Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Diary of a Pom in Brisbane

Diary of a Pom in Brisbane

Old Oct 8th 2005, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Diary of a Pom in Brisbane

Hubby brought this home today; it's been on here before but thought it would be good for those of you who haven't seen it. Enjoy

August 31st
Just got transferred with work into our brand new home in Brisbane! Now this is a city that knows how to live!!What a place! I watched the sunset from the deck chair on the veranda. It was beautiful. I've finally found my home. I love it here!!!

September 13th
Really heating up. Got to 35 today. Not a problem. Live in an air conditioned home, drive an air conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun every day like this!! I'm turning into a sun worshiper!!

September 30th
Had the backyard landscaped with tropical plants today.Lots of palms and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing lawns for me. Another scorcher today but I love it here!!

October 10th
The temperature hasn't been below 30 all week.How do people get used to this kind of heat? At least today it's kind of windy though. But getting used to the heat and humidity is taking longer than I expected.

October 15th
Fell asleep by the pool. Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body. Meat and two veg are red raw, can hardly walk and head swollen to twice the size. Look like sponge-bob smartypants and can hardly walk. Missed 3 days off work without pay.What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this!

October 20th
I didn't see kitty [our cat] sneak into the car when I left for work this morning. By the time I got back to the hot car to go home, Kitty had carked it and swollen to the size of a shopping bag and stank the $3,000 leather upholstery. I told the kids Kitty had ran away. The car now stinks of whiskettes and cat shit. I learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat

October 25th
The wind sucks. It feels like a giant bloody blow dryer!! And it's as hot as hell.The home air conditioning is on the blink and the AC repairman charged $300 just to drive over and tell me he needed spare parts!

October 30th
Been sleeping outside in the pool for 3 nights now. Bloody $500,00 house and we can't even go inside. Why did I ever bleedin come here?

November 4th
It's 35 degrees. Finally got the ol' air conditioning fixed today. It cost $500 and gets the temperature down to 25 degrees, but this bloody humidity makes the house feel like it's about 30. Stupid repairmen. I hate this stupid place.

November 8th
If another wise arse cracks "Hot enough for you today mate" I'm going to strangle him.Bloody heat. By the time I got to work the effin car radiator was boiling over, my clothes were soaking wet and I smelt like baked cat in cat shit.

November 9th
Tried to run some errands after work. Jeez it was hot! Wore shorts and sat on the black leather seats in the ol' car. I thought my arse was on fire. I lost two layers of flesh and all the hairs on the back of my legs and me arse. Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried arse and baked cat.

November 10th
The weather report might as well be a bloody recording. Hot and bloody sunny. Hot and bloody sunny. Hot and blood sunny. It been too bloody hot to do anything for 2 bloody months and the weatherman says it might bloody well warm up next week! Doesn't it ever rain in this bloody place? Blody water rationing will be next so me bloody $2,000 worth of plants will bloody dry up an fall into the bloody pool. Even the bloody palms can't live in this heat!

November 14th
Welcome to HELL!!!
Temperature got to 38 today. Now the bloody aircon's gone in my car. The bloody repairman came to fix it and said "hot enough for you today mate?"

My wife has had to spend $3,000 to bail my arse out of the local clink for assaulting the repairman.

Bloody Brisbane.

What kind of sick demented idiot would want to bloody live here?

December 1st
WHAT?????

This is the first day of summer????

You've got to be *****ing kidding!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by phoenixinoz; Oct 8th 2005 at 2:39 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 4:13 pm

bjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Re: Diary of a Pom in Brisbane

[QUOTE=phoenixinoz]Hubby brought this home today; it's been on here before but thought it would be good for those of you who haven't seen it. Enjoy
]

Well I had not seen it. Now I am laughing, crying and stressing all at the same time....

Brian.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 4:54 pm
Account Closed

Default Re: Diary of a Pom in Brisbane

[QUOTE=bjbrian]
Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Hubby brought this home today; it's been on here before but thought it would be good for those of you who haven't seen it. Enjoy
]

Well I had not seen it. Now I am laughing, crying and stressing all at the same time....

