Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

did anyone take a buggy?

Wikiposts

did anyone take a buggy?

Old Jul 14th 2004, 12:07 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default did anyone take a buggy?

Here's the thing,

when we go to Oz I would like to have a few days in Singapore - I really want to break the flight up for the twins a bit and think that they will love the night safari - also that funny musical water fountain in the shopping centre - do you know the one i mean? Anyway - bit on a tangent - but at the moment they go everywhere in a double buggy - honestly I don't exaggerate when I say that walking them up the garden path to the car is a mission - believe me when they both go in separate directions at toddler pace you are left guessing who to chase first - anyway - can you take a double buggy on planes - if not any suggestions for getting round it - have tried the reigns things that was a bit like having to try to constantly untwist your arms where they managed to tangle themselves up - when they were not sat on the floor refusing to walk

ANYONE with any ideads
Old Jul 14th 2004, 12:09 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: did anyone take a buggy?

Originally posted by diddy

can you take a double buggy on planes -
You can, but they take it off you just as you get on and it goes in the hold.

I'd take it if I were you. We have twins and took ours (although it was nicked in Dubai)
Old Jul 14th 2004, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's the thing,

when we go to Oz I would like to have a few days in Singapore - I really want to break the flight up for the twins a bit and think that they will love the night safari - also that funny musical water fountain in the shopping centre - do you know the one i mean? Anyway - bit on a tangent - but at the moment they go everywhere in a double buggy - honestly I don't exaggerate when I say that walking them up the garden path to the car is a mission - believe me when they both go in separate directions at toddler pace you are left guessing who to chase first - anyway - can you take a double buggy on planes - if not any suggestions for getting round it - have tried the reigns things that was a bit like having to try to constantly untwist your arms where they managed to tangle themselves up - when they were not sat on the floor refusing to walk

ANYONE with any ideads

This isnt exactly anything to do with your question....but....they might also love having breakfast at the zoo....you get to hold the monkeys and some of the other animals...it was really good value too....

Old Jul 14th 2004, 12:14 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Here's the thing,

ANYONE with any ideads
Speak to the airline and pre arrange. You are fully entitled to take the buggy right to the door of the aircraft and then they will take it and put it in the rear hold, It should in theory be waiting at the Aircraft door when you get off however this is not always the case aste airline has to rely on outstation contractors to get the message (it doesn't always happen the way we want) the worse thet shoudd happen is that your buggy will be on the carasol and it will usually be one of the 1st things off as it is last on.

It may be worth pre arranging direct with your airline but you should be fine

Good luck
Kala
Old Jul 14th 2004, 12:16 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Hels
This isnt exactly anything to do with your question....but....they might also love having breakfast at the zoo....you get to hold the monkeys and some of the other animals...it was really good value too....

Am i right in thinking that the zoo is just a taxi ride out of singapore? Also if we had say three days there can you think of anything else that we could do with them - origionally i was planning on going us route but don't feel so happy about that now - so did you do anything else there
Old Jul 14th 2004, 12:19 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Am i right in thinking that the zoo is just a taxi ride out of singapore? Also if we had say three days there can you think of anything else that we could do with them - origionally i was planning on going us route but don't feel so happy about that now - so did you do anything else there
Go to Sentosa Island, see the dolphins, go inside the merlion, finish off with the musical fountains.

The botanical gardens are worth a visit and have an orchid centre.

Also with the night safari, this is in the same location but a different attraction to the zoo. So go to the zoo in the mid to late afternoon then as its getting dark have a meal waiting for the night safari to begin then go on the night safari.

Your kids will probably be asleep by this stage though.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, you are right...and the taxi's in Singapore are really cheap....We actually catched the train then a bus to get to the zoo and a cab home cause it started pouring down with rain....it only cost about $14 Singapore from the zoo to our hotel which was one block off Orchid Road....so quite central....The trains in Singapore are wonderful...they are clean and cheap and very easy to catch....

We went on one of those amphibius vehicles which was a nice way to see the city...we did lots of shopping, which wouldnt be too much fun with 2 littl'ns....There is alot to do....the Hotel will have loads of brochures in the foyer....

You will have fun...I am sure....

