Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:03 pm
  #46  
Living the dream
 
tawkins1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: The Vines WA
Posts: 1,441
tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

Originally Posted by jonni boy View Post
yep we did and now were heading back in about another 12 weeks
Hope it all works out for you this time. Why did you leave Oz? If you don't mind me asking
tawkins1 is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:23 pm
  #47  
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 23,400
Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

Originally Posted by jonni boy View Post
yep we did and now were heading back in about another 12 weeks
OMG what have I missed, I didn't know you ping ponged Jonni?
Cheetah7 is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:55 pm
  #48  
sunny coast
 
jonni boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,514
jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

Originally Posted by tawkins1 View Post
Hope it all works out for you this time. Why did you leave Oz? If you don't mind me asking
i think we expected to much to soon to be honest
there aren't the jobs on tap that there might of been a few years back.
house prices are crazy in relation to wages and as odd as it might sound the slower way of life was a bit of a shock but then we had a few family problems (in the UK) out of the blue that just seem to compound everything.
we now realise what a mistake we made coming back and i think it will make us appreciate australia a hell of a lot more.
jonni boy is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:01 pm
  #49  
sunny coast
 
jonni boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,514
jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

Originally Posted by Professional Princess View Post
OMG what have I missed, I didn't know you ping ponged Jonni?
unfortunately we did and now we can't wait to get back
jonni boy is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:14 pm
  #50  
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 23,400
Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

Originally Posted by jonni boy View Post
unfortunately we did and now we can't wait to get back
Bloody hell Jonni, you have been through it.

Which bit will you go back to?
Cheetah7 is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:31 pm
  #51  
sunny coast
 
jonni boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,514
jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

Originally Posted by Professional Princess View Post
Bloody hell Jonni, you have been through it.

Which bit will you go back to?
back to the sunshine coast. our girls settled in really well at mountain creek school so were hoping to find a rental in mountain creek or buderim for the school zone but there few and far between to be honest.
i've got my old job back when we land which is a start
jonni boy is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:34 pm
  #52  
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 23,400
Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

Originally Posted by jonni boy View Post
back to the sunshine coast. our girls settled in really well at mountain creek school so were hoping to find a rental in mountain creek or buderim for the school zone but there few and far between to be honest.
i've got my old job back when we land which is a start
Brilliant Jonni, hope it all goes well for you.

We never did get to meet for a beer.
Cheetah7 is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2008, 5:17 pm
  #53  
BE Forum Addict
 
Jan4kids's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Hertfordshire - Adelaide - now Gold Coast.
Posts: 1,156
Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

I have been so homesick it physically hurt, I have cried so hard for all things familiar that were (supposedly )lost, that I realised just how attached I was to my place of birth....I was so bad that my Husband had to hide my Passport

I have grown so much as a person through the huge highs and dark lonely lows...I have also aged, it hasn't been an easy journey.

From my relatively short emigration journey(nearly 4 years) I have learnt that for meit takes around the two year mark to feel anywhere like settled/at home, two years to drive someplace without referring to the street directory, two years to know where to 'pop' for that unusual bit of shopping, two years to make your mark on the house you reside in, two years to call in on neighbours unannounced, two years to have a least 1 friend who will hug you and listen to your woes as their own whilst you cried.....

I understand completely (we moved Interstate too) but I think it would be wise to give it a bit longer......You just don't realise how b***dy tough it is until your actually doing it....however good your imagination

Jan :0)
Jan4kids is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:36 am
  #54  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Was the Gold Coast now Bolton, Manchester
Posts: 179
lisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nice
Default Re: did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

Yeah it is tough for many and i question why we do it to ourselves. We make life more difficult, complicated and stressful all in the pursuit of happiness. Some will get through it and be ultimately more happy than before but what if that doesn't happen?

