Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did anyone ship their motor?

Did anyone ship their motor?

Old Sep 18th 2007, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

the harrys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Did anyone ship their motor?

Hope this doesn't sound like too silly a question, but did anyone ship their car to Oz when they emigrated? If you did, how much did it cost?
I ask as I have only had my long waited for BN people carrier for six months (space for 4 kids, yeh!). The depreciation doesn't bear thinking about at this stage for selling it, or even in a years or so's time.
I hopin it would be cheaper to ship than to buy a new one in Oz.

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere on the forum.
OH going out for a reccie Nov 1st to Perth, fingers crossed!
Helen x
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:24 am
One of Big G's girls.

Loubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Did anyone ship their motor?

Check out some of my old posts - I've detailed the hassle and costs involved. Serious thought needed before you decide.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:54 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Did anyone ship their motor?

Yes I agree - more trouble than its worth.

We brought a Peugeot 307 out to NZ with us about 3 years ago. We couldn't sell it in the UK because it wasn't a very popular colour (orange) and the model had some bad press at the time. Dealers were offering us about 2000 pounds under its value but I seriously wish we had taken this. It cost about 1000 pounds to ship in a shared container. We had to pay for a compliance certificate and pay for NZ rego and wof. $1000 dollars approx

When it arrived in NZ, we went to see it in the storage yard and it had a huge dent in the side, that wasn't there when it left the UK. We couldn't prove how it had happened or by whom and we didn't have any insurance because we couldn't afford it, also it was a very last minute decision to take it, so couldn't get compensated for it.

Also, the car wouldn't start and so we had to pay for it to be towed to the Peugeot dealers in Auckland. The mechanic believed that it wouldn't start because the docks crew (or someone) had connected the battery the wrong way round and had blown all the on board computer. We had to pay for a new one to be installed, luckily the mechanic was a UK guy and had a private one that he had brought over with him, that he fitted cheap.$

We are currently trying to sell it now, but it has a uk rego in miles and its km out here. We have paid to have the dent remove and it has had a new exhaust fitted too which now has brought up an engine error (which is common) but without paying an arm and a leg at the Peugeot dealers, its too expensive to sort. We have reduced the price to about $3,500 under the book value but still it wont sell!

I work in the city and travel about 45-1 hours journey everyday, each way in heavy/slow traffic and now wish I had a automatic (which are much more common out here). Both my husband and daughter drive cheap Japanese import automatics, which are easy to drive and cheap to upkeep.

It may be slightly different in Aus - I'm not sure, but definitely worth some serious consideration.

Debbie