Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did you see 'Place in the Sun?'

Did you see 'Place in the Sun?'

Old Nov 29th 2002, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Perth Helena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
House prices are in relation to earnings as you find out , I have a terrace house than cost $300,000 in WA and its not on the river or beach in fact a very average area the prices you quote will not get you much in WA which is one of the cheaper states here.
You're right, you won't get anything on the river or on the beach for $300k here. But a couple of kilometres from the beach, in a suburb 20km north of Perth, you can get a perfectly decent 4 bedroom house. Go further north, and you can get closer to the beach. Sounds like you paid a lot for your terrace house. Must be really nice. I wouldn't have paid that but I suppose you have the advantage of not having to mow the grass, or weed or stuff. Each to their own though. I like my garden and my pool.

Dream on and I have no idea what you mean about beautiful locations this place is a dust bowl , its brown in Summer and yellow in winter?
That's an exaggeration. Dustbowl? Don't think so. I find Perth to be surprisingly green given the amount of rain we get, or don't get I should say. It's not the same deep lush green of northern countries, but then you need a whole lot more rain & cooler weather to get that sort of green. All year long. No thanks.

A lot of the newer suburbs aren't as green as the more established ones. There are tons of native trees around Perth which stay green all year round. Not the deep emerald green that many might be used to, but then this isn't Ireland or Canada or Norway. Different environment, climate and plantlife, but I wouldn't describe Perth as brown and yellow. There's a lot more greenery here than what you describe. They do a good job of trying to green up areas which many other dry countries don't bother - like along highways and main roads. And there are many parks of varying sizes all through Perth. Few councils let them go brown or yellow.

As for beautiful locations - we have many here. It'll be a different sort of beauty that you have to appreciate, without insisting on comparing it to other countries. Sounds like you don't get out much.
Old Nov 29th 2002, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Dream on and I have no idea what you mean about beautiful locations this place is a dust bowl , its brown in Summer and yellow in winter?

C'mon PB, I've told you a billion times not to exaggerate!! What about the greens on your golf course?
Old Nov 29th 2002, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

Originally posted by pommiesheila
Alex Hills - $298 - yes, have you been inside it? I think not...

BTW, in this week's Bayside Bulletin's Property Guide (the most comprehensive Real Estate listings available), a plot of land at Wellington Point (adjacent suburb to Alex Hills) is on the market for $925,000... that's just the LAND... how much land? 800sq. mtrs!!!

Ok so I`ve only got pictures to look at but yes looks good inside. I have also looked at another Real Estate site www.domain.com.au
This time 138 listings in the same price range, maybe you should have a look! But of course it may all be wrong just like the TV programme!!!

What amazes me is that there are such lovely properties in these so called bad areas, you won`t find the same in the UK, bad area means bad every thing and the properties are dreadful, funny how in Oz the people in these slums keep such nice homes!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 29th 2002, 10:11 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Marlo
Ok so I`ve only got pictures to look at but yes looks good inside. I have also looked at another Real Estate site www.domain.com.au
This time 138 listings in the same price range, maybe you should have a look! But of course it may all be wrong just like the TV programme!!!

What amazes me is that there are such lovely properties in these so called bad areas, you won`t find the same in the UK, bad area means bad every thing and the properties are dreadful, funny how in Oz the people in these slums keep such nice homes!!!!!!!!!
Marlo.. there are some lovely houses in bad neighbourhoods. But.... Ok I'll take deception Bay (North Brisbane).. new houses, 4 to 5 bedroom you'll get one for 200 to 300 thou Au , which is less than 100 thou UK. An outsider will think, oh a lovely big house! next to the sea etc... this area is high in crime, and us people in Brisbane know that. Don't people realise that?

It also goes on Jobs... you can buy a house further up, for a lot cheaper than nearer to Brisbane ... it also goes on employment.

What looks cheap.. is cheap for a reason. look outside the square.

Marlo, you asked about suburbs earlier on... one was Bribie, which you wanted to know about, it's a good area... a bit of a drive to the city, but not too far out. Bribie is not high in crime either, and plenty of facilities, plus the beaches around the island (If you don't know Bribie, it's an Island, but it's joined to the mainland by Bridge)

Dotty and others here in Brisbane are telling the truth, it depends on the area... cheap houses , are cheap for a reason... high unemployment, a high crime area etc. If I wanted a mansion.. I"d move up futher North, but there is no employment, and your house is more likely to be broken into. Get the picture. There are some beauties of houses in some areas... but the crime is high, the employment is low, no jobs, that's why they are cheap... the land is cheap.

