Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did you book your flights b4 house exchanged?

Did you book your flights b4 house exchanged?

Old May 25th 2006, 12:48 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did you book your flights b4 house exchanged?

We have found some good flights butI am reluctant to book them, (because our house hasn't exchanged yet) although the OH says we should, just wondering if its worth the extra pressure of having the flights booked and then the buyers throw a wobbler and things get put back.
The agent (Trailblazers) won't give a refund and you can't change the dates :scared: .
What do you all think, is it in for a penny.....

or should we hold back.....

( the buyers said they want to complete end of July and the flights are 9 August)
Old May 25th 2006, 1:01 pm
One of Big G's girls.

Loubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Did you book your flights b4 house exchanged?

Originally Posted by soonbethere
We have found some good flights butI am reluctant to book them, (because our house hasn't exchanged yet) although the OH says we should, just wondering if its worth the extra pressure of having the flights booked and then the buyers throw a wobbler and things get put back.
The agent (Trailblazers) won't give a refund and you can't change the dates :scared: .

( the buyers said they want to complete end of July and the flights are 9 August)
I wouldn't book flights until exchange. We had a cash buyer for our house, who wanted to move in end of April. Came round loads to measure up etc, seemed really keen and then a couple of days before exchange, pulled out ( well, wanted to reduce the price a lot so we ditched him!). .
I was sure it was going to go ahead, but thankfully hadn't booked flights / shippers etc. We are still here, having had to put the house back on the market. Have just accepted another offer, but wont be booking anything until exchange. Its a lot of money to lose if it all falls through.
I'm sure there will be people who have taken the chance and its gone ok, but thats not an option for me.
Good Luck with whatever you decide.
Old May 25th 2006, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

can you ask for a 500 quid deposit off the new buyers its normal if you buy new and happening more often on other house sales
Old May 25th 2006, 1:11 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Our house doesn't go on the market until next month but we're already booked our flights for the end of November. However, the tickets are flexible so we can change dates without penalty - I'd think twice about booking if there was a chance we'd have to cancel the flight and lose the money we'd paid.

Can't you look at pushing for an early exchange date and then still set completion for end of July?

Nicky
Old May 25th 2006, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

We booked before we exchanged. As soon as we got our visa - I booked our flights. Then I had a panic as I thought "I haven't booked a date for the shippers - what if they are not available". But it has all worked out OK.

I booked directly through Singapore Airlines - I phoned them up to ask if I could change our flying date if need be and they said yes and it wouldn't cost anything unless we flew in a higher season then we'd have to pay the difference in the price of the ticket.

Old May 25th 2006, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you can get flexible tickets I wouldn't.

The UK property system is so crazy that a buyer [or seller] can pull out at any time until exchange leaving you with potentially worthless tickets.

In my opinion it would be like throwing money out of the window.
Old May 25th 2006, 9:18 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
Unless you can get flexible tickets I wouldn't.

The UK property system is so crazy that a buyer [or seller] can pull out at any time until exchange leaving you with potentially worthless tickets.

In my opinion it would be like throwing money out of the window.

Ummm, thanks for your comments, its the pits when you hear a story about the buyer wanting a big reduction at the '11th' hour, I really can't see our buyers doing this, but I said to my OH that if something out of the blue happened like they (God forbid) lost their job or something, then they would have to pull out, I don't think they would do anything purposely, they have been dead straight all the way through, reports have had to be done on the house, and not once did they ask for a reduction, but me being a scaredy cat, I am not happy to go ahead and book the blessed flights, just that trailblazers have held the price until Saturday, I don't see the swift exchange happening like we all asked.!

Thanks for the input, keeps me on track...I suppose if its going to cost us a bit more to book in a week or so, its worth it rather than loosing 75% of the price!!!

Cheers
Old May 26th 2006, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all

Dont do it..
Old May 26th 2006, 6:23 am
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all

We opted on playing it safe and waited until we had exchanged.

Tracey x
Old May 26th 2006, 1:34 pm
Nothing is Free!

Location: Seacliff Park, Adelaide. Call in for a drink and a bbq if your passin'
Rachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cantwait
Dont do it..
We have, not accepted the offer we got, flying out next month wether the house sells or not.
The house can stay on the market and her mother can send us the cheque if/when it sells.

Paul
Old May 26th 2006, 1:41 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

Originally Posted by Rachel & Paul
We have, not accepted the offer we got, flying out next month wether the house sells or not.
The house can stay on the market and her mother can send us the cheque if/when it sells.

Paul

Blimey, 'Our chain' is just us, and our buyers, its taken WEEKS and still no nearer on, all we want is for the buyers to get the mtg offer, and away we go.... we will be happy enough with that, our buyers HAVE to be out of their rented house by the end of July anyway, so that would be good for us. If the lender gets their finger out and issues the mtg offer!!
Come on we have a whole new life waiting for us!!!
Old May 26th 2006, 1:47 pm
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road

go for it,
you can still complete even if you are away. Booked our flights ages ago. heading Aug 16th
Old May 26th 2006, 2:10 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

Originally Posted by tucs
go for it,
you can still complete even if you are away. Booked our flights ages ago. heading Aug 16th

Hi are you in Meath, as in where "the 3 counties meet....." lovely, why are you moving, apart from the weather!!!
My folks are in Kildare, Offaly, Loise, Co Dublin.........well all over Eire really!
Where are you heading to?
Old May 26th 2006, 2:28 pm
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road

Hi are you in Meath, as in where "the 3 counties meet....." lovely, why are you moving, apart from the weather!!!
My folks are in Kildare, Offaly, Loise, Co Dublin.........well all over Eire really!
Where are you heading to?
Heading to Perth, wife has some sisters there. Why am i moving??? dont bloody know. Have a great job lovely house great car. I must be mad.

Seriously though, wanted to give it a go for the kids. if i dont do it now they will be getting old enough to want to stay.

I work in Kildare and live right beside dublin.