Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did anyone take a washing machine and tumble dryer

Did anyone take a washing machine and tumble dryer

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

cybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant future
Question Did anyone take a washing machine and tumble dryer

Had the moving guys around for a quote last week and they told us to take the washing machine and tumble dryer. I am a bit reluctant to take these items as we will be renting for a while and they are heavy things to keep moving if we move rentals a lot. I am not sure if the movers just want us to take them to make the load more expensive. Have any of you taken these items or would you recommend taking them?
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did anyone take a washing machine and tumble dryer

Originally Posted by cybie
Had the moving guys around for a quote last week and they told us to take the washing machine and tumble dryer. I am a bit reluctant to take these items as we will be renting for a while and they are heavy things to keep moving if we move rentals a lot. I am not sure if the movers just want us to take them to make the load more expensive. Have any of you taken these items or would you recommend taking them?

If they work OK then take them, especially if you have a container anyway. Just make sure that the removal company secure them properly (or that you have adequate insurance )
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

If they are a good make and in good working order then bring them as they are quite expensive.You can buy cheap out of Kmart etc, but they are pretty poor quality. We brought ours no probs, as previous poster said, if you have a container you might as well fill it.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

darrellandsarah will become famous soon enoughdarrellandsarah will become famous soon enough

personally i wouldn,t bother,we shipped ours over and it,s still in customs after 2months plus.in the end we couldn,t manage without 1 so ended up buying a front loader from harvey normans.$400 with $200 government rebate
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

I took mine with me and wouldn't be without it and only left it with my daughter when I came back here to UK but we were lucky in having a local Laundrette which made life easier until it arrived. They are quite expensive items so it depends if you want to pay out for a new one or not and if you are prepared to wait. Personally can't stand top loaders just dont wash as good but thats just my opinion. I know others that love top loaders.

When we go back I will take my current new front loader with me but only cos I love it to bits, i know daft as a broom brush!

Regards
Di
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Colchester, Essex but hope to head to Bulli / Thirroul area.....
Bubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really nice

I wouldn't bother with the tumble dryer but a good front loader is hard to find!!! If you like the machine, it can do a hot wash (Aussie's love their cold wash ) then you might just love having it with you despite the inconvenience!!
I didn't take mine, had a cold fill top loader, and sadly have to say it was a huge bugbare........
If you have the space make room for a family friend
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Colchester, Essex but hope to head to Bulli / Thirroul area.....
Bubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really nice

Originally Posted by PLANTS
I took mine with me and wouldn't be without it and only left it with my daughter when I came back here to UK but we were lucky in having a local Laundrette which made life easier until it arrived. They are quite expensive items so it depends if you want to pay out for a new one or not and if you are prepared to wait. Personally can't stand top loaders just dont wash as good but thats just my opinion. I know others that love top loaders.

When we go back I will take my current new front loader with me but only cos I love it to bits, i know daft as a broom brush!

Regards
Di
Ditto Di - you cannot underestimate the front loader
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:26 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

We brought ours, they are Meile ones so I didn't want to leave them behind. Still going strong.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

I wasn't going to bring the tumble drier, glad I did esp for winter here! Bought a front loader here for about $700, they may have gone down a bit now.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

The cost of white goods out here is pretty high.. the cheaper white goods aren't very good quality..

Bring them.. def..

Em x
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Bring them...

But you did remember to keep the drum locking/transit pins - especially for the washer didn't you? Make sure the transit pins are put back in before moving it or you're more than likely damage the drum in transit.

Our rental came with a drier, but our good condenser drier is sat in the gararge read for when we buy a house.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

I brought my washer, dryer and dishwasher - no rental house i saw came with any of these so I'm glad i did bring them as i had no spare cash to replace them
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:09 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

We brought ours and they're still OK after two years. Don't underestimate the need for a tumble drier. We had a lot of rain this winter in Perth and it certainly got used.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:16 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Yep both here too to Perth..... Front loaders which are well expensive here as well considering. You just have to change all the plugs. Pipe fittings are the same. I do find that the hot weather does corrode the rubber parts more here though.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:20 pm
ABCDiamond

Washing Machine prices start at something like the:

NEC NFL855 5.5 Kg Front Loader Washer for $499 BEFORE the government rebates (about $150-$200) meaning the cost could be $299

LG WD8015C WD8015C 7 kg Front Loader Washer for $549 before rebate

Maytag MAF6512AAW 6.5kg Front Loader Washer for $1,188 before rebate

Bosch Front Load Washing Machine WBB24751AUW 10kg Front Loader Washer $2,175 before rebate

LG WD1255RD6 10kg Wash / 6kg Dry 1200rpm Steam $2,287 before rebate

I have excluded Top Load prices, as they going out of fashion here, and do not generally qualify for the rebates.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.