Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all
Default Re: did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

Bluekipper
Old Apr 27th 2008, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hutch
That is, without doubt, the most hilariously bad website I've ever had the misfortune to visit. Leaving aside the site design, which appears to have been created by Stevie Wonder, it's like some six year old's essay on what they did in the summer holidays. Above all, however, that site is not in any way about the 'good things about Britain', it's a load of illiterate horseshit from a bunch of disaffected ex-expats.

Can I just stop you there. Why do you have to post everything in bold? Do you think you're more important than us mere mortals who get by with plain text? It's really, really, really, irritating. You seem like a nice enough bloke and all, but sheeesh ...

GET OVER YOUSELF
Old Apr 27th 2008, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

zerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mally Lass
I agree. My point was that the site is full of dream rubbish.
...but the site is full of facts that have no affect on us or is untrue !

Did we have a heatwave in February ? Not in Devon we didnt !
This might help you be less negative and confused:

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/news/2007-february.html

Old Apr 27th 2008, 12:54 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

A work collegue of mine has just returned from Oz. She moved out there in July last year & by Sept she had booked her flights home for this Feb
She's now trying to get back into the job she left behind
What was the point of going??????
She only gave it 3 months b4 the flights were booked & admits herself now she didn't give it time. She's been home 8 weeks & is already moaning about the weather
Old Apr 27th 2008, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all
Smile Re: did anyone go home after 6 mths and now regret it.

I know you said you may never want to return, but it could be an oportunity for you all to get your Aussie citizenship for your children who may wish to return later. I know it's easy for me to say, but you've already been here 6 months which is 1/4 of your citizenship requirement. As others have said, don't make a hasty decision. Is it possible for any of your family to come and visit you for an extended period of time to make the homesickness easier?
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zerohero
This might help you be less negative and confused:

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/news/2007-february.html

OK :

1) The Met office aren't situated in Devon, I AM, and we DID NOT have a heatwave in February, they said the SOUTH WEST, which although Devon is part of, it's also very large, and we can have rain in one area and glorious sunshine a mere 2 miles away, so hardly reliable ............jeez, get over it already

2) I'm not confused about anything thank you.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zerohero
To be honest I don't understand this attitude.Name one aspect of British culture that existed 30 years ago but has now vanished.
Lager louts have always existed and traditional pubs serving ploughmans lunch still do.There are still plenty of fish & chip shops and more traditional foods than ever like Melton Mowbray pork pies have received formal EU protected status(similar to copyright).Morris Dancers and bagpipe players appear at village festivals every year.
Some people are only happy being negative.
Nope. I've lived all over the UK and in Australia, and I'm happy being realistic..........if that's negative about the UK, so be it

Morris Dancers and Bagpipes Yes they appear annually at every village show/fete don't they ? Can't even remember the last time we had good enough weather for a village show !

OK, what about English culture ? Where is that ?
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

lisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nice

Hi

This question is to Tawkins1, does your friend complain just about the weather or also that she made the wrong decision to come back, i know you say she says she didnt give it enough time and maybe a month is a little premature however if she just complains about the weather then thats just natural, i have just come back after spending 2 weeks in the U.K. and we had all the four seasons in that time. I still feel that i don't like the weather but it doesn't stop me from possibly wanting to move back.

I have just had breakfast on Burleigh beach over looking a fabulous sunrise and temperatures near 70 degrees and i realize that this is fantastic but not everything. I could have however woke up in Melbourne this morning to 12 degrees and rain. Australia to me seems to have come just at the wrong time in my life and seems to far away from all that is familiar.
I would be interested to know if your friend feels she has made the right choice.

Lisa
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

ROSEBABE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisas
We are so confused as we have been here for over 6 mths and cannot decide whether to go home or not.

We live on the G.C and think that maybe a move to Melbourne would be more to our liking. However it's going to cost quite a bit of money (that we don't really have) which in turn is making us think that when we get to Melbourne we may not be happy there either and will have spent all that money moving and having to start from scratch again, not knowing areas and no rental (we all know how hard it is to get one of those).

I know it's a personal decision and i have asked similar before but has anyone else packed up and gone back home after 6 mths and either regretted it or realized that OZ wasn't for them and are happier back in Blighty.

We were advised by quite a few people over here to go back to the UK for a couple of weeks as they have seen so many people yoyo back and forth with all their belongings that they advised going back for a holiday would probably sway us one way or another. Having just come back from 10 days in the UK we have realized that Blighty wasn't really that bad and the only thing that bothered us was the rubbish weather. In just 6 months away from home things have changed as there are more Europeans from places such as Poland yet even this didn't bother us as it made us realise what a culturally diverse and tolerant place the UK is. It would be so easy to settle back into life at home, but on the other hand we don't want to throw away an opportunity that we know a lot of people would give their right arm for. We know australia has the lifestyle and the weather and that there are far worse places to live. We also know that perhaps we haven't been here long enough to settle in but when you have doubts it is hard to give it your all. Also the fact that for us we are worse off here and that it seems more expensive than the UK and has far less choice is disconcerting.