When we applied for the visas a good few years back houses were half the price, cost of living was much cheaper than the UK so lesser wages wasn't important. Now food is on a par with the Uk, a lot of stuff is dearer because there isn't the choice to buy elsewhere in cheaper shops. Houses are too expensive and double what they were when we embarked on the whole process of coming here. Second hand cars are really expensive too. Our original plan was to move here with money in the bank, keep the house at home as an investment as we have no pensions. Buy here with savings as a deposit and be better off all round. We still have house in UK but there is no way we can buy here even if we sold up there, as we would be so much worse off. We have an 80K mortgage in UK at a 5% interest rate because we bought before the prices sky rocketed. Over here we would easily have a 175K mortgage on a 9% interest rate which equates to us being so much more worse off and I don't know if it's worth it any more. Life was never that bad at home to begin with we earned decent money and had plenty of hols to far off places. If we do go back we'd be financially much better off, would have much more choice with everything from food to internet to phone etc as the competition makes it a much better place for the consumer, which is something australia hasn't got.

Admittedly Oz has the weather and the lifestyle but if you've got less money to enjoy it what's the point. It also depends what you left behind and where you came from. For some they are better off financially and in terms of lifestyle and i'm glad for them it's working out. However for others they are finding themselves worse off and i know money can't buy happiness but it goes a long way to helping.

We could always retire to Spain or somewhere else in Europe if we go back and get sick of the UK. Spain still has the weather, I'm sure the lifestyle is good and it's close to the UK. I could go back for the weekend and not be jet lagged. If not I suppose I'll end up becoming a ping ponger like many others before me.
lisas is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:37 am
  #55  
BE Enthusiast
 
Mally Lass's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: ..not on the boat I missed !
Posts: 587
Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

Originally Posted by zerohero View Post
Like all your other comments on this thread you fail to provide any evidence/examples for your views and have so far been proved wrong on every one.Once again I shall ask - give examples of British culture which existed 30 years ago but no longer do.
Errr Been proved wrong ???

Provide evidence ?? of what ?? that I know what Country I am living in and experiencing every day...... get over yourself

I have opinions, as everyone else, including you, I don't need to provide evidence of my opinions
Mally Lass is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2008, 4:26 am
  #56  
Victorian Evangelist
 
Buzzy--Bee's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne, by the beach, living the dream.
Posts: 7,701
Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

Please don't make me close the thread. Please discuss sensibly without insulting or confronting others.

Thanks

Mod.
Buzzy--Bee is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2008, 4:37 am
  #57  
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,225
Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

I almost went home after the first day in NZ and I would NOT have regretted it one iota. The only real good that came out staying was that it enabled us to make the move over to Oz a few years later.

There's an old adage that says you make up your mind within 21 days of starting a new job if you're going to stay in it or not, even if it takes you a year or so to leave you eventually will. I think the same applies to a country.

I've been here 6 months now and have never, even for a brief second felt it wasn't right and we wouldn't want to stay here as long as possible.

Sometimes you just know when things are right and when they're not and you just have to go with your gut instincts, staying to see how it works out just prolongs the agony.

Know when the time to leave has come and do exactly that .

Now I'm off to enjoy my life.
Nerine is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:49 am
  #58  
Living the dream
 
tawkins1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: The Vines WA
Posts: 1,441
tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

Originally Posted by lisas View Post
Yeah it is tough for many and i question why we do it to ourselves. We make life more difficult, complicated and stressful all in the pursuit of happiness. Some will get through it and be ultimately more happy than before but what if that doesn't happen?

When we applied for the visas a good few years back houses were half the price, cost of living was much cheaper than the UK so lesser wages wasn't important. Now food is on a par with the Uk, a lot of stuff is dearer because there isn't the choice to buy elsewhere in cheaper shops. Houses are too expensive and double what they were when we embarked on the whole process of coming here. Second hand cars are really expensive too. Our original plan was to move here with money in the bank, keep the house at home as an investment as we have no pensions. Buy here with savings as a deposit and be better off all round. We still have house in UK but there is no way we can buy here even if we sold up there, as we would be so much worse off. We have an 80K mortgage in UK at a 5% interest rate because we bought before the prices sky rocketed. Over here we would easily have a 175K mortgage on a 9% interest rate which equates to us being so much more worse off and I don't know if it's worth it any more. Life was never that bad at home to begin with we earned decent money and had plenty of hols to far off places. If we do go back we'd be financially much better off, would have much more choice with everything from food to internet to phone etc as the competition makes it a much better place for the consumer, which is something australia hasn't got.

