Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dicko's 6th Month update

Dicko's 6th Month update

Old Oct 22nd 2005, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Dicko's 6th Month update

Warning don't read on if you don't like long posts ! :scared:

Well everyone as I don't get on here that much anymore, thought I would post an update on the adventure that is Oz emigration.
We arrived on May 8th and the day we got here we went into Maccies it was Mothers day so all mums got given a bunch of flowers, which was a great start to our adventure. We got the kids settled into Helensvale Schools that week, daughter in high and eldest lad in the Primary, we even got the youngest a place in Pre school, beware though you don't just buy uniform here you hire the text books and everything.
Anyway we then found it is a nightmare getting a rental as you basically need a letter from God, But we finally settled on nice little 4 bed lowset, with a pool, in Pacific Pines.
I was lucky in the respect I had a job to come to but it was a bit of a pain as we still had loads to do but I was starting work the second week after arriving, we needed to get cars sorted and medicare driving licences etc, what you need to do though is prioritise things in order of importance.
Be careful on cars as we bought one which we now realise we paid over the odds for and would pass on the advice to take your time picking one.
As for work well I have been offered numerous jobs since I have been here and now start a new one closer to where I live in 2 weeks, so take no notice of doom mongers who say there is no work, there is loads in the manufacturing industry which is so strong over here.

Life in General? in one word Fan 'Bloody' Tastic!! we absolutely love it here, and the kids have settled unbelievably well, my daughter who is quite sporty and was in the UK joined a footy team as soon as we arrived, she is now having trials to represent the Gold Coast in a tournament next year. Thru' this and school, she has made numerous friends, in fact she had few staying last night on a sleepover. My eldest boy also has loads of friends, and the outdoor life really suits him, he is always out on his bike or in the pool, in school he even goes swimming once a week now and his stroke has improved brilliantly!
My youngest son who was quite shy, has come out of himself and is also really enjoying the outdoor lifestyle.
As for us, well we have made some really brilliant friends, I can honestly say they have become a lot better friends than ones we had in the UK, we have so much in common with them, they have 2 girls about the same age as our boys and they even get on, and there is no squabbling among them which usually happens with kids together.
We had some friends who we stayed with when we got here and we really only see them every so often now, honestly it is better to go out get your own friends as this gives you an independence. We see our really good mates at least once every weekend and it is great as you can just relax and have a beer and a chat.We are even spending Xmas with them, which we are so looking forward to.
We are out every weekend and it has got to the point where we feel guilty if we do nothing on a Saturday or Sunday, I personally look forward to my weekend so much more than I ever did in the UK. One word of warning though it is not the UK, and if you are used to a Sunday Dinner and all the other stuff that seemed to be the law of a weekend in the UK then this place is not for you.

We went to Indy last night which for $15 was money so well spent, we left the car at Parklands and got a free bus, wow what an atmosphere, the point is there is something happening most weekends. I know a lot of people don't like the GC as it is so busy but this is just the sort of thing we as a family, love.

Next week my brother is coming over for a holiday and I can't wait to show him all the stuff this place has to offer.

The bad things? well as has been said before the driving leaves a lot to be desired! also one thing which is really hard to get used to is the laid back she'll be right attitude, every shop, business, service etc has 2 speeds: slow and even slower but I think this comes from the British way of life where everything is so hurried and maybe when you step back and have a look it is not so bad to be relaxed and in no hurry to do anything.
We miss family and friends from the UK quite a lot, in fact we have had a few family issues relayed to us by telephone from UK lately and it does make you feel guilty that you are not there to help out, but if we were there we wouldn't be able to do much anyway. These are the things that you have to deal with but that comes with living thousands of miles away.

To summarise: we have absolutely no regrets at all, yes there are difficult times and yes I wont tell lies there are times when you question whether you have done the right thing? but all in all we have enjoyed the adventure so far and my advice is; it is not for everyone, it is completely different to living in the UK, but if you don't do it you will never know. will you?
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 1:28 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dicko's 6th Month update

Hey Dicko, great to hear the update & that you seem to be enjoying it so much. Congrats on the new job, I bet you are glad you wont have to face the Gateway or back roads for much longer .
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dicko

Well everyone as I don't get on here that much anymore, thought I would post an update on the adventure that is Oz emigration.
We arrived on May 8th and the day we got here we went into Maccies it was Mothers day so all mums got given a bunch of flowers, which was a great start to our adventure. We got the kids settled into Helensvale Schools that week, daughter in high and eldest lad in the Primary, we even got the youngest a place in Pre school, beware though you don't just buy uniform here you hire the text books and everything.
Anyway we then found it is a nightmare getting a rental as you basically need a letter from God, But we finally settled on nice little 4 bed lowset, with a pool, in Pacific Pines.
I was lucky in the respect I had a job to come to but it was a bit of a pain as we still had loads to do but I was starting work the second week after arriving, we needed to get cars sorted and medicare driving licences etc, what you need to do though is prioritise things in order of importance.
Be careful on cars as we bought one which we now realise we paid over the odds for and would pass on the advice to take your time picking one.
As for work well I have been offered numerous jobs since I have been here and now start a new one closer to where I live in 2 weeks, so take no notice of doom mongers who say there is no work, there is loads in the manufacturing industry which is so strong over here.

