Did you ship a full or part-container and did your stuff get there?

Old Jun 6th 2006, 1:18 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did you ship a full or part-container and did your stuff get there?

As you can tell, I'm now moving into the "shipping worries" phase...

(P.S. It would be useful if you also indicated your UK movers)..

Last edited by DunRoaminTheUK; Jun 6th 2006 at 1:22 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future
Default Re: Did you ship a full or part-container and did your stuff get there?

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
As you can tell, I'm now moving into the "shipping worries" phase...
I'm sticking with John Mason for my vote. I've never used another company, but solely on MY experience I cannot fault them.

A pic from the other thread:

I forgot to say this bit, bottom left hand corner you can just about make out what was a specially built box that John Mason made for our plasma screen. This cost all of £35 but it got our screen here and it still works fine.

All insurance companies we got quotes from WOULDN'T cover the screen as too many arrive broken!

They have it sorted if you ask me, but as I say it's ONLY my experience!
Old Jun 6th 2006, 1:31 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
I'm sticking with John Mason for my vote. I've never used another company, but solely on MY experience I cannot fault them.

A pic from the other thread:

I forgot to say this bit, bottom left hand corner you can just about make out what was a specially built box that John Mason made for our plasma screen. This cost all of £35 but it got our screen here and it still works fine.

All insurance companies we got quotes from WOULDN'T cover the screen as too many arrive broken!

They have it sorted if you ask me, but as I say it's ONLY my experience!
That's good news. Here's hoping then. My only worry is shipping part-container will lead to really valued things going missing. Oh well....
Old Jun 6th 2006, 1:36 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

That's good news. Here's hoping then. My only worry is shipping part-container will lead to really valued things going missing. Oh well....
Your thread does not enable me to vote

I used a full container.

It all got here but in more pieces than when it was packed

Pickfords cowboy subbie in Aus almost certainly to blame.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

We filled a 20' container about 85% but to be perfectly honest there was a few things that wasn't quoted for that DID go in the container in the end.

Quote of £3,750 didn't rise either! ...

One other point is it was about £400 cheaper to share a container, but we was warned it will take a bit longer. For fear of repeating myself, ours took 7.5 weeks to get to our door here (had it all for weeks now), but I've heard of many others that have shared and are still waiting! ...

Glad we paid the extra £400! ...
Old Jun 6th 2006, 1:42 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

We filled a 20' container about 85% but to be perfectly honest there was a few things that wasn't quoted for that DID go in the container in the end.

Quote of £3,750 didn't rise either! ...

One other point is it was about £400 cheaper to share a container, but we was warned it will take a bit longer. For fear of repeating myself, ours took 7.5 weeks to get to our door here (had it all for weeks now), but I've heard of many others that have shared and are still waiting! ...

Glad we paid the extra £400! ...
So, you're saying that JM wanted to charge you £3350 for a shared container? Our shared container quote was £2,100 for approximately 430 square feet. I take it you were going to use substantially more room?
Old Jun 6th 2006, 1:46 pm
Account Closed

So, you're saying that JM wanted to charge you £3350 for a shared container? Our shared container quote was £2,100 for approximately 430 square feet. I take it you were going to use substantially more room?
Just checked the waybill and we shipped 838 cu ft.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 1:50 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Just checked the waybill and we shipped 838 cu ft.
Ooops. I meant cubic feet. Square feet wouldn't be much good to anyone

I think that JM are overcharging us then as you shipped approximately twice our load and yet we're going to pay just over £1,000 less? That doesn't seem right to me. We didn't haggle and from reading some of the posts on here I think we should have knocked them down on price?

It's not too late though....
Old Jun 6th 2006, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

Ooops. I meant cubic feet. Square feet wouldn't be much good to anyone

I think that JM are overcharging us then as you shipped approximately twice our load and yet we're going to pay just over £1,000 less? That doesn't seem right to me. We didn't haggle and from reading some of the posts on here I think we should have knocked them down on price?

It's not too late though....
You know I think for pretty much full use of a 20' container your gonna pay £3,500 - £3,800, I've not a clue about half loads or anything else really. I tried for a discount and they knocked something silly off like £50 ...lol.

I went with them after Moneypen20 told me how great they was with her stuff (both ends!), plus I'd read good things on here too!

Them and Crown seemed the ones to go for, but Crown couldn't get round in time for a quote so JM it was!

Don't regret it for a second ...

Wridgways who they use this end was just as good. They dropped all the boxes off, took everything into whatever room we wanted and took half the empty boxes and rubbish away that day. They said to call when the rest is ready to be collected. We phoned them Friday just gone and they collected it all on Monday. No one could be here for the time they said as we're all at school, but they said to simply leave it all outside and they'll collect it at some point throughout the day. We arrived home on Monday and EVERY bit was gone!

Job done! ...

I might sound like an advert for them, but I DO feel that GOOD services should be commended.