Hope this helps.. seriously check out the area first for employment and crime, not the house.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 29th 2002 at 10:21 am.
Old Nov 29th 2002, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Marlo

Marlo - I did not say Alex Hills was a bad area. It is, in fact, a very nice suburb in the Bayside area of Brisbane. Full of middle class families, very little crime, good schools etc. etc. BUT, if you want a quality house, on more than a postage stamp-sized piece of land, you would need to be looking at prices in the $300K+ bracket. When we bought in this region (we are in an adjacent suburb to A.H) 7 months ago, we inspected loads of properties - most of them under $300,000 were in dire need of renovation. Of course there will be loads of listings under that price - we thought just the same as you before we arrived, just looking at the real estate listings on the web - it was VERY misleading - don't forget Estate Agents are full of BS. Also they are on a VERY HEAVY commission - e.g. 5% of first $18K, then 2.5% of the rest - I don't think you'd find one single estate agent in the Uk would be able to charge these rates - they are desperate for a sale to get their wack of commission and will do anything, say anything, to get it...
Old Nov 29th 2002, 11:05 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by pommiesheila
Marlo - I did not say Alex Hills was a bad area. It is, in fact, a very nice suburb in the Bayside area of Brisbane. Full of middle class families, very little crime, good schools etc. etc. BUT, if you want a quality house, on more than a postage stamp-sized piece of land, you would need to be looking at prices in the $300K+ bracket. When we bought in this region (we are in an adjacent suburb to A.H) 7 months ago, we inspected loads of properties - most of them under $300,000 were in dire need of renovation. Of course there will be loads of listings under that price - we thought just the same as you before we arrived, just looking at the real estate listings on the web - it was VERY misleading - don't forget Estate Agents are full of BS. Also they are on a VERY HEAVY commission - e.g. 5% of first $18K, then 2.5% of the rest - I don't think you'd find one single estate agent in the Uk would be able to charge these rates - they are desperate for a sale to get their wack of commission and will do anything, say anything, to get it...

Here's a few favourite estate agents phrases (same as you.. we spent months looking at rubbish!), and translation

"location location,location" - yes about a 20 minute drive away from the location
"Handyman's Dream" - the house needs gutting
"peaceful" .. you're miles out from anywhere

""three good sized bedrooms" - the livingroom is crap, and the kitchen is like a shoe box

"quick while it lasts" .. lol, this has been on the market for a year!

"plenty of room for improvement" - and boy, does it need it!"
"selling because of relocation" - we realised the area is cr*p.. and moved to where there is work

"sea glimpses" - yes if you stand on top of your roof (I love this one sea glimpses!)

cheers
Old Nov 29th 2002, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

I noticed that Australian realestate agents are a lot more colourful with their descriptions!! Almost to and beyond the point of the ridiculous.... A friend send me the pull out and some of the adverts were a poor and sad attempt at poetry. I'll have to quote from them later......

...any one else got examples of Real Estate Agents crap phases?

Mash..

Originally posted by Ceri
Here's a few favourite estate agents phrases (same as you.. we spent months looking at rubbish!), and translation

"location location,location" - yes about a 20 minute drive away from the location
"Handyman's Dream" - the house needs gutting
"peaceful" .. you're miles out from anywhere

""three good sized bedrooms" - the livingroom is crap, and the kitchen is like a shoe box

"quick while it lasts" .. lol, this has been on the market for a year!

"plenty of room for improvement" - and boy, does it need it!"
"selling because of relocation" - we realised the area is cr*p.. and moved to where there is work

"sea glimpses" - yes if you stand on top of your roof (I love this one sea glimpses!)

cheers
Old Nov 29th 2002, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

laurash is an unknown quantity at this point

What gets me is that all the people qouting house prices seem to think that all areas are the same. COME ON if a nice house is cheap it's because it's in an area you wouldn't want to live in. Inter me befire I live on the Sunshine Coast. BOooooring........................
Old Nov 29th 2002, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I can actually assure you that you can buy houses in Australia for $30,000 that right 10 thousand quid. Around Adelaide, some councils have been know to pay you $1000 to own land there. Others sell land for $1000. Perhaps tho we all have enough common sense to think about why these prices exist..........

I think the people who are telling you about places like Woodford, childers and Logan are winding you up a little, try a seach on Tara, Gladstone, Maryborough, cheap as a packet of peanuts and just as many reasons why you would not live there........

Now somebody mentioned here, real estates fly you off to see propertys then sell them at Discount prices to you. This is a scam that is currently being outlawed by the Queensland Government. Thousands of people have been stupid enough to buy property for up to treble its actual value, sucked in by free flights and "discounts". Just because its sunny here does not mean conmen are all out sunbaking.

I guess when us pommies who live here and know things that you may never find out till its too late, we should not be so impolite as to upset you all with a few home truths but be terribly polite and see you swallowed up hook line and sinker.

I hear that Mount Isa is a paradise, its sunny almost every day, I have heard that some men there earn $60,000 plus a year, its very racially friendly, the locals always offer you a drink and the women are known for their hospitality, the pubs are always full of happy people and there is a beautiful mountain backdrop the scenery is superb. You can probably buy the acerage of you dreams for less than a new lounge room carpet in the Uk. Look it up folks its super!!
Old Nov 30th 2002, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Originally posted by mashiraz
I noticed that Australian realestate agents are a lot more colourful with their descriptions!! Almost to and beyond the point of the ridiculous.... A friend send me the pull out and some of the adverts were a poor and sad attempt at poetry. I'll have to quote from them later......