Brian.
PMSL....oh Brian..there, there.....it's great really..... and you'll be OK

Just make sure you dont ask any Poms if it hot enough for them
Old Oct 8th 2005, 4:56 pm
Yes yes yes brissy bound!

The Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really nice

[QUOTE=bjbrian]
]

Brian.
That is one of the funniest threads!!!!!!!! I couldn't speak for laughing when trying to read it to hubby!!!!!!!!!!!

Now he is asking me, will I be able to cope with the heat! :scared:
Tears streaming, well top!
Old Oct 8th 2005, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=The Quinns]
Originally Posted by bjbrian

That is one of the funniest threads!!!!!!!! I couldn't speak for laughing when trying to read it to hubby!!!!!!!!!!!

Now he is asking me, will I be able to cope with the heat! :scared:
Tears streaming, well top!
Lol....aye....the heats OK...it's just us Poms need to whinge about summat

Good luck BTW re your move to Bris. It's grand ....even if it tis hot [excuse for anothe beer! ]
Old Oct 8th 2005, 5:12 pm

The Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really nice

[QUOTE=phoenixinoz]
Originally Posted by The Quinns

Lol....aye....the heats OK...it's just us Poms need to whinge about summat

Good luck BTW re your move to Bris. It's grand ....even if it tis hot [excuse for anothe beer! ]

Where about's in the Bayside area are you? We are currently weighing up where we want to settle, considering Thornside, Birkdale and have talked about Bayside. Are there any beaches close by or do you have to go down the coast?
Old Oct 8th 2005, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=The Quinns]

Where about's in the Bayside area are you? We are currently weighing up where we want to settle, considering Thornside, Birkdale and have talked about Bayside. Are there any beaches close by or do you have to go down the coast?
We are based in Wynnum. Wynnum has a foreshore, it's not a golden sandy beach [it's sand but not a spectacular beach]but it's a lovely foreshore area for nice walks and picnics etc.

Quite often the Expats go there for their picnics. Wynnum / Manly and Lota are very close, in fact as you go along the foreshore they merge from one to the other and Manly has a marina which is nice.

If you want a nice golden beach though, we tend to go to Stradbroke Island [catch the ferry accross -takes 20 mins to get to ferry and 40 mins to Straddy on the ferry]...or there is the Gold or Sunshine coast [about an hour away].

Wynnum is about 15/20 mins from the airport or city by car and 40 [ish] mins to Brisbane city centre by train...so we reckon we're fairly central to everything here, which is why we like it.

Brisbane is known as "The river city" as basically everywhere is located around the river, technically the nearest beach i.e. golden sandy beaches are either the Gold Coast or the Sunshine coast....and from the Bayside it takes about an hour to go to either.

Thornside and Birkdale are popular areas and from what I've seen they are nice. Birkdale has a train station, not sure about Thornside though?

If you want to know anything on these areas, feel free to PM me. No worries
Old Oct 8th 2005, 5:42 pm

Wink Re: Diary of a Pom in Brisbane

[QUOTE=phoenixinoz]
Originally Posted by The Quinns

We are based in Wynnum. Wynnum has a foreshore, it's not a golden sandy beach [it's sand but not a spectacular beach]but it's a lovely foreshore area for nice walks and picnics etc.

Quite often the Expats go there for their picnics. Wynnum / Manly and Lota are very close, in fact as you go along the foreshore they merge from one to the other and Manly has a marina which is nice.

If you want a nice golden beach though, we tend to go to Stradbroke Island [catch the ferry accross -takes 20 mins to get to ferry and 40 mins to Straddy on the ferry]...or there is the Gold or Sunshine coast [about an hour away].

Wynnum is about 15/20 mins from the airport or city by car and 40 [ish] mins to Brisbane city centre by train...so we reckon we're fairly central to everything here, which is why we like it.

Brisbane is known as "The river city" as basically everywhere is located around the river, technically the nearest beach i.e. golden sandy beaches are either the Gold Coast or the Sunshine coast....and from the Bayside it takes about an hour to go to either.

