Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did anyone sell everything..

Did anyone sell everything..

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:46 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did anyone sell everything..

Sorry I dis agree , I am bringing Fupping tons and here is why

It already been mentioned the little things you think you will need will start to add up. Plus I like my
couchs,
table + chairs
toasters kettle etc,
beds, wardrobes , dressers , office table
Computers , extra clothes , Photographs ,
Book collection, TV, everything

Basically I have all this stuff and if any is coming its all coming might as well as my thinking is I can afford to ship it and don't want to have a to keep forking out for stuff i gave away a few weeks ago.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 7:08 am

Nat12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zambia
Sorry I dis agree , I am bringing Fupping tons and here is why

It already been mentioned the little things you think you will need will start to add up. Plus I like my
couchs,
table + chairs
toasters kettle etc,
beds, wardrobes , dressers , office table
Computers , extra clothes , Photographs ,
Book collection, TV, everything

Basically I have all this stuff and if any is coming its all coming might as well as my thinking is I can afford to ship it and don't want to have a to keep forking out for stuff i gave away a few weeks ago.
Good point.
As we are staying with inlaws first off we wont be needing stuff yet and I like the idea of having all new lol.
I know what you are saying when you say if you ship some you may as well do the rest thats why we didnt start doing it plus obviously the cost so we are just going to cram our suitcases full and hope for the best!!
We have somebody lined up to buy our Tv its just stuff like washing machine, fridge freezer etc that will be difficult as need to use them until last minute almost wont I. Well ok not the washing machine as can borrow mums but the fridge for definete so that might be tricky.. what did other people do with regards to that????
Old Sep 24th 2008, 7:25 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nat12
Good point.
As we are staying with inlaws first off we wont be needing stuff yet and I like the idea of having all new lol.
I know what you are saying when you say if you ship some you may as well do the rest thats why we didnt start doing it plus obviously the cost so we are just going to cram our suitcases full and hope for the best!!
We have somebody lined up to buy our Tv its just stuff like washing machine, fridge freezer etc that will be difficult as need to use them until last minute almost wont I. Well ok not the washing machine as can borrow mums but the fridge for definete so that might be tricky.. what did other people do with regards to that????

Fridge and washing machine stay with the house as its being rented. are you selling or renting it? Or are you just moving out of a rented house?
Old Sep 24th 2008, 7:33 am

We are only renting our house so all our stuff needs to go
Old Sep 24th 2008, 7:36 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nat12
and then come over to Australia with nothing??
Just curious as to who else is as mad as us lol.
We are literally taking a suitcase each (hubby, son and me) his car seat and buggy and thats it.
We are gradually selling things bit by bit here as we are going end of Oct, I think my son is getting a bit confused as to where all our stuff is going...
Our dog also went yesterday too which I am devastated about but there was just no way we could afford to take him it would have been £2000 plus vet vees, quarantine etc.
I was just wondering if anyone was doing the same as us??
We also have family to stay with when we get over there luckily as they are already residents.
Came here with a guitar, mobile, laptop, multi plug adaptor and a few items of clothing. Homeless and unemployed. And we didn't have the proceeds of a house with us either...only about $8,000 I think.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 7:55 am

Sounds like us minus the money lol.
We are literally going out skint. Our stuff we are selling is going back to the inlaws to pay for our tickets!
Old May 14th 2009, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

teppic is just really niceteppic is just really niceteppic is just really niceteppic is just really niceteppic is just really niceteppic is just really niceteppic is just really niceteppic is just really nice

I wanted co come over with a Fishing rod and a can of bug spray

Strangely My OH overrulled that particular pipe deam...
Old May 14th 2009, 4:18 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
your son's car seat is not legal in au sorry

friends of mine came over with nothing - and doing well now

is there no one who can look after a little of your stuff and then send it over later - i know i would miss some of my things if i had not brought them with me - things that i can not replace for example my boats that i brought on holiday in hong kong 8 yrs ago - my grand fathers mantle clock my childrens hand prints as babies

i do understand what its like to leave behind a pet we left hitchcock our cat as we thought it would be too stressfull bringing her over - she got stressed and lost control of her bladder and bowels just going to the vets 5 mins down the rd

tiff aka hitchcock
'your son's car seat is not legal ' ... it will still work and keep your child safe though . We took our UK car seat, used it on the plane and then used it in the car in Oz, until our daughter grew out of it. We didn't have any problems. Otherwise you're looking at $300 for a good new one, seems pointless to chuck the UK one away.
Old May 14th 2009, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

ISOFIX isn't that new in the UK. My old 93 BMW had it as does my current onle. I will be bringing my car seat to Oz. It just cost me £300 so I ain't replacing it!
Old May 14th 2009, 11:07 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Just my 2c:

Do not underestimate the things you think you will no longer need, from washing line pegs to polishing cloths, cutlery, pots and pans, glasses and mugs etc, even down to basic cleaning liquids.

White goods are an individual choice, bargains can be had here if you're willing to barter and in these money-challenged times it's never been a better time to not pay the ticket price.

Do what you think is right by you, but be warned, it'll cost you a small fortune just to replace the most insignificant of things that you thought you could live without.
Old May 14th 2009, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we did came over with 3 suitcases and about $3500,partner did have a job to come to but we knew noone and nothing.(we got help from his boss when arriving just to sort out medicare/rental.
It paid off thank god and we are here 3 years later we are finally bringing over things that we left behind this year some time and i cannot wait! I viewed it like this was a new start and a new life and i wanted to leave my old life behind and to be honest i am not to bothered about material things anyway qualilty of life means more! this is just me though. plus if it did not work out we would of had to ship all your stuff back again! something we could not afford to do.

Last edited by LINZI; May 14th 2009 at 11:15 pm.
Old May 15th 2009, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Yup sold the house & all the contents before while waiting on visa decision on the basis I was going to get it.
Got the visa, departure delayed due to unforseen circumstances.
Now looks like I may not make it at all.

Still at least house prices are on the slide in the UK!?
Old May 15th 2009, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

I came over in 2007 with 2 kids and 6 suitcases. Couple boxes of the ole personal items like photo albums but everything else was sold or given away. had 2 weeks accomodation booked at caravan park but found rental and job within 72 hours. House sale had fallen through week before we left so came with one credit card and praying the new buyer wouldnt let me down. It was very tight but all worked out well
Now living in house i bought in Aug last year with new furniture.
Old May 15th 2009, 6:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
'your son's car seat is not legal ' ... it will still work and keep your child safe though . We took our UK car seat, used it on the plane and then used it in the car in Oz, until our daughter grew out of it. We didn't have any problems. Otherwise you're looking at $300 for a good new one, seems pointless to chuck the UK one away.
Nothing like using a hairdryer. It's the chair your child is harnessed to. It's not legal, it's not worth using in my opinion and in the event of an accident, the insurance company won't be impressed either.

However, do as you feel.
Old May 15th 2009, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Nothing like using a hairdryer. It's the chair your child is harnessed to. It's not legal, it's not worth using in my opinion and in the event of an accident, the insurance company won't be impressed either.

However, do as you feel.
i am sure i read on here that it was not legal for uk car seats to be used in au as they are not au approved

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.