...any one else got examples of Real Estate Agents crap phases?

Mash..
One of the favourites around these parts is "Live the Dream"
and another good one is "Resort Style Living"

the latter usually means the house has a pool...

as far as the first one is concerned, one person's dream is another's nightmare...
Old Nov 30th 2002, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Perth Helena
You're right, you won't get anything on the river or on the beach for $300k here. But a couple of kilometres from the beach, in a suburb 20km north of Perth, you can get a perfectly decent 4 bedroom house. Go further north, and you can get closer to the beach. Sounds like you paid a lot for your terrace house. Must be really nice. I wouldn't have paid that but I suppose you have the advantage of not having to mow the grass, or weed or stuff. Each to their own though. I like my garden and my pool.

That's an exaggeration. Dustbowl? Don't think so. I find Perth to be surprisingly green given the amount of rain we get, or don't get I should say. It's not the same deep lush green of northern countries, but then you need a whole lot more rain & cooler weather to get that sort of green. All year long. No thanks.

A lot of the newer suburbs aren't as green as the more established ones. There are tons of native trees around Perth which stay green all year round. Not the deep emerald green that many might be used to, but then this isn't Ireland or Canada or Norway. Different environment, climate and plantlife, but I wouldn't describe Perth as brown and yellow. There's a lot more greenery here than what you describe. They do a good job of trying to green up areas which many other dry countries don't bother - like along highways and main roads. And there are many parks of varying sizes all through Perth. Few councils let them go brown or yellow.

As for beautiful locations - we have many here. It'll be a different sort of beauty that you have to appreciate, without insisting on comparing it to other countries. Sounds like you don't get out much.

Just my two cents worth in Canada British Columbia $300.000.00, would buy a mansion were I live, (6 bedrooms, 4 baths on 25 acres) I have a Fab house 4 bedrooms fully finished basement 3 bathrooms mountains all around and close to town and it cost me $120.000.00

Australian houses sound very pricey to me ??????.
Old Nov 30th 2002, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jeannie
Just my two cents worth in Canada British Columbia $300.000.00, would buy a mansion were I live, .Australian houses sound very pricey to me ??????.
These are Aussie dollars, you are probably thinking in imperialist Yankee dollars? Nonetheless prices vary - you get what you pay for; in some cases less
Old Nov 30th 2002, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jeannie
Just my two cents worth in Canada British Columbia $300.000.00, would buy a mansion were I live, (6 bedrooms, 4 baths on 25 acres) I have a Fab house 4 bedrooms fully finished basement 3 bathrooms mountains all around and close to town and it cost me $120.000.00

Australian houses sound very pricey to me ??????.
Well, just like Canada, Jeannie, Australia is a vast country. Very big with a lot of variances in everything - climate, jobs, terrain, cost of living. You live in the Okanagan, if I recall correctly? Smaller cities/towns will have smaller prices for the most part. Comparing Penticton or Kelowna to Perth or Brisbane is not the best comparison. What would you get for $300k in Vancouver that wasn't in some far flung suburb that necessitated at least an hour on choked roads to get to work? Not a 6x4 on 25 acres, that's for sure. You'd have to go way out beyond Chilliwack or up by Squamish to get that sort of property. In Vancouver proper it would be a 1930's "charming" fixer-upper on a 33 foot lot, maybe 120 feet long. You could possibly find something bigger & less desperate for renovations in Richmond for that price, but likely have to head way out into Langley or Maple Ridge to get something you don't have to pour years and thousands of dollars into. I'd compare the Okanagan to say, Geraldton or Albany maybe, where prices are much lower than $300k.
Old Nov 30th 2002, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by dpr21
These are Aussie dollars, you are probably thinking in imperialist Yankee dollars? Nonetheless prices vary - you get what you pay for; in some cases less
Them's fightin' words in Canada, dpr Canada has Canadian dollars, worth about 64 cents American. Totally different currency and totally different country and people. Never call a Canadian an American or say they're the same. It would depend on the person but it would likely be the same as calling a Scotsman an Englishman. You'd better know a good dentist!
Old Nov 30th 2002, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by dpr21
C'mon PB, I've told you a billion times not to exaggerate!! What about the greens on your golf course?
Or the varieties of eucalypts all over the city? Or the bottlebrushes, the palms, the pines, conifers, banksias, oleanders, jacarandas, hibiscus, Geraldton wax, tea trees, etc., etc., etc. Sure, some grassy areas in the nature reserves brown off during the dry season but there are tons of trees and shrubs throughout the reserves, boulevards, people's front yards and in parks, that the predominant colour is ... green.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.