Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly?

Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly?

Old Jan 4th 2008, 4:56 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly?

As per the question....

Did it feel like tying up loose ends having a do, or just adding more trauma and emotion to an already hard move?

If you didn't have one, did you wish you had?
Old Jan 4th 2008, 5:20 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly?

Originally Posted by dave7370
As per the question....

Did it feel like tying up loose ends having a do, or just adding more trauma and emotion to an already hard move?

I'm definitely going to have a party.
Any excuse
Old Jan 4th 2008, 5:30 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

You gotta have a party, you only leave once, touch wood, good luck!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 5:33 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I'll probably have it a few weeks before I actually leave though so it's a good night and not too emotional.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

I wasnt too bothered aout a party, but lots of family and friends wanted to be able to give us a going away 'good luck' so we booked one. Im glad i did now because i wouldnt have had enough time to go around and see them all individually.
However i am dreading it from the emotional point of view

i will let you know how it went as its sunday night.....
Old Jan 4th 2008, 5:51 pm
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by justsarah

i will let you know how it went as its sunday night.....
Good luck with it - definitely let us know how it goes
Old Jan 4th 2008, 5:59 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

I for one couldn't cope with a party and i knew that i would end up spending the night pissed in a corner crying with my mate.and not seeing any one else...so we opted for little nights out ...which in a way is nicer a bit more special i think so far .....
New years ever party with best mates ...but she put all leaving banners up
meal last night with very good friend
and to follow

8th ..pamper day with Mum and then Chinese
9th ...high school musical with kids and best mate and god child
10 th and 11th ...sister and partner over from IOM...satying in a hotel( no kids )
12 th ...meal a friends
13th off
14th off
15 th ...taken out for tea from school mum friends
16th off
17 off
18 th ...works leaving do
19 th ...meal with in laws
20 th ..meal with best friend and family
21st & 22nd....quiet wind down with mum and step dad
24 th leaving on a jet plane

so i will turn up at Perth knackered and a fat bastard from all the meals
Old Jan 4th 2008, 7:43 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Booked a place for a week tomorrow. My wife was worried there'll only be about 20 people coming, but so far it's more than triple that!

Drink beer, get drunk, chat rubbish, pass out! Woohoo.... it's all planned!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Issie
I for one couldn't cope with a party and i knew that i would end up spending the night pissed in a corner crying with my mate.and not seeing any one else...so we opted for little nights out ...which in a way is nicer a bit more special i think so far .....
New years ever party with best mates ...but she put all leaving banners up
meal last night with very good friend
and to follow

8th ..pamper day with Mum and then Chinese
9th ...high school musical with kids and best mate and god child
10 th and 11th ...sister and partner over from IOM...satying in a hotel( no kids )
12 th ...meal a friends
13th off
14th off
15 th ...taken out for tea from school mum friends
16th off
17 off
18 th ...works leaving do
19 th ...meal with in laws
20 th ..meal with best friend and family
21st & 22nd....quiet wind down with mum and step dad
24 th leaving on a jet plane

so i will turn up at Perth knackered and a fat bastard from all the meals
Hey not long now for you. Any space in a suitcase for a small one Good luck with them all. Thats what we did and enjoyed them more.

Lynne
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:45 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave7370
As per the question....

No party for us - we just travelled around the UK to say goodbye to family on the build up to the leave - that was emotional enough for me - a party would have been a killer I reckon.

I'm glad we didnt have one
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Wish we'd had one. Ended up with lots of 'goodbye nights' which meant LOTS of crying would've been better all in one go
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

don't think we're going to have one.
Just special nights with the people who mean a lot.
We will have separate work do. Then for best friends a good night out
and then big family meal.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

A couple of days before we left we had a huge family fun day so everyone could come. Bouncy castle, magician, food, disco food and it went from 4.30pm through to 12pm.

Quiet do with close family the night before we flew.

No one at the airport so no tears.

Mick
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:27 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Our families and friends are spread from the North East to the South West and we were in the middle so we didn't have a party, just spent a lot of time on the motorway going to say our goodbyes. The in-laws took us to the airport as we'd stayed with them the night before. MiL was quite emotional.

We went back to visit pretty quickly anyway - more for the families than for us. I think in the early days it's worse for those left behind, as those that move are busy getting on with their exciting new lives.

If we move along again (thinking of doing it soon) we'll have to have a big party as we've got about 40 bottles of spirits to get rid of.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We had a leaving do but due to circumstances it ended up being about three months before we left so it was very chilled, brilliant laugh and no one got upset. Just before we finally left it was lots of different days/meals/piss ups with lots of different people. Perfict

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.