Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did anybody else feel like this???

Did anybody else feel like this???

Old Jan 16th 2006, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

claire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant future
Default Did anybody else feel like this???

Hi,

We got our visas last Thursday which was fantastic and have been on a real high since then.....well until I woke up this morning that is, I woke up feeling sick and I feel like I could burst into tears for no reason.

i keep saying to myself that I am sure this is quite normal but just wanted to check that I am not going crazy!!!!

Claire
Old Jan 16th 2006, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did anybody else feel like this???

Originally Posted by claire33
Hi,

We got our visas last Thursday which was fantastic and have been on a real high since then.....well until I woke up this morning that is, I woke up feeling sick and I feel like I could burst into tears for no reason.

i keep saying to myself that I am sure this is quite normal but just wanted to check that I am not going crazy!!!!

Claire

Claire,

This is a normal feeling as now the opportunity has finally come to you and you have got the all clear and it is time to go you are starting to grieve.

What I mean by this is, it is not like a death grieve but more like a relationship break up feeling. Your mind is set for the future and a new life but part of your mind will be sad for going and you start to reminisce about your old life as you would an old relationship, even though you have not left yet.

Hope this makes sense and you are not going crazy, it is just something that you will have to go through, as the old saying goes "time is a great healer".

Enjoy your new life and try not looking over your shoulder too much, you will be fine.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Irish Bet is an unknown quantity at this point

This is spot on,,,,, I know exactly the feeling you are talking about, it is like hey this is really happening now, not jsut a dream, I know when we got our perm visa, we then had "oh well its not for 8 months till we leave" now it is reallity leaving in 4 weeks time,,,, arrrggghhhhh,

Originally Posted by Gold Coaster
Claire,

This is a normal feeling as now the opportunity has finally come to you and you have got the all clear and it is time to go you are starting to grieve.

What I mean by this is, it is not like a death grieve but more like a relationship break up feeling. Your mind is set for the future and a new life but part of your mind will be sad for going and you start to reminisce about your old life as you would an old relationship, even though you have not left yet.

Hope this makes sense and you are not going crazy, it is just something that you will have to go through, as the old saying goes "time is a great healer".

Enjoy your new life and try not looking over your shoulder too much, you will be fine.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 9:50 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

we got our visa on 19th dec and were ecstatic! we put our house up for sale and it sold within a week, that was last week! the surveyor came around last week and we exchanged solicitors details - the dvd system was sold on sunday and little by little the house is starting to look empty!! it has finally dawned on me what is happening and it kinda makes you come back down to earth with a bang, we all go through the what ifs and should i, shouldnt i etc. but through all the doubts, we are really looking forward to the adventure! and that is how we see it for now, the world is much smaller with internet and web cams etc so although the goodbyes will be awfully hard, the hellos at the other end will be worth it!
regards
vb2
Old Jan 16th 2006, 9:59 am
Just Joined

tinkerbell1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Claire

Hi, I think it is normal to feel that way, you will have so many emotions because it is such a big step. It is perfectly normal so try not to worry and you will be fine.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:14 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Claire
Ahh Claire, I wouldn't worry about it - I'm sure it's completely normal. I do it now and I'm nowhere near getting my visa yet lol

It's just pre migration jitters, you'd be crazy if you didn't experience them I'm sure.

Chin up, you've got a fantastic adventure ahead of you.

Kath
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:38 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Claire

Hi Claire,

good news is yes you are completely normal there has been a few threads similar to this lately, have a lookie and read them and you'll find lots of people who have experienced/are experiencing what you are feeling.

I compare the feeling to when i found out i was pregnant with our first child, even though we'd planned it, when the test came back positive, i was like F#$! !!!!!!! so no amount of planning for anything 'big' about to happen in your life will ever prepare you for it. What you are about to do is huge, but incredibly exciting too, you've left the rollercoaster ride for getting the visa, now you're on a new one of actually making the move You'll be fine, just remember the reasons your doing this

Good luck to you, and keep us posted
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Wait till you are boarding the plane. Everyone goes through it so don't worry you will soon see it was worth all the hassle.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:45 pm
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Claire
Hi Claire -

Its like that one day to another anyway for us - particularly after the SKills assessments came through.
We are submitting our Visa application this week and I can't imagine what the relief and emotions would be like getting the Visa.
The whole process is hard on everyone - it starts off as a dream and then to realise the dream. :scared:
Im not religous at all but i think it's the - HELL,Purgatory,Heaven process.

Hell being the UK - Purgatory being the waiting bit and Heaven being Aus

Don't beat yourself up about It - its meant to be this way.

Good Luck!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 2:40 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gold Coaster
Claire,

I couldn't have put this better myself - This is exactly how I feel about it. I can't wait for it all to begin, but there are still lingering doubts and worries that keep me asking if I'm doing the right thing.

Certainly one of the big problems for me is that my GF has decided that she isn't going to come, and wants me to wait for her to be ready in a couple of years. That all sounds great, but then my visa will have expired, and I will be pretty much reliant on her to get in then. I don't think that I'm willing to hinge so much on her! So when I go, I go and that's pretty much it I guess.

On the other hand, my folks have been so supportive, and are really looking forward to watching The Ashes in Sydney next Christmas.

Remember, you can lways come back if it doesn't wrk out, and if you don't go, then you will never know!

S
Old Jan 16th 2006, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Irish Bet is an unknown quantity at this point

spot on, good on ya for going for it, all the best

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I couldn't have put this better myself - This is exactly how I feel about it. I can't wait for it all to begin, but there are still lingering doubts and worries that keep me asking if I'm doing the right thing.

Certainly one of the big problems for me is that my GF has decided that she isn't going to come, and wants me to wait for her to be ready in a couple of years. That all sounds great, but then my visa will have expired, and I will be pretty much reliant on her to get in then. I don't think that I'm willing to hinge so much on her! So when I go, I go and that's pretty much it I guess.

On the other hand, my folks have been so supportive, and are really looking forward to watching The Ashes in Sydney next Christmas.

Remember, you can lways come back if it doesn't wrk out, and if you don't go, then you will never know!

S
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

airlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really nice

Hi Claire!

Thank-you! ...Reading your post and all the replies has just put to biggest smile on my face!
Since the new year kicked in i had been feeling exactly the same...one minute really excited about the adventure...the next wondering why i'm leaving when things are set up nicely here...
BUT LOOK AT HOW MANY OF US ARE DOING IT OR HAVE DONE IT!!!

I'm actually giggling to myself as i write this heehee!... happy sunny days ahead!!...