Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did you get your visa stamped??

Did you get your visa stamped??

Old Mar 20th 2004, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road
Default Did you get your visa stamped??

For those that have made it over or those that have validated their visas, did they actually stamp the visa in the passport??

I was expecting a dirty big ink mark saying entered when we arrived last week but just got a stamp on a blank page.

I know that it will be on their computers that I have entered and so who cares but it confused me as I hace read posts about people trying to get migrants baggage allowance after having validated and the airlines saying you must provide evidence of a unstamped visa

To clarify I have a multiple entry skilled independent visa - don't know whether that matters !

As it stands I can now come over for good In September and get my 40kg allowance no problem as I have a unstamped visa. Happy days !!!!!
Old Mar 20th 2004, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

Sorry to disapoint you, but i doubt you will get your extra baggage allowance!
To my knowledge nobody actually gets their visa stamped-just their passport. We didn't get ours stamped when we validated our visas or emigrated.
wendy
Old Mar 20th 2004, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Nor us, so when we go in December we will have the usual baggage allowance. Sorry to burst the bubble!!

pockygoes
Old Mar 20th 2004, 9:03 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

If there is an stamp dated after the issuance of the visa then the visa has been validated and Singapore airlines are probably trained to spot that. Maybe speak to their customer services and show them the quick exit stamp to get the allowance. No idea of the chance though.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 11:02 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

I had an email conversation with a lady from Singapore Airlines before our validation trip and asked about the extra baggage allowance.

She checked that our validation trip tickets had the standard allowance, and promised me that if I contact her when I've booked the one way ticket to emigrate, she'll sort it out so that I get the allowance.

This seems to be unusual so I'll check with her again (and of course it does depend on me booking with Singapore Airlines again!) but as far as I'm concerned it's all under control.

Anyone else managed to get the extra allowance after a validation trip?

Elaine M
Old Mar 21st 2004, 3:36 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

nz stamped on a blank page in all our passports except mine! I was in a real panic when I realised a few days later and they said it was on the computers and not to worry but felt cheated I really wanted that stamp after all the work Id put into it
Old Mar 21st 2004, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

So I assume then they must have access to your passport records at the airline as that is the only way they can check your visa from an unstamped faxed one ?

Ah well at least that saves me the embarrassment of turning up at Customs on my return and demanding they stamp my visa!

I have it confirmed by e-mail that we can have the 40kg baggage allowance when we go for good in September but I am sure this is something you have to sort out with them one-on-one. Best advice for anyone else who is planning a validation trip