Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

Originally Posted by Grayling
Bollocks
where ????
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:05 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mally Lass
where ????

In someone's head by the looks of it.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

zerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by laguna33p
An immigrant coming to britain believing this website will be very disappointed. The british just have to accept the britain is on it's way to becoming a 3rd world country, even places like india have better lifestyles.
I spent 13 months in India-a fascinating country but who is it exactly who has a better lifestyle? The hundreds of millions living in abject poverty? Or the super rich? Or the millions in between? If you earn the average wage in Britain your life in most respects will be far better than in India.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:10 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zerohero
I spent 13 months in India-a fascinating country but who is it exactly who has a better lifestyle? The hundreds of millions living in abject poverty? Or the super rich? Or the millions in between? If you earn the average wage in Britain your life in most respects will be far better than in India.
Not if you are a disaffected loser though
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

zerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grayling
Not if you are a disaffected loser though
Very true
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

That Website talks of a British Culture that existed in the 60's/70's/80's and Before that ! It's no longer like that and we no longer have a culture............ if we do, please direct me to it !

It also speaks of a Heatwave we had back in February THIS YEAR !!!! What microscopic pocket of the UK did THAT happen in, or was I asleep ????

It also talks heavily of the lovely green Countryside !! Just like Australia (accoreding to the site) that's great for a holiday, but believe me, 'having' to drive through country lanes reversing for the 'yokals' every five minutes, ruining your vehicle, always driving through sheep shit or cow shit, following herds of very slow cattle to get to your destination, having your car sprayed almost daily with tractor remnants, and basic living in the Countryside is really no fun at all !! It's great on holiday and a novelty, but novelties soon wear off !

Apart from that, the site gives no positives to the UK other than talking of what Britain has given to the world in the way of Cricket players and Scientists etc, which every Country can do !!

I think this proves the point about negativity.Not "every country" does invent sports like football,cricket,rugby etc.What world sports did Germany,Russia,Spain or France create?
The negative comments about the UK countryside could be applied to Oz with references to 'dust,drought,creepy insects'.
I guess some people will forever see the negatives of wherever they are.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I think this proves the point about negativity.Not "every country" does invent sports like football,cricket,rugby etc.What world sports did Germany,Russia,Spain or France create?
The negative comments about the UK countryside could be applied to Oz with references to 'dust,drought,creepy insects'.
I guess some people will forever see the negatives of wherever they are.
I agree. My point was that the site is full of dream rubbish. The same can be said for anywhere, but the site itself was innacurate regards a few things, and the author obviously hasn't experienced a lot of it truly, to believe they live in a UK that they are talking about !

If someone put up a site that had 'Real' positives about the UK that were relative to everyday people living here, that actually affected us and were a part of UK culture I would have no problem saying, well done, but the site is full of facts that have no affect on us or is untrue !

For those of us who couldnt care less about cricket and football, who cares who invented it, and does it matter, and does it affect the sport in any way ? No

Did we have a heatwave in February ? Not in Devon we didnt !

What culture do we have ? I really would like to know to answer to this one apart from Football hooligans and Lager louts !
Old Apr 26th 2008, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

joe38 will become famous soon enoughjoe38 will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

we came back to the uk after 5 months we totally regret what we did ,we should of stayed and tried harder,we was on the gold coast which was an amazing place to be,the job situation was not so good there,but we looking to try again not sure when ,but who knows?
Old Apr 27th 2008, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

mollymoo will become famous soon enoughmollymoo will become famous soon enough

6mths doesn't seem very long after all the effort to get here, but if you are unhappy, several months must seem like years.
It may be worth moving inter state first, before going back to the UK.

I may be wrong, but I thought citizenship required 4 years of living in Australia now?

Good luck whatever you decide....life is too short to be unhappy
Old Apr 27th 2008, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

lisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nice

We qualify for the 2yr rule because of when we validated the visa. Moving to Melbourne was a serious option to see if we could settle there more easily than we have on the GC rather than returning to the UK. However, having looked at our bank balance we now feel that we can't really afford to make the move there at the moment.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Mepy is just really niceMepy is just really niceMepy is just really niceMepy is just really niceMepy is just really niceMepy is just really niceMepy is just really niceMepy is just really niceMepy is just really nice

[QUOTE=lisas;6268398]We are so confused as we have been here for over 6 mths and cannot decide whether to go home or not.

We live on the G.C and think that maybe a move to Melbourne would be more to our liking....]

The honeymoon period is over, after that regret sets in.... But you need to give it at least two years. I've been here 2 1/2 and only now getting back on the upward trend. Re Melbourne, we've moved from the SC to Melbourne two months ago and I can thoroughly recommend it, a great city, very muliticultural in a good way, loads of free events, beautiful old buildings, lovely countryside, and a sense of history and community that I found completly absent on the SC. Getting settled in a job, house, meeting neighbours and making new friends goes a long way towards feeling settled, but it takes time....
Good luck.
Mepy
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

I would definately stop with the negative thoughts regarding OZ if you really want to settle. We are our own worst enemy with our thoughts, you cannot expect to feel at home and be truley and utterly happy in 6 mths, Ive said this before - you need time to feel settled and put down roots, of course its normal to feel rather like a fish out of water or an alien,,, but try to throw yourself into a routine, making mates, and having some fun. You really dont have to torture yourself like this! (yes I came bk to UK) but we want to return, and with each day were bk in the UK its harder to return!

I really feel for you as the unhappiness is so strong when your pining for your old life..you just have to accept you`ve moved on and are embracing your new life in OZ.

IMO the OZ gov loose so many immigrants due to ppl getting homesickness, I really think there should be ppl in place to help us, so as we have someone to talk to and share our feelings, as most immigrants dont want to listen to the ones who are struggling to settle (this was my perception whilst in OZ)

Good luck and give it your best shot

Bluekipper
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

ukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by laguna33p
An immigrant coming to britain believing this website will be very disappointed. The british just have to accept the britain is on it's way to becoming a 3rd world country, even places like india have better lifestyles.
What a complete load of Bollocks
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:37 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Why are some British people so naturally negative and pessimistic about their own country? I have seen statements like these from people back in the 1970s (the "good old days" according to some).Things aren't so bad - check this out:
http://www.goodthingsaboutbritain.co.uk/

Cheer up!
That is, without doubt, the most hilariously bad website I've ever had the misfortune to visit. Leaving aside the site design, which appears to have been created by Stevie Wonder, it's like some six year old's essay on what they did in the summer holidays. Above all, however, that site is not in any way about the 'good things about Britain', it's a load of illiterate horseshit from a bunch of disaffected ex-expats.

Originally Posted by bluekipper
I would...
Can I just stop you there. Why do you have to post everything in bold? Do you think you're more important than us mere mortals who get by with plain text? It's really, really, really, irritating. You seem like a nice enough bloke and all, but sheeesh ...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

What culture do we have ? I really would like to know to answer to this one apart from Football hooligans and Lager louts !
To be honest I don't understand this attitude.Name one aspect of British culture that existed 30 years ago but has now vanished.
Lager louts have always existed and traditional pubs serving ploughmans lunch still do.There are still plenty of fish & chip shops and more traditional foods than ever like Melton Mowbray pork pies have received formal EU protected status(similar to copyright).Morris Dancers and bagpipe players appear at village festivals every year.
Some people are only happy being negative.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.