Thornside and Birkdale are popular areas and from what I've seen they are nice. Birkdale has a train station, not sure about Thornside though?

If you want to know anything on these areas, feel free to PM me. No worries
Thanks for the information, you're a star!!!

will PM later - just watchin x factor!
Old Oct 8th 2005, 7:17 pm
Account Closed

Vic&jase is an unknown quantity at this point

August 31st
Just got transferred with work into our brand new home in Brisbane! Now this is a city that knows how to live!!What a place! I watched the sunset from the deck chair on the veranda. It was beautiful. I've finally found my home. I love it here!!!

September 13th
Really heating up. Got to 35 today. Not a problem. Live in an air conditioned home, drive an air conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun every day like this!! I'm turning into a sun worshiper!!

September 30th
Had the backyard landscaped with tropical plants today.Lots of palms and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing lawns for me. Another scorcher today but I love it here!!

October 10th
The temperature hasn't been below 30 all week.How do people get used to this kind of heat? At least today it's kind of windy though. But getting used to the heat and humidity is taking longer than I expected.

October 15th
Fell asleep by the pool. Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body. Meat and two veg are red raw, can hardly walk and head swollen to twice the size. Look like sponge-bob smartypants and can hardly walk. Missed 3 days off work without pay.What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this!

October 20th
I didn't see kitty [our cat] sneak into the car when I left for work this morning. By the time I got back to the hot car to go home, Kitty had carked it and swollen to the size of a shopping bag and stank the $3,000 leather upholstery. I told the kids Kitty had ran away. The car now stinks of whiskettes and cat shit. I learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat

October 25th
The wind sucks. It feels like a giant bloody blow dryer!! And it's as hot as hell.The home air conditioning is on the blink and the AC repairman charged $300 just to drive over and tell me he needed spare parts!

October 30th
Been sleeping outside in the pool for 3 nights now. Bloody $500,00 house and we can't even go inside. Why did I ever bleedin come here?

November 4th
It's 35 degrees. Finally got the ol' air conditioning fixed today. It cost $500 and gets the temperature down to 25 degrees, but this bloody humidity makes the house feel like it's about 30. Stupid repairmen. I hate this stupid place.

November 8th
If another wise arse cracks "Hot enough for you today mate" I'm going to strangle him.Bloody heat. By the time I got to work the effin car radiator was boiling over, my clothes were soaking wet and I smelt like baked cat in cat shit.

November 9th
Tried to run some errands after work. Jeez it was hot! Wore shorts and sat on the black leather seats in the ol' car. I thought my arse was on fire. I lost two layers of flesh and all the hairs on the back of my legs and me arse. Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried arse and baked cat.

November 10th
The weather report might as well be a bloody recording. Hot and bloody sunny. Hot and bloody sunny. Hot and blood sunny. It been too bloody hot to do anything for 2 bloody months and the weatherman says it might bloody well warm up next week! Doesn't it ever rain in this bloody place? Blody water rationing will be next so me bloody $2,000 worth of plants will bloody dry up an fall into the bloody pool. Even the bloody palms can't live in this heat!

November 14th
Welcome to HELL!!!
Temperature got to 38 today. Now the bloody aircon's gone in my car. The bloody repairman came to fix it and said "hot enough for you today mate?"

My wife has had to spend $3,000 to bail my arse out of the local clink for assaulting the repairman.

Bloody Brisbane.

December 1st
WHAT?????

Genius mate, pure genius! Huzza and I sat with glass of wine after sending away main docs for verification.

Have laughed and cried over that, Cheers xxxxxxxxx
Old Oct 8th 2005, 7:17 pm
Account Closed

Vic&jase is an unknown quantity at this point

August 31st

September 13th

September 30th

October 10th

October 15th

October 20th

October 25th

October 30th

November 4th

November 8th

November 9th

November 10th

November 14th
Welcome to HELL!!!

Bloody Brisbane.

December 1st
WHAT?????

Genius mate, pure genius! Huzza and I sat with glass of wine after sending away main docs for verification.

Have laughed and cried over that, Cheers xxxxxxxxx