Hels
Old Jul 14th 2004, 12:22 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

thanks I will take it, nearer the time will look into child friendly airlines, thanks all, Renth did you find flying with twins o.k. - as you know public transport is not something generally you do with twins, i have never taken them on a bus, train or coach let alone a plane to Australia - but it is fact that to emigrate we have to do it - oh i wish that i could have mary poppins powers and click my fingers and be there

Anything else I am overlooking - will they heat kiddies milk up on the plane and so on = is there anything that I need to bear in mind for flying with them - do you reckon it would be worth doing a trial run with them like going short hall to scotland?
Old Jul 14th 2004, 12:29 pm
(It's not my real name)

thanks I will take it, nearer the time will look into child friendly airlines, thanks all, Renth did you find flying with twins o.k. - as you know public transport is not something generally you do with twins, i have never taken them on a bus, train or coach let alone a plane to Australia - but it is fact that to emigrate we have to do it - oh i wish that i could have mary poppins powers and click my fingers and be there

Anything else I am overlooking - will they heat kiddies milk up on the plane and so on = is there anything that I need to bear in mind for flying with them - do you reckon it would be worth doing a trial run with them like going short hall to scotland?
Don't worry, that's the main thing. When we first came to Australia the twins were 3 and the boy was 4.

You won't be the first family flying with small kids.

I'm sure the airline will heat the kiddies milk for you, especially if you are flying Singapore Airlines, they're good with kids.

We saw a doctor and got some Vallergan, which is an antihistamine which is used as a pre-med. We gave them a mild dose and it worked a treat.

With hindsight I don't think it was necessary because on a subsequent trip the kids were very good on the plane and the motion of the aircraft and the engine noise relaxed them.

As I said before, don't stress out, they'll be fine.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 12:33 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

Originally posted by renth
Don't worry, that's the main thing. When we first came to Australia the twins were 3 and the boy was 4.

I'm sure the airline will heat the kiddies milk for you, especially if you are flying Singapore Airlines, they're good with kids.

We saw a doctor and got some Vallergan, which is an antihistamine which is used as a pre-med. We gave them a mild dose and it worked a treat.

With hindsight I don't think it was necessary because on a subsequent trip the kids were very good on the plane and the motion of the aircraft and the engine noise relaxed them.

thanks again, this has helped loads I am looking forward to it now, Sentosa Island where is that - easily accessible? Will find out about that - thank you
Old Jul 14th 2004, 12:34 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Yep they will heat the kids milk, Well I dont know of an airline that wont.

Personally wouldn't bother with the trial flight, If they do hate it it is goin to be worse for them knowing that is is hapening again, best to make the whole thing an adventure, start pointing at planes in the sky now and tell them that they will be going on one soon so they start to look forward to it. If you are near an airport then take them to the viewing gallery and get them interested.

Again I would speak to the airline you book with direct and try and prebook bulkhead seats where you will have more room to move about as a family, some airlines charge a bit extra for this but it's probably worth it with 2 toddlers.

Good luck

Kala
Old Jul 14th 2004, 12:35 pm
(It's not my real name)

thanks again, this has helped loads I am looking forward to it now, Sentosa Island where is that - easily accessible? Will find out about that - thank you
It's where you'll find the musical fountains.

There is a spectacular cable car ride to get there too.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 12:43 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth

Agree with Renth, try not to worry too much about the flight itself, familiies with kids fly everyday. Take the buggy, as renth & kala have said, you should be able to take it to the door of the plane & then they will put it in the hold. I did it both ways (with reins to the Uk & then with a buggy back to Aus) & the buggy did made it easier. I did the same as Renth & used phenergan on them (if you met my kids you'd know why :scared: ), & will probably do so again when we fly over in Sept, but mainly because our boys dont sleep well.

Our boys had just turned 3 at the time I came back to Oz & I did the flight alone both ways. By the end they were quite the seasoned travellers & would be on the plane & in their seats with their seatbelts on before I even got to the front of economy.

PS. You always chase the one whos heading for the most dangerous situation, been there done that & got the tshirt so many times my cupboard is full of them .
Old Jul 14th 2004, 12:44 pm
rudo1ph

If you are out and about all day in Sinagpore, try and get hold of a milk powder holder......they sell them in all the supermarkets there. You just carry water in the bottles and have measured amounts of milk powder in the special containers.......that way the milk doesn't go off!!

Musical fountains on Sentosa are worth doing. Dolphins.....well maybe (they are pink!) but it's a bit of a trek and doesn't last long. Aquarium on Sentosa is crap.......you are in and out within a few minutes!

Doors can be narrow in Singapore........you may have problems if you have a particularly wide double buggy!!!

If you do the botanical gardens, go early - that way you can wander around in the very slightly cooler temperatures of the earlt morning.

With children I'd choose the Bird Park rather than the Botanical gardens.......but it depends how old they are.

Don't forget to take swimmers for the kids to the zoo and Birdpark - they have great water areas for them to run around and play.

Can't think of anything else!

Old Jul 14th 2004, 6:58 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

on the buggy side of things, if you take it to the plane door would it be counted as part of the luggage weight allowance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.