I think we are scared of missing out. We would probably go home but know that if we stay two years we can get a passport and keep our options open as who knows how we'll feel in 10 years time. If we went home we may have kids then regret that we've blown our chance and may wish we had stayed as the outdoor lifestyle offers more for kids than the UK. However if we are unhappy now, how likely is it that after 2 years we will stay longer or go home and ever use aussie citizenship again?

I guess we truly are whinging poms, but I guess for some it is easier to settle than others.

We would like to hear from anyone who has been in a similar position to us and would like to hear how they handled their situation.
hi, my husband and i emigrated in 1995 to oz, after 6 mths we popped home for a 12 day holiday, then after another 6 mths back in oz we sold all our furniture(in our rented house) and went to live back in wales uk. after another 8 mths in the uk we returned to a different part of oz. everything was great until i fell pregnant,when i was 31wks preg we flew home as i wanted my son born in wales. anyway when he was 2mths old (still in wales) i applied for his visa to return, (he was born may 98 and we had til the jan 99 to return. we never did, felt too quilty taking him from my family. we had our daughter in oct 99. anyway it took me about 5 years to get oz out of my system, our visas ran out, we have been back in wales since 1998. last feb 07 my husband talked about returning, he had never been the one who wanted to leave oz but i worked on him and got my own way to come back to wales, well we applied last aug07 for new visas, they were granted april 08 and we r returning, i dont regret the years my children have had here with family and friends but i do really wish i had stuck it out longer in oz, i wouldnt buy out there as i was homesick and not ready, if i had made roots then may be i wouldnt be going through all this hassle now of leaving all over again, i am going to do things alot different this time. really try hard, this country here has gone down hill so much in the 10 yrs i have been back, i know you might think that you have everything out in oz but it means nothing without family and friends, that is sort of true and thats what made me come home, but your children or future children if you havent got any yet really are your future and u r pineing for your past in the uk, live for the future in oz and not the past in the uk. thats where i went wrong. u do really have to give it longer, also if you r in touch with everyone in the uk quite alot simmer it down abit and start enjoying what you have there, my mum rang me in oz nearly every 2 days, i felt terrible, really homesick, i felt the ozzies didnt care, half of the australians have never left oz never lone emigrate. really try and stick it out, we were entitled to the citzensonship as we had done over 2years there, how i regret not getting that i can tell you. anyway good luck, keep strong and write down all the reasons why you left the uk in the first place. thanks for reading this.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROSEBABE
. . but your children or future children if you havent got any yet really are your future and u r pineing for your past in the uk, live for the future in oz and not the past in the uk . .
Never a truer word better spoken.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ROSEBABE
u r pineing for your past in the uk, live for the future
Such a good quote and something a lot of people should think about

You can't get the past back !
Old Apr 28th 2008, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

zerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mally Lass
Nope. I've lived all over the UK and in Australia, and I'm happy being realistic..........if that's negative about the UK, so be it

Morris Dancers and Bagpipes Yes they appear annually at every village show/fete don't they ? Can't even remember the last time we had good enough weather for a village show !

OK, what about English culture ? Where is that ?
Like all your other comments on this thread you fail to provide any evidence/examples for your views and have so far been proved wrong on every one.Once again I shall ask - give examples of British culture which existed 30 years ago but no longer do.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

Brass band contest in Saddleworth and Whit walks a wonderful tradition happens every year no matter what the weather been around over a hundred years. Didnt appreciate what I had at the time.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:55 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lisas
Hi

This question is to Tawkins1, does your friend complain just about the weather or also that she made the wrong decision to come back, i know you say she says she didnt give it enough time and maybe a month is a little premature however if she just complains about the weather then thats just natural, i have just come back after spending 2 weeks in the U.K. and we had all the four seasons in that time. I still feel that i don't like the weather but it doesn't stop me from possibly wanting to move back.

I have just had breakfast on Burleigh beach over looking a fabulous sunrise and temperatures near 70 degrees and i realize that this is fantastic but not everything. I could have however woke up in Melbourne this morning to 12 degrees and rain. Australia to me seems to have come just at the wrong time in my life and seems to far away from all that is familiar.
I would be interested to know if your friend feels she has made the right choice.

Lisa
I'm not sure she thinks she's done the wrong thing just yet as she's only been back 7 weeks! She herself says didn't give it long enough but that the homesickness was so hard for her to deal with.
She has said finding a house back here in the UK is tough as they are all so small here compared to Oz. She wants her old job back here cos as she says "it pays the bills!" but doesn't enjoy it
They had never been to Oz b4 migrating so I think it was a bit of a shock when they arrived. They thought the cost of living was far too expensive & found it hard to manage. She has said if they didn't have to work full time to pay the bills she may have stuck it out a bit longer as the kids loved it there but they missed home too.
Saying that she is now gonna have to work full time anyway to get back on the property ladder here! All their savings went on flights, rentals etc etc.....
I'm sure in the long term they will regret not sticking it out just that bit longer. I know homesickness is gonna be my biggest problem when we go but for the sake of my kids future i'll get over it (I hope!)

Last edited by tawkins1; Apr 28th 2008 at 1:00 pm. Reason: added text
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:59 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

yep we did and now were heading back in about another 12 weeks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.