Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did you regret taking/not taking your house contents???

Did you regret taking/not taking your house contents???

Old Sep 28th 2007, 9:16 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you regret taking/not taking your house contents???

Ive got my collection of cat ornaments and some of them are wood. How can you tell if wood is treated, because I would like to ship these ornaments as Ive collected them from various countries?

Actually, I was looking at our bed last night which is gorgeous and its the only large item we would like to bring. Shame that wont go in the boxes for the excess luggage company.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough

Great thread!

We've got a didgeridoo we got in Oz years ago - lovely wood, looks like a tree stump, will they have a probelm with that?????? Hopefully I can find the paperwork we got with it.

I'm gunna visit costco and stock up on 'lady' items (sorry guys) - not the same over there - can't believe 'Always' aren't in Oz! Surely that won't coun't as new purchase will it???

Marmite - haven't seen it in Oz - I had to take some for my friend in NZ when we visited in May
Old Sep 28th 2007, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

obogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by alipally
Hi,
I would really like to hear from people who did/didn't take their house contents with them when they emigrated to Australia....

I get a flavour of it but it's usually from those who have yet to move rather than those who have reached their destination....

so the questions are:
1. What did you take with you when you made the move?

2. In hindsight would you have done anything differently and why?

All replies gratefully received!
was a good opportunity for a clear out and declutter but we brought everything - absolutely everything we were fortunate as Allied came and packed everything as it was.I woul dsay if you can bring it all as even when you do get here there are enough expenses and if thinsg need replcing you can always do that once things settle down. Believe me it helps having your things even the good old stuff - helps with the settling in. Lats thing you want is running round and getting stuff here. You'll get hardly anything for it in the UK ! Waste of money. Good Luck - any electricals bring them we were not sure and remember posting lots of questions and still not knowing what to do and we brough it all and have the adpators on them and all the other brits here do the same....even the fridge- we had an electrician check and he said it was fine. Buy them before coming out
Stuff is expensive and not many bargains here - bring it honestly. We had to shop for a couple of things a heater ( so cold in the houses) new TV and a computer as ours was on the way out in th UK and that was a big enough pain believe me
Old Sep 29th 2007, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sat here, thinking.. I don't have anything like that! Then I take a look at the fireplace and realise that I have a small drum we got from India last year... so that will be donated to my sister then!

There's been some talk about daggers and swords being confiscated. Please tell me that my kitchen knives will be OK to take with me!!!

Ali
Yep kitchen knives fine!
Old Sep 29th 2007, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrisbaneBound2008
Great thread!

We've got a didgeridoo we got in Oz years ago - lovely wood, looks like a tree stump, will they have a probelm with that?????? Hopefully I can find the paperwork we got with it.

I'm gunna visit costco and stock up on 'lady' items (sorry guys) - not the same over there - can't believe 'Always' aren't in Oz! Surely that won't coun't as new purchase will it???

Marmite - haven't seen it in Oz - I had to take some for my friend in NZ when we visited in May

if you choose a immigrant flight with 40kgs you can squeeze light things into that

so...do we have to treat our wood carving from Bali in order to take it with us?

Sam x
Old Sep 29th 2007, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

yeah I have a few wood carvings from around the world aswell (along with my senegalese drums), if we treat them can we bring them?? Where can one find this information.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 9:41 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Ive got my collection of cat ornaments and some of them are wood. How can you tell if wood is treated, because I would like to ship these ornaments as Ive collected them from various countries?

Actually, I was looking at our bed last night which is gorgeous and its the only large item we would like to bring. Shame that wont go in the boxes for the excess luggage company.
Do anyone know about taking daggers in. We have inherited my FIL's German dagger/bayonet from WWII from when he was in a prison of war camp which he had as soveniers?
Old Sep 29th 2007, 9:44 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Do anyone know about taking daggers in. We have inherited my FIL's German dagger/bayonet from WWII from when he was in a prison of war camp which he had as soveniers?
There are people on here that have had daggers confiscated but got swords through, I think it depends if you get a jobsworth on the day your stuff comes through.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 10:28 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Iv'e also noticed that kitchen knives (decent set) are expensive - is this right. How are you to prove when bought something? If I bought kids clothes (a size bigger than he is at the moment) would I have to produce a receipt? I can't really drag the clothes through the backyard to roughen them up. And how do you 'age' duvets (doona)? I was going to buy stuff in the January sales and put it all away ie saucepans, kitchen stuff (mine are on their last legs) a good knife set, good cutlery and feather doonas (duvets) - is it worth doing it?
Old Sep 29th 2007, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you have to 'prove' items are over 12 months old - it is more a case of can they prove it is less - if you see what i mean.

Obviously if you take items out of boxes/make them look used etc can't see you having any probs
Old Sep 29th 2007, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

BallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant future

Great thread

Thanks to everyone passing on these great tips.

And please keep them coming
Old Sep 29th 2007, 5:14 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

It's really opened my eyes as to what we should be buying in advance and what we shouldn't bother packing up!

Ceremonial knives/Daggers Obvious weapons are a NO GO

Untreated 'raw' wood is NO GO
(On this note, does anyone know how to get around this/treat it yourself?)

Brand new items should be used a bit!

Unpack new bedding and towels

You can bring in prepacked food items (not fresh) as long as you declare it

And finally... If you use it in the UK, you'll use it in Aus, chucking it and buying new stuff will almost certainly end up costing more than shipping it accross!

So glad I put this thread up!
Old Sep 29th 2007, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

(On this note, does anyone know how to get around this/treat it yourself?)!
Yeah, does anyone know?

Yep, very good thread.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

dandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud of

It's really opened my eyes as to what we should be buying in advance and what we shouldn't bother packing up!

Ceremonial knives/Daggers Obvious weapons are a NO GO

(On this note, does anyone know how to get around this/treat it yourself?)

Brand new items should be used a bit!

Unpack new bedding and towels

You can bring in prepacked food items (not fresh) as long as you declare it

And finally... If you use it in the UK, you'll use it in Aus, chucking it and buying new stuff will almost certainly end up costing more than shipping it accross!

Thanks for the thread Alipally!!!
very usefull
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:14 am
Just Joined

renagade96 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Did you regret taking/not taking your house contents???

i brought everything and i'm glad i did. i brought 4 tv's and they didnt work here in australia, so dont bring them. i have replaced most of my stuff now but it helps when you first get here. you have so much else to organise ,without looking for furniture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.