Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did you move to Oz without visiting?

Did you move to Oz without visiting?

Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:03 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did you move to Oz without visiting?

We did our research but lacked the means to visit first and ended up in NZ. Things were ok for us and we made the most of it despite knowing that we'd made a mistake within minutes of getting out of the airport.

We took a lot of time in deciding that Australia offered us what we lacked in NZ and we weren't going to make the same mistake twice (out of the frying pan.....) hence the amount of work we put into finding exactly where we wanted to be and what we wanted to do.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Then don't read it and certainly don't respond. Some people like to get stuff off their chests on here and don't need comments like this.
What stuff do they want to get off their chests? The question was "Did you move to Oz without visiting?" So many people these days seem to say that it is silly to move without a reccie. I'm simply pointing out that thousands have done it without one. Chill out!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:33 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GuyJac
Curious to know if anyone moved or is moving without first visiting. I'm not sure if a 2 week visit in one area of Oz will make that much difference and warrant the expense when you have already decided that your going. I understand that it all depends on peoples circumstances.
I did, never set foot in Australia and knew I would be ok, takes a certain sort of person though, figured I could live anywhere as long as I didn't have to learn another language.
Have never looked back been here just over 3 years.
Jenny
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:45 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
What stuff do they want to get off their chests? The question was "Did you move to Oz without visiting?" So many people these days seem to say that it is silly to move without a reccie. I'm simply pointing out that thousands have done it without one. Chill out!
You are the one that gets 'ticked off' by these threads, think it is you who should chill a bit.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
You are the one that gets 'ticked off' by these threads, think it is you who should chill a bit.
I get ticked off because so many people say that it is best to do a reccie, and I don't think that's necessary.It adds extra unnecessary stress to people who can't do that. Please let's leave it there!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Swooty will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Gibbo
I get ticked off because so many people say that it is best to do a reccie, and I don't think that's necessary.It adds extra unnecessary stress to people who can't do that. Please let's leave it there!
I took a new job in Brizzy without ever being there

Only after taking the job did I visit on my own, without the family.

I found it a fantastic place and cant to go on Feb 4th YIPEEEE !!!!!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

GuyJac is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies..
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GuyJac
Curious to know if anyone moved or is moving without first visiting. I'm not sure if a 2 week visit in one area of Oz will make that much difference and warrant the expense when you have already decided that your going. I understand that it all depends on peoples circumstances.

We did a 3 week trip in Nov/Dec to Perth and Tasmania - validating our visa's at that time. Glad we made the trip as for us it confirmed that Perth definitely wasn't right for our family and we loved the bits of Tasmania that we saw...so we've now choose to move there later this year...We have said that it's on the basis that if we dont like it there we know we're only an hour away on that side from Melbourne or Sydney by plane so we can hopefully have a good look about other area's as weekends away/holidays....just incase we see something else we prefer!
Doing a reccie isn't everyone's cup of tea - and yes it is an expensive way to decide... We could have just upped and moved to Perth which is where the OH's family all live but it would have been a big mistake for us...
Good luck with whatever you decide to do...
Old Jan 7th 2008, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by travelbug
We did a 3 week trip in Nov/Dec to Perth and Tasmania - validating our visa's at that time. Glad we made the trip as for us it confirmed that Perth definitely wasn't right for our family and we loved the bits of Tasmania that we saw...so we've now choose to move there later this year...We have said that it's on the basis that if we dont like it there we know we're only an hour away on that side from Melbourne or Sydney by plane so we can hopefully have a good look about other area's as weekends away/holidays....just incase we see something else we prefer!
Doing a reccie isn't everyone's cup of tea - and yes it is an expensive way to decide... We could have just upped and moved to Perth which is where the OH's family all live but it would have been a big mistake for us...
Good luck with whatever you decide to do...
Been here 11 years, didn't do a reccie, wasn't much into the internet so just had travel books to go on. Depends why you're moving and what you expect. We just wanted an adventure. I wouldn't have done it any other way - love it here. (OH, 3 kids 2,3 & 12 at the time).
Old Jan 7th 2008, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

It's very simple.

Some people feel they need to come over and get a feel for Australia first.

Some don't and will take the leap 'sight unseen' as it were.

Everyone does their own thing for their own reasons. We didn't do a reccie first BUT we have both lived abroad before so to us it's no big deal.

I would suggest that if you are worried about moving [will I get a job etc etc] and IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT come and have a look first. It's ultimately a personal decision.

Bear in mind, and this applies to everyone, that during a reccie you will be in holiday mode and will always see things in a positive light. Once you are here and working etc the shine does come off a little.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Bear in mind, and this applies to everyone, that during a reccie you will be in holiday mode and will always see things in a positive light. Once you are here and working etc the shine does come off a little.[/QUOTE]

You're very right. I think the key is that - when you do a reccie - it's important that you're NOT in holiday mode - and dont do just the things that you would do on holiday. We made a conscious effort to keep the rose tinted glasses off and for us it worked as we looked at and noticed things that if we'd been on a normal tourist holiday we probably wouldn't have seen....
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:43 am
skye

We did - never been before, knew no-one but we both had job offers which helped and have no regrets!

Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

We did too!!! Still early days but living every minute and so far wouldn't change a thing

Tammy
Old Jan 7th 2008, 12:10 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

We kinda did a reccie by accident. Have every intention of moving (my brother lives there and every time we spoke he said how much we'd like it) and no intention of doing a reccie. Then my bro annouced he was getting married there so we all went! We treated it more as a holiday but with the view that if we didn't like somewhere on holiday we probably wouldn't like working there either! Hence at least we were able to make the decision of Sydney over Melbourne so I suppose it helped that mush. Was also useful to meet people and just get a general vibe of the place, all of which convinced us that we're doing the right thing.

Therese