Admittedly Oz has the weather and the lifestyle but if you've got less money to enjoy it what's the point. It also depends what you left behind and where you came from. For some they are better off financially and in terms of lifestyle and i'm glad for them it's working out. However for others they are finding themselves worse off and i know money can't buy happiness but it goes a long way to helping.

We could always retire to Spain or somewhere else in Europe if we go back and get sick of the UK. Spain still has the weather, I'm sure the lifestyle is good and it's close to the UK. I could go back for the weekend and not be jet lagged. If not I suppose I'll end up becoming a ping ponger like many others before me.

I think you've already made your mind up
Good luck with whatever you decide to do
tawkins1 is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2008, 10:39 am
  #59  
BE Forum Addict
 
memewest's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: A Small Village in Somerset.......out in the sticks
Posts: 1,476
memewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

Originally Posted by Mally Lass View Post

1) The Met office aren't situated in Devon, I AM, and we DID NOT have a heatwave in February, they said the SOUTH WEST, which although Devon is part of, it's also very large, and we can have rain in one area and glorious sunshine a mere 2 miles away, so hardly reliable ............jeez, get over it already
Hi Mally.....what part of Devon are you in??
We're just inside the Somerset Border, by 1.5miles, about 25miles from Exeter...

Now correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't the Met Office move their offices to Exeter a few years ago.....?? am sure that was why we moved here, cause we couldn't afford anywhere nr Tiverton as Met Office Employee's were buying up the houses there as Tiverton is approx 5miles from the M5/13miles from Exeter....Ideal for getting to work...
Also, my MIL & FIL went to Oz Feb this year and we were dog sitting, and i know that in this part of the South West, we DEFINATELY had a heatwave.... was fantastic weather....and when the inlaws got back, they informed us that they had had loads of rain in NSW and that we had had better weather than they had..

You talk of the countryside, and we live in the country, edge of Exmoor, and it's beautiful...yes it smells when the farmers muck spread, etc etc, and?? thats part and parcel of country living....the sheep in the field behind our house are really noisy, especially when they take the lambs away, so we just shut the windows if we don't wanna hear it, but the amount of grockles i see (on the way home after doing the weekly shop) who stop on the side of the road to take photo's of the lambs in the fields are priceless......


For Everything Else.......There's Mastercard!!
shall be abusing that tomorrow for our Visa fee's...
memewest is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2008, 10:52 pm
  #60  
BE Enthusiast
 
Mally Lass's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: ..not on the boat I missed !
Posts: 587
Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

Originally Posted by memewest View Post
Hi Mally.....what part of Devon are you in??
We're just inside the Somerset Border, by 1.5miles, about 25miles from Exeter...

Now correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't the Met Office move their offices to Exeter a few years ago.....?? am sure that was why we moved here, cause we couldn't afford anywhere nr Tiverton as Met Office Employee's were buying up the houses there as Tiverton is approx 5miles from the M5/13miles from Exeter....Ideal for getting to work...
Also, my MIL & FIL went to Oz Feb this year and we were dog sitting, and i know that in this part of the South West, we DEFINATELY had a heatwave.... was fantastic weather....and when the inlaws got back, they informed us that they had had loads of rain in NSW and that we had had better weather than they had..

You talk of the countryside, and we live in the country, edge of Exmoor, and it's beautiful...yes it smells when the farmers muck spread, etc etc, and?? thats part and parcel of country living....the sheep in the field behind our house are really noisy, especially when they take the lambs away, so we just shut the windows if we don't wanna hear it, but the amount of grockles i see (on the way home after doing the weekly shop) who stop on the side of the road to take photo's of the lambs in the fields are priceless......


For Everything Else.......There's Mastercard!!
shall be abusing that tomorrow for our Visa fee's...
Yes the met office moved to Exeter, like I said weather can be changable within a mile (the rain has to stop somewhere !) We had rain yesterday, my SIL (2 miles away) had a thunderstorm and Hailstones !

I'm in a very small village, near Oakhampton, and no we didn't have a heatwave in February, March or this month !
Mally Lass is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.