British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/did-you-have-leaving-do-just-slipped-away-quietly-503584/)

dave7370 Jan 6th 2008 8:05 am

Re: Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly?

Originally Posted by chris96 (Post 5744653)
Hi Dave,

I had a leaving party, best thing i done, although there was some cheap skate called dave drinking all my god dam beer :rofl:

Make sure you under cook the sausages and chicken and go out with a bang!!!

Chris.

lol... cheeky!

I only drank your beer because it was Asda's own brand and at 17p a can I thought it was luxury! :rofl:

See you Saturday night buddy! (need to arrange a meal out as well)

Clair and Darren Kleba Jan 6th 2008 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by pominNoosa (Post 5745407)
Next weekend it'll be exactly a year since I left Blighty. The week before I left I'd planned a girlie night with two close friends, followed by a pub crawl through Northampton the next night.
When I arrived at the girlie evening, a load more people, who were all rammed into a tiny kitchen, popped out shouting 'SURPRISE!' - which it definitely was! I had a great night and felt a bit embarrassed about the people who felt obliged to turn up for the pub crawl that I'd planned. Never mind - you only leave once (usually!).
No tears - they obviously weren't THAT sorry to see me go! :frown:

Hi there,

Just read your script on leaving do's and noticed that you'd been in Oz for a year, just wanted to ask you a few things really if you dont mind?? How are things going basically, are you enjoying it and is it everything you wished it would be? what are the prices like compared to here, with regards to shopping etc and house rental prices and cars etc..

Sorry to ask so many questions!!! Would be grateful if you could answer them though!!!

Thanks

Clair

Hutch Jan 6th 2008 12:29 pm

Anyone else struck by this thread's title? Did you slip away quietly? Brings to mind someone taking 'emselves off to Beachy Head on a Vespa... :lol:

toria184 Jan 6th 2008 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 5747194)
Anyone else struck by this thread's title? Did you slip away quietly? Brings to mind someone taking 'emselves off to Beachy Head on a Vespa... :lol:

I'm heading off in August and already my friends cry as if I've died so most certainly no party. I'll be happy with wee night in local pub to say the goodbyes - it's just too emotional!!! Hope you enjoy your night though.

Need to let everyone know how it went.
Victoria

dave7370 Jan 6th 2008 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 5747194)

Now you mention it, it could come across a bit like the end of life. That's not quite what I had in mind.:rofl:

Although some of our mates seem to think it's as good as offing ourselves. Christ, with the old t'internet, Skype, MSN etc I'll probably spend more time speaking to them than I do now.:lol:

toria184 Jan 6th 2008 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by dave7370 (Post 5748871)
Now you mention it, it could come across a bit like the end of life. That's not quite what I had in mind.:rofl:

Although some of our mates seem to think it's as good as offing ourselves. Christ, with the old t'internet, Skype, MSN etc I'll probably spend more time speaking to them than I do now.:lol:

My thoughts exactly and great opportunities for fab holidays!! But in all honesty who can be bothered with tears for 8 months (I sound heartless, but will be more emotional near the time). When is the big bash then? At least it's a good excuse for some excess drinking ha ha...

dave7370 Jan 6th 2008 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by toria184 (Post 5748903)
My thoughts exactly and great opportunities for fab holidays!! But in all honesty who can be bothered with tears for 8 months (I sound heartless, but will be more emotional near the time). When is the big bash then? At least it's a good excuse for some excess drinking ha ha...

Our drink-a-thon is the 12th, we then go to my brothers the following weekend to see him, his wife and new twins and my old dears, then we go the following weekend. :)

pominNoosa Jan 6th 2008 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Clair and Darren Kleba (Post 5747167)
Hi there,

Just read your script on leaving do's and noticed that you'd been in Oz for a year, just wanted to ask you a few things really if you dont mind?? How are things going basically, are you enjoying it and is it everything you wished it would be? what are the prices like compared to here, with regards to shopping etc and house rental prices and cars etc..

Sorry to ask so many questions!!! Would be grateful if you could answer them though!!!

