Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did you regret taking/not taking your house contents???

Did you regret taking/not taking your house contents???

Old Oct 1st 2007, 10:34 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you regret taking/not taking your house contents???

this is a great thread!

We're just back from a holiday in Oz and of course shopping somewhere new is always a novelty...at first! I can't see me relishing having to replace everything we own though! We had always said we'd just bring personal items but just this weekend we were looking around the flat and pointing out stuff that we'd really like to keep. So even though it's a LONG way off, I think we'd go for a shared container so we can bring some big stuff that'll help set us up when we arrive. Don't fancy landing and immediately having to go spend all our savings on stuff we gave away in the UK!

thanks again!

T
Old Oct 1st 2007, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killamarsh
Iv'e also noticed that kitchen knives (decent set) are expensive - is this right. How are you to prove when bought something? If I bought kids clothes (a size bigger than he is at the moment) would I have to produce a receipt? I can't really drag the clothes through the backyard to roughen them up. And how do you 'age' duvets (doona)? I was going to buy stuff in the January sales and put it all away ie saucepans, kitchen stuff (mine are on their last legs) a good knife set, good cutlery and feather doonas (duvets) - is it worth doing it?
I would just sugest for duvet unwrap and put inside a duvet cover, thus making it look used

Clothes, make sure the tags are removed and preferably mixedin with a range of older clothes.

Lisa.x
Old Oct 1st 2007, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

carolinelaurie is an unknown quantity at this point

Our stuff should arrive in next four weeks. We have a 20ft container and bought everything that would fit. I wish i had not bothered. This is only my personal opinion i am going to be glad to receive my personal items such as photos, kids toys and rest of my wardrobe, my oh cant wait for his motorbike but other than that i would not have bothered. Why!! Well we went into holiday accommodation when we first arrived for two weeks. We then found a 6 month rental which we moved into, without a stick of furniture or kitchen stuff. Knowing it is all on its way we have bought all kitchen items cheaply knowing i have decent stuff soon, had to buy kids second hand beds and we bought a new one, had to buy a plastic table and chairs so we had somewhere to eat as after a couple of weeks the novelty of eating from our laps wore off. We also had to buy towels and bed linen. We did not bring any TVs or fridge so went and bought these too, In hindsight we probably would have sold all our furniture and bought all the stuff here. Save alot of stress trying to pack and hoping it fits on container, sorting out custom forms. Its fun to shop, takes your mind off what you have left behind. You can get some really decent stuff at good prices. We bought a queen bed, new matress, and 2 bedsides to match and cost $700. (its better than our bed we paid £3000 for in UK!!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Tip, get yourself some extension leads for all your electrical goods.

Also t.v's work fine if you connect them to a dvd player. Some new tvs works without you just need to adjust the setting.

Mandy
Old Oct 1st 2007, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by carolinelaurie
its better than our bed we paid £3000 for in UK!!
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinelaurie
Our stuff should arrive in next four weeks. We have a 20ft container and bought everything that would fit. I wish i had not bothered. This is only my personal opinion i am going to be glad to receive my personal items such as photos, kids toys and rest of my wardrobe, my oh cant wait for his motorbike but other than that i would not have bothered. Why!! Well we went into holiday accommodation when we first arrived for two weeks. We then found a 6 month rental which we moved into, without a stick of furniture or kitchen stuff. Knowing it is all on its way we have bought all kitchen items cheaply knowing i have decent stuff soon, had to buy kids second hand beds and we bought a new one, had to buy a plastic table and chairs so we had somewhere to eat as after a couple of weeks the novelty of eating from our laps wore off. We also had to buy towels and bed linen. We did not bring any TVs or fridge so went and bought these too, In hindsight we probably would have sold all our furniture and bought all the stuff here. Save alot of stress trying to pack and hoping it fits on container, sorting out custom forms. Its fun to shop, takes your mind off what you have left behind. You can get some really decent stuff at good prices. We bought a queen bed, new matress, and 2 bedsides to match and cost $700. (its better than our bed we paid £3000 for in UK!!
we were fortunate enough to rent a partially furnished house so didnt need to go and buy all these sorts of bits and pieces.

A lot of stuff can be picked up fairly cheaply in Vinnies or Salvos if you dont mind buying second hand items