Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did you regret taking/not taking your house contents???

Did you regret taking/not taking your house contents???

Old Sep 24th 2007, 12:59 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you regret taking/not taking your house contents???

Originally Posted by Hutch
We brought very little for similar reasons to Wendy - it being mainly old and knackered - cheapo MDF crap for the most part. We do regret not bringing more though - little things like kitchen utensils - I have no idea why I didn't bring them...
It is stuff like that which is most annoying. You remember to buy a sofa, tv, bed etc but it is only when you come to mash the spuds you realise you haven't got a bloody masher!
Old Sep 24th 2007, 1:23 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

we've shipped everything over and it's just cleared customs so we should have it this week, but to be honest we wish we'de not bothered with half of it coz it's a pain in the arse waiting 6 weeks with basically nothing which aint easy with 3 kids!
i'm not saying don't ship ya gear over but things like beds and pots and pans i'd just bin em and buy new straight away.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 1:36 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

We bought over absolutely everything and am so glad we did, the garden ornaments even came with us all jet washed and chucked in a dustbin from asda!
I think the only things that have ended up redundant are the tv stand as we had to buy something a bit bigger, our small UK one just didn't fill the room, and we bought a bigger bed, went to a queen size and am thinking of a king now, which if I had known about would have bought a load of bedding in the UK for! I am pleased I even bought with me my Woolworths salad spinner.
The in-laws are on their way and they are also bringing just about everything, which I am sure they will be glad about.
Jenny
Old Sep 24th 2007, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

itsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jensteve
which if I had known about would have bought a load of bedding in the UK for!
Is that because it's cheaper in the UK? we are going to buy a new bed once we've moved so if it is cheaper in UK i'll start buying some now
Old Sep 24th 2007, 4:42 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Neet Neet
Is that because it's cheaper in the UK? we are going to buy a new bed once we've moved so if it is cheaper in UK i'll start buying some now
Just returned from Harvey Bay where we were pricing things up to decide whether to ship or buy new when moving next year. Bedding and towels are very expensive, when you are looking at $159 for a Queen duvet cover and 2 pillow cases of very basic quality. They don't appear to do fitted sheets either. A flat sheet was $101+ Queen size. I also didn't see anything which I liked and would want to buy.

If you have time I would suggest that you wait for the sales in the UK and buy bedding and towels then, which is exactly what I will be doing only in Dubai from the likes of Debenhams, BHS & M&S.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Been looking into this also...

Does anyone know if this is correct?

UK double = aus double

UK king = aus queen

UK superking = aus king

If anyone over there could confirm/corrrect would be much appreciated
Old Sep 24th 2007, 5:54 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sammyg

UK double = aus double

UK king = aus queen

UK superking = aus king

That's correct
Old Sep 24th 2007, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

itsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Just returned from Harvey Bay where we were pricing things up to decide whether to ship or buy new when moving next year. Bedding and towels are very expensive, when you are looking at $159 for a Queen duvet cover and 2 pillow cases of very basic quality. They don't appear to do fitted sheets either. A flat sheet was $101+ Queen size. I also didn't see anything which I liked and would want to buy.

If you have time I would suggest that you wait for the sales in the UK and buy bedding and towels then, which is exactly what I will be doing only in Dubai from the likes of Debenhams, BHS & M&S.
thanks for that... I look forward to the sales here then
Old Sep 24th 2007, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sammyg

UK double = aus double

UK king = aus queen

UK superking = aus king

Im glad i've just read this bit... would have brought all the wrong size bedding
Old Sep 24th 2007, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I would suggest NOT to bring is your kettle, toaster etc. Reason being that if you have to move into a rental and have to wait for your stuff to arrive you will have to go out and buy new to keep you going.

Last time I did this and had replaced them all by the time our stuff arrived. This time, they will all go and I will get new when we arrive.

Mandy
Old Sep 24th 2007, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice

We are in the process of packing absolutely everything. Before we moved to Spain I sold or gaveaway so much and still regret it to this day So I decided to take all that we own. The container arrives Wednesday and the price is $6000 to get it shipped to Brisbane, I then have to pay clearance and god knows what else once it arrives but for us it is cheaper to take it than to replace it. Paula
Old Sep 24th 2007, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blossom
That's correct
Give or take an inch here and there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed#Standard_sizes

But we've managed to squeeze our fitted sheets over the corners of the mattress with a bit of persuasion (good excuse to jump on the bed to flatten it back out)
Old Sep 25th 2007, 7:11 am
Been here since 31.12.06.

off-to-melbourne is an unknown quantity at this point

I really regret not bringing all our books with us - they are very expensive here. Miss my old imperial/metric measuring jug too (can't get used to measuring in cups).
Would bring decent quality duvets too if doing it again. Kmart may have them on 'special' every other week, but they are poor quality and never have stock of the size we need (single, for the kids). Not too warm in Melbourne area in winter!
Old Sep 25th 2007, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Amanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Did you regret taking/not taking your house contents???

Myself and Phil priced items when we were in Wa last year and compared it to what we have in the house. Conclusion was it just wasn't worth taking it. The cost of shipping for what we would take is not cost effective. I suppose everyone has diferent items that they could not do without, for me thats clothes shoes photos laptop and of course Phil all of which I can fit in my suitcase !! (oh apart from Phil ha ha)

A xx
Old Sep 25th 2007, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
We brought very little for similar reasons to Wendy - it being mainly old and knackered - cheapo MDF crap for the most part. We do regret not bringing more though - little things like kitchen utensils - I have no idea why I didn't bring them...

All them were on their last legs too. Probably cos they were all from the pound shop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.