Thanks

Clair

Hi Clair

Well - where to start?! Yes - it's all good although my 6 month euphoria has worn off! I had no expectations, which is probably good, and thought anything would be better than what I was doing in the UK. Which it certainly has been.
Is hard to say about prices cos it's swings and roundabouts, if you see what I mean. Cars: cheaper than UK for brand new, but more expensive than UK for 2nd hand - prob cos they don't turn into rust buckets, esp in Queensland anyway (see www.carsales.com.au). Shopping: food generally cheaper, except for milk and bread for some reason. Clothes seem cheaper, or at least as cheap as New Look or Primark, if you're looking for cheap. Obviously you can go as expensive as you like. Eating out is usually very good, in Brisbane and Sunshine Coast at least, and prices are pretty good.

As for rental, don't get me started! Prices aren't outrageous -yet! Check out www.realestate.com.au for rental prices - it seems to be what most agencies use. It's the nazi style viewing and selection procedure that annoys me. Because properties are highly sought after, viewings will be at a time of the agent's/landlords choosing and will be for everybody who's interested. You fill in a form and submit it along with all the other candidates and wait to see who was liked the best. As you can probably tell, we weren't sucessful straight away. We eventually relied on a friend of a friend who worked for an agency and recommended us to the landlord. I've heard of people submitting applications without looking round the place first because they're so desperate and can't get the time off work to go to the viewing.

Anyway, we've now bought a house and it's lovely, apart from the leaky roof. And we would never have been able to afford anything like it in the UK. We're 20 mins from Noosa, with it's beautiful beaches and national park, and we have an acre of land overlooking rainforest so that's pretty cool.

There's a big networking culture here; it's all about who you can get to know to help you along with stuff and that still seems alien to me. I've monumentally failed to get a job (I'm a full time student) but that's probably because I don't want to work as a waitress or barmaid. I've been after an office type temping job during the holiday and not sure why I haven't managed it. :confused: Also, it took 3 months to register my UK teaching qualifications here - just in time for the xmas holidays.:frown: They like their paperwork in oz. ;)

Anyway, there's more on my blog site: www.onewhingingpom.com It's not really whingey - promise!
PM me if you want to know anything more!!

Clair and Darren Kleba Jan 7th 2008 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by pominNoosa (Post 5749437)
Hi Clair

Well - where to start?! Yes - it's all good although my 6 month euphoria has worn off! I had no expectations, which is probably good, and thought anything would be better than what I was doing in the UK. Which it certainly has been.
Is hard to say about prices cos it's swings and roundabouts, if you see what I mean. Cars: cheaper than UK for brand new, but more expensive than UK for 2nd hand - prob cos they don't turn into rust buckets, esp in Queensland anyway (see www.carsales.com.au). Shopping: food generally cheaper, except for milk and bread for some reason. Clothes seem cheaper, or at least as cheap as New Look or Primark, if you're looking for cheap. Obviously you can go as expensive as you like. Eating out is usually very good, in Brisbane and Sunshine Coast at least, and prices are pretty good.

As for rental, don't get me started! Prices aren't outrageous -yet! Check out www.realestate.com.au for rental prices - it seems to be what most agencies use. It's the nazi style viewing and selection procedure that annoys me. Because properties are highly sought after, viewings will be at a time of the agent's/landlords choosing and will be for everybody who's interested. You fill in a form and submit it along with all the other candidates and wait to see who was liked the best. As you can probably tell, we weren't sucessful straight away. We eventually relied on a friend of a friend who worked for an agency and recommended us to the landlord. I've heard of people submitting applications without looking round the place first because they're so desperate and can't get the time off work to go to the viewing.

Anyway, we've now bought a house and it's lovely, apart from the leaky roof. And we would never have been able to afford anything like it in the UK. We're 20 mins from Noosa, with it's beautiful beaches and national park, and we have an acre of land overlooking rainforest so that's pretty cool.

There's a big networking culture here; it's all about who you can get to know to help you along with stuff and that still seems alien to me. I've monumentally failed to get a job (I'm a full time student) but that's probably because I don't want to work as a waitress or barmaid. I've been after an office type temping job during the holiday and not sure why I haven't managed it. :confused: Also, it took 3 months to register my UK teaching qualifications here - just in time for the xmas holidays.:frown: They like their paperwork in oz. ;)

Anyway, there's more on my blog site: www.onewhingingpom.com It's not really whingey - promise!
PM me if you want to know anything more!!

Thanks a lot that was really helpful thanks and i will certainly look on your blog and find out some more... Cant believe you have to go through a vetting process like that tho just to rent a holiday home seems barbaric!! but then i suppose everywhere's different.

Thanks again

Clair