Life in General? in one word Fan 'Bloody' Tastic!! we absolutely love it here, and the kids have settled unbelievably well, my daughter who is quite sporty and was in the UK joined a footy team as soon as we arrived, she is now having trials to represent the Gold Coast in a tournament next year. Thru' this and school, she has made numerous friends, in fact she had few staying last night on a sleepover. My eldest boy also has loads of friends, and the outdoor life really suits him, he is always out on his bike or in the pool, in school he even goes swimming once a week now and his stroke has improved brilliantly!
My youngest son who was quite shy, has come out of himself and is also really enjoying the outdoor lifestyle.
As for us, well we have made some really brilliant friends, I can honestly say they have become a lot better friends than ones we had in the UK, we have so much in common with them, they have 2 girls about the same age as our boys and they even get on, and there is no squabbling among them which usually happens with kids together.
We had some friends who we stayed with when we got here and we really only see them every so often now, honestly it is better to go out get your own friends as this gives you an independence. We see our really good mates at least once every weekend and it is great as you can just relax and have a beer and a chat.We are even spending Xmas with them, which we are so looking forward to.
We are out every weekend and it has got to the point where we feel guilty if we do nothing on a Saturday or Sunday, I personally look forward to my weekend so much more than I ever did in the UK. One word of warning though it is not the UK, and if you are used to a Sunday Dinner and all the other stuff that seemed to be the law of a weekend in the UK then this place is not for you.

We went to Indy last night which for $15 was money so well spent, we left the car at Parklands and got a free bus, wow what an atmosphere, the point is there is something happening most weekends. I know a lot of people don't like the GC as it is so busy but this is just the sort of thing we as a family, love.

Next week my brother is coming over for a holiday and I can't wait to show him all the stuff this place has to offer.

The bad things? well as has been said before the driving leaves a lot to be desired! also one thing which is really hard to get used to is the laid back she'll be right attitude, every shop, business, service etc has 2 speeds: slow and even slower but I think this comes from the British way of life where everything is so hurried and maybe when you step back and have a look it is not so bad to be relaxed and in no hurry to do anything.
We miss family and friends from the UK quite a lot, in fact we have had a few family issues relayed to us by telephone from UK lately and it does make you feel guilty that you are not there to help out, but if we were there we wouldn't be able to do much anyway. These are the things that you have to deal with but that comes with living thousands of miles away.

To summarise: we have absolutely no regrets at all, yes there are difficult times and yes I wont tell lies there are times when you question whether you have done the right thing? but all in all we have enjoyed the adventure so far and my advice is; it is not for everyone, it is completely different to living in the UK, but if you don't do it you will never know. will you?
Nice story, glad you are settled, we are loving it here too, been here since xmas, best decision we ever made.
I will write my story on our 1st anniversary. Have a great life, Denise
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Hey Dicko, how's it going? You've changed your avatar. Is that because of your current position? Never mind mate, can't get much lower, well not til May anyway.

Andy
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 2:46 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dicko.

Sounds like you've gone through the highs and lows with a positive attitude and life is coming together.

Great post. Really enjoyed reading it. Thanks
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Hey Dicko, great to hear the update & that you seem to be enjoying it so much. Congrats on the new job, I bet you are glad you wont have to face the Gateway or back roads for much longer .

Hi Mrs D,
Yeh the job I have now got is based in Yatala a better salary and only 20 mins, which is basically round the corner compared to what I was used to.
Did'nt really mind the travel it was just the driving I had to put up with day in day out, and I don't mean mine by the way
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:58 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Great post .. hope we're as positive after we've been there 6 months
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 9:28 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you've settled really well Dicko.
Thanks for the update and look forward to the next one.
Good Luck with the new job.
Julie
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 9:36 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

good for you & your's mate, glad to hear it's going so well.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 9:59 am
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic to see you doing so well dicko, its really great to read about kids settling in so well too as i think this is a major worry for all of us with kids. Good luck with the next six months, i would say good luck with the footy too mate but i think your team need a bit more than luck right now up the reds!!

All the best mate.

Nev.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by madsad
good for you & your's mate, glad to hear it's going so well.
Hi Malc & Donna,
I did try and email u and PM u with an update, but you obviously didn't get them.
No worries, how is evrything with yourselves?
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

The Bowles Family has a brilliant futureThe Bowles Family has a brilliant futureThe Bowles Family has a brilliant futureThe Bowles Family has a brilliant futureThe Bowles Family has a brilliant futureThe Bowles Family has a brilliant future

Hi just read your post that was FAB I was needing to hear something like this I had just finished reading the same sh*t different bucket thread! I am really pleased for you and your family well done you lot for having such a great attitude about it all. Best wishes to you all xx
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 12:23 pm
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

COULDN"T AGREE MORE!!! Especially about the go slow attitude. If we all went back to the UK, we'd only moan that people had no time for eachother. Whilst it might not be as 'professional' here, I think the customer service here is exceptional. I had only been to the back 3 times and they knew my name. I went to the same back for 10 years in the Uk and this never happened!!!

Sunshine Sarah
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 1:15 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Malc & Donna,
I did try and email u and PM u with an update, but you obviously didn't get them.
No worries, how is evrything with yourselves?

We did get your email & pm & i promise i will reply soon,had so much to do ourselfs the last couple of months,just been hectic!

Donna.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 2:31 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

gald everything is going well for u mate......bit I will tell u summit ur job in Mackay good job it didnt come off cos the place is a shit hole!!!!! we have just spent the shortest holiday ever there..............place we booked into 5 weeks ago gave our ocean view villa to somebody else and shoved us to the arse end of the resort!!!!! we wnet for a drive rouns Mackay and were no imprressed, needless to say insted of being living it up in our first aussie holiday we r all back at home...thoroughly miserable and pissed off!!!! Oh by the way we left here 9am got there 2pm.......villa not ready, 3.30 villa ready....wrong one....8pm back home exhausted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.