Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did anyone ship their car??

Did anyone ship their car??

Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:19 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Did anyone ship their car??

Can anyone give me an idea of what they had to pay to Customs when their car arrived? Im aware of shipping costs but I'm trying to get an idea of duties payable in Australia? Cheers.

So far, I have shipping quote for £1,500 but duties on top of that seem to take me to in excess of £4,000!!?? Yikes. :scared:
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:25 am
Account Closed

Default Re: Did anyone ship their car??

hellooooooo.......??? anyone....???
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:48 am
Banned

djdutts is on a distinguished road

Hi Rooksie

Nice to hear from you again!

Right - we're shipping one cat and we're using Golden Arrow shippers. What with their fees plus the immigration fees (including 6 weeks quarantine), you're looking at about £1000. They have an excellent reputation and I've shopped around and it is fair price.

Their number is: 01588 680240

Pint please!

Chris
http://StandUpSpeakup.co.uk
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by djdutts
Hi Rooksie

Nice to hear from you again!

Right - we're shipping one cat and we're using Golden Arrow shippers. What with their fees plus the immigration fees (including 6 weeks quarantine), you're looking at about £1000. They have an excellent reputation and I've shopped around and it is fair price.

Their number is: 01588 680240

Pint please!

Chris
http://StandUpSpeakup.co.uk

CAR you wally!!!! heee heee

sorry couldnt resist it!!!!

LOL!!!

going to buy you a beer for that one!!!!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:52 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rooksie
Can anyone give me an idea of what they had to pay to Customs when their car arrived? Im aware of shipping costs but I'm trying to get an idea of duties payable in Australia? Cheers.

So far, I have shipping quote for £1,500 but duties on top of that seem to take me to in excess of £4,000!!?? Yikes. :scared:
Which company are you thinking of using?

Slightly different position but we're looking at shipping 4 motorbikes (Yes 4!!) and the only reason it's financially viable is that 3 of them are over 15 years old and you don't pay customs duties on motorbikes. Have you worked out the figure of £4000 yourself or is that what the shipping company has told you?

The whole procedure of importing a vehicle looks like a minefield and I'm seriously wondering whether it's worth the aggro to ship my bike - may leave hubby to sort out his 3 himself!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:52 am
Banned

MAJOR BOO BOO!

Damn I'm stupid.

You can try phoning them up to ask if they can ship your car as well, but I doubt whether you'll get any joy!

Oops
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:54 am
Banned

Cat, Car, same thing!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:54 am
PommieLeague

And you must have owned the car at least 12 months.
What car have you got to bring over Rooksie?

Old Mar 9th 2005, 11:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by djdutts
Cat, Car, same thing!

made me smile - bless you!!!!

we have 1 dog and 2 cats and my car - JESUS!!!! mega bucks :scared:
Old Mar 9th 2005, 11:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lathlain
And you must have owned the car at least 12 months.
What car have you got to bring over Rooksie?

Golf V6 4 Motion - its lush.

however got to be practical - bloody lot of money :scared:
Old Mar 9th 2005, 11:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Nicstids
Which company are you thinking of using?

Slightly different position but we're looking at shipping 4 motorbikes (Yes 4!!) and the only reason it's financially viable is that 3 of them are over 15 years old and you don't pay customs duties on motorbikes. Have you worked out the figure of £4000 yourself or is that what the shipping company has told you?

The whole procedure of importing a vehicle looks like a minefield and I'm seriously wondering whether it's worth the aggro to ship my bike - may leave hubby to sort out his 3 himself!
right, well thus far i have been quoted £1,500 for shipping but add to that 10% value and then you add another 10% of value plus associated costs (i think thats right). i might be able to get away with 5% value as its a 4 wheel drive but its hardly what id call an offroad vehicle - its a sporty golf??!!

oh and you have to have vehicle steam cleaned in UK also.

is it all worth it???!!!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rooksie
right, well thus far i have been quoted £1,500 for shipping but add to that 10% value and then you add another 10% of value plus associated costs (i think thats right). i might be able to get away with 5% value as its a 4 wheel drive but its hardly what id call an offroad vehicle - its a sporty golf??!!

oh and you have to have vehicle steam cleaned in UK also.

is it all worth it???!!!
In general it is not worth shipping relatively modern cars to Oz due to the shipping and customs cost. Also consider cost of making them Oz road legal, you are also likely to pay higher insurance and probably higher servicing costs and may find it slightly harder to sell on afterwards as it is a european import.

However if you have some vintage/classic car that is of great sentimental value then it might make sense.

While the second hand car market in Oz is very strong (i.e. cars don't plummet in value over the first 3 years of ownership as they do in the UK) it might mean having to spend a bit more on a 2nd hand car then you would in the UK. Also this means that depending on your budget it may make more sense to pay that little extra and go for a new car, really depends on what you are after.

Things like air-conditioning are much more useful in Oz, so older cars may not have this or they may need re-gassing, something else to consider.

check out www.discountnewcars.com.au to get an idea of new car prices, soem cars e.g. Ford Fiesta, VW Golf seem cheaper in Oz than in the UK, while others such as Audi/BMW/Merc generally seem more expensive. Really depends on the sort of car you are after.

hth

Alex
Old Mar 9th 2005, 11:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Alex Hall
In general it is not worth shipping relatively modern cars to Oz due to the shipping and customs cost. Also consider cost of making them Oz road legal, you are also likely to pay higher insurance and probably higher servicing costs and may find it slightly harder to sell on afterwards as it is a european import.

However if you have some vintage/classic car that is of great sentimental value then it might make sense.

While the second hand car market in Oz is very strong (i.e. cars don't plummet in value over the first 3 years of ownership as they do in the UK) it might mean having to spend a bit more on a 2nd hand car then you would in the UK. Also this means that depending on your budget it may make more sense to pay that little extra and go for a new car, really depends on what you are after.

Things like air-conditioning are much more useful in Oz, so older cars may not have this or they may need re-gassing, something else to consider.

check out www.discountnewcars.com.au to get an idea of new car prices, soem cars e.g. Ford Fiesta, VW Golf seem cheaper in Oz than in the UK, while others such as Audi/BMW/Merc generally seem more expensive. Really depends on the sort of car you are after.

hth

Alex

i cant bear it *SOB*
Old Mar 9th 2005, 11:25 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Have a look on this thread...

http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/s...ght=car+import
Old Mar 9th 2005, 11:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Stormz
thanks for that - i have looked various places now and they all seem to point inthe same direction i.e. i am looking at a total figure in the region of £4,500 to include shipping and taxes payable. i already have air con as my car is 2001. sob sob sob. dont think my husband will go for it somehow. s**t.

try this site :

http://www.karmanshipping.co.uk/aust...australia.html

and click on "is it worthwhile shipping your car"

boo hoo hoooooo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.