Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

DID YOU SHIP OR BUY NEW STUFF WHEN YOU ARRIVED?

DID YOU SHIP OR BUY NEW STUFF WHEN YOU ARRIVED?

Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough
Default DID YOU SHIP OR BUY NEW STUFF WHEN YOU ARRIVED?

Hi everyone!

Pretty much what it says in the title - did you ship all your furniture/worldly belongings out with you or did you purchase new furniture/toys etc when you got out to Oz?

Can anyone tell me who they shipped with, what their costs were etc?

We are thinking of taking just our personal items - photos, computers, sentimental items, clothes, etc and then purchasing new stuff when we arrive. Alternatively we could take everything.

We are just trying to gauge whether it is financially worth the shipping costs.

Thanks for your help.

Karen
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

diane-ireland has a brilliant futurediane-ireland has a brilliant futurediane-ireland has a brilliant futurediane-ireland has a brilliant futurediane-ireland has a brilliant futurediane-ireland has a brilliant futurediane-ireland has a brilliant future
Default Re: DID YOU SHIP OR BUY NEW STUFF WHEN YOU ARRIVED?

we will ship some PC's,cloths,toys,some kitchen items etc.
it will cost to us around 1000 euro
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 1968_karen
Hi everyone!

Pretty much what it says in the title - did you ship all your furniture/worldly belongings out with you or did you purchase new furniture/toys etc when you got out to Oz?

We are thinking of taking just our personal items - photos, computers, sentimental items, clothes, etc and then purchasing new stuff when we arrive. Alternatively we could take everything.

Thanks for your help.

Karen
We are in the same position as you. Most of our furniture is hand me down stuff and would like to get matching furniture when we get to NZ. We are getting a few quotes from removal companies over the next few weeks for both options to see what the price difference is.

J x
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice

Originally Posted by 1968_karen
Hi everyone!

Thanks for your help.

Karen
We are shipping everything - we have been told that white goods are more expensive etc so we made the decision to take the lot! Know someone who went over a couple of years ago and she sold everything and then bought over there - she said she would never do that again - but I guess it is up to the individuals. Now shipping is interesting - the companies will come in with varying prices - our highest £7600 our lowest £3500 - massive difference - you need to go with your gut feeling and haggle! It took us over two weeks to eventually decide on one! Hope this helps - not too sure it does!
Old Jun 14th 2009, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

We shipped computers & personal stuff, paintings etc and bought furniture and most white goods when we got here (dishwasher and fridge-freezer excepted) although we did buy another fridge before the container arrived and now run two.

We figured that as we'd had the beds and the sofas for a few years they were getting to a point where they were close to being replaced and it meant that we could use them until we flew, then have new ones when we moved into the new house without having to sleep on inflatables/camp beds (my back was a factor in that though). Kitchen/cooking stuff we gave to a friend whos daughter was about to set up as a second year uni student - that one I wish I'd shipped, its taken me ages to even get close to getting my cooking kit back to where it was and we ate out every night for the last few weeks anyway.

Other than the cooking gear no regrets on the way we played it - it cost us $8k to replace the things we ditched, but it would have cost us another $5k to ship stuff that we would have been looking at replacing in another year or two for the same price we paid when we arrived anyway.

I think it all depends on what condition everything is in - we decided 3 years before we left not to replace things as we were going to buy new when we got here but if you have a lot of new/good condition goods then it may well be worthwhile shipping.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

nickallen1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: DID YOU SHIP OR BUY NEW STUFF WHEN YOU ARRIVED?

Came out Nov last year and brought suitcases and very few other bits, computer, Tv etc.
Got here and had to buy, 3 piece suite, fridge, washer, microwave, all other kitchen appliances, dining room suite, all beds and bedroom furniture, and basically anything else you can think of to furnish a house. 7 months in and we're pretty settled and content with life. All the new stuff came from major retail outlets and still came in well under $10,000 so not too bad bearing in mind the fridge alone was $1500.

Go for it and start over

Best of luck