British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/did-you-have-leaving-do-just-slipped-away-quietly-503584/)

dave7370 Jan 4th 2008 4:56 pm

Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly?
 
As per the question....

Did it feel like tying up loose ends having a do, or just adding more trauma and emotion to an already hard move?

If you didn't have one, did you wish you had?

Kapri Jan 4th 2008 5:20 pm

Re: Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly?
 

Originally Posted by dave7370 (Post 5739588)
As per the question....

Did it feel like tying up loose ends having a do, or just adding more trauma and emotion to an already hard move?

If you didn't have one, did you wish you had?

I'm definitely going to have a party.
Any excuse :thumbsup:

Sooty and Sweep Jan 4th 2008 5:30 pm

Re: Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly?
 
You gotta have a party, you only leave once, touch wood, good luck!:D

Kapri Jan 4th 2008 5:33 pm

Re: Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly?
 
I'll probably have it a few weeks before I actually leave though so it's a good night and not too emotional.

WelshSarah Jan 4th 2008 5:48 pm

Re: Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly?
 
I wasnt too bothered aout a party, but lots of family and friends wanted to be able to give us a going away 'good luck' so we booked one. Im glad i did now because i wouldnt have had enough time to go around and see them all individually.
However i am dreading it from the emotional point of view :sad_smile:

i will let you know how it went as its sunday night.....:eek::eek:

Kapri Jan 4th 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly?
 

Originally Posted by justsarah (Post 5739767)

i will let you know how it went as its sunday night.....:eek::eek:

Good luck with it - definitely let us know how it goes :)

Issie Jan 4th 2008 5:59 pm

Re: Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly?
 
I for one couldn't cope with a party and i knew that i would end up spending the night pissed in a corner crying with my mate.and not seeing any one else...so we opted for little nights out ...which in a way is nicer a bit more special i think so far .....
New years ever party with best mates ...but she put all leaving banners up
meal last night with very good friend
and to follow
...

8th ..pamper day with Mum and then Chinese
9th ...high school musical with kids and best mate and god child
10 th and 11th ...sister and partner over from IOM...satying in a hotel( no kids ):thumbsup:
12 th ...meal a friends
13th off
14th off
15 th ...taken out for tea from school mum friends
16th off
17 off
18 th ...works leaving do
19 th ...meal with in laws
20 th ..meal with best friend and family
21st & 22nd....quiet wind down with mum and step dad
24 th leaving on a jet plane

so i will turn up at Perth knackered and a fat bastard from all the meals :rofl:

dave7370 Jan 4th 2008 7:43 pm

Re: Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly?
 
Booked a place for a week tomorrow. My wife was worried there'll only be about 20 people coming, but so far it's more than triple that!:D

Drink beer, get drunk, chat rubbish, pass out! Woohoo.... it's all planned!:rofl:

mick69 Jan 4th 2008 7:56 pm

Re: Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly?
 

Originally Posted by Issie (Post 5739800)
I for one couldn't cope with a party and i knew that i would end up spending the night pissed in a corner crying with my mate.and not seeing any one else...so we opted for little nights out ...which in a way is nicer a bit more special i think so far .....
New years ever party with best mates ...but she put all leaving banners up
meal last night with very good friend
and to follow
...

8th ..pamper day with Mum and then Chinese
9th ...high school musical with kids and best mate and god child
10 th and 11th ...sister and partner over from IOM...satying in a hotel( no kids ):thumbsup:
12 th ...meal a friends
13th off
14th off
15 th ...taken out for tea from school mum friends
16th off
17 off
18 th ...works leaving do
19 th ...meal with in laws
20 th ..meal with best friend and family
21st & 22nd....quiet wind down with mum and step dad
24 th leaving on a jet plane

so i will turn up at Perth knackered and a fat bastard from all the meals :rofl:

Hey not long now for you. Any space in a suitcase for a small one ;) Good luck with them all. Thats what we did and enjoyed them more.

Lynne :)

Mrs Jackaroo Jan 4th 2008 9:45 pm

Re: Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly?
 

Originally Posted by dave7370 (Post 5739588)
As per the question....

Did it feel like tying up loose ends having a do, or just adding more trauma and emotion to an already hard move?

If you didn't have one, did you wish you had?

No party for us - we just travelled around the UK to say goodbye to family on the build up to the leave - that was emotional enough for me - a party would have been a killer I reckon.

I'm glad we didnt have one :)

curly Jan 4th 2008 9:53 pm

Re: Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly?
 
Wish we'd had one. Ended up with lots of 'goodbye nights' which meant LOTS of crying :( would've been better all in one go ;)

sammyg Jan 4th 2008 9:54 pm

Re: Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly?
 
don't think we're going to have one.
Just special nights with the people who mean a lot.
We will have separate work do. Then for best friends a good night out
and then big family meal.

hantsfamily1 Jan 5th 2008 12:46 am

Re: Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly?
 
A couple of days before we left we had a huge family fun day so everyone could come. Bouncy castle, magician, food, disco food and it went from 4.30pm through to 12pm.

Quiet do with close family the night before we flew.

No one at the airport so no tears.

Mick

Kooky. Jan 5th 2008 1:27 am

Re: Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly?
 
Our families and friends are spread from the North East to the South West and we were in the middle so we didn't have a party, just spent a lot of time on the motorway going to say our goodbyes. The in-laws took us to the airport as we'd stayed with them the night before. MiL was quite emotional.

We went back to visit pretty quickly anyway - more for the families than for us. I think in the early days it's worse for those left behind, as those that move are busy getting on with their exciting new lives.

If we move along again (thinking of doing it soon) we'll have to have a big party as we've got about 40 bottles of spirits to get rid of. :)

moneypenny20 Jan 5th 2008 1:43 am

Re: Did you have a leaving do... or just slipped away quietly?
 
We had a leaving do but due to circumstances it ended up being about three months before we left so it was very chilled, brilliant laugh and no one got upset. Just before we finally left it was lots of different days/meals/piss ups with lots of different people. Perfict:thumbsup:


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:00 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.