Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

DIAC investigate 20 private institutes

DIAC investigate 20 private institutes

Old Apr 10th 2009, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice
Default DIAC investigate 20 private institutes

Does anyone have any information with regard to the ongoing investigation of 20 odd institutions in melbourne.

check this out

http://www.theage.com.au/national/pr...0406-9uus.html

These news articles has put quiet a lot of overseas students studying in Victoria in anxiety as they wonder whether their institution is under investigation also DIAC is doing great injustice to all the private colleges in victoria by not publishing the institution involved in the investigation.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DIAC investigate 20 private institutes

Where I am studying they have had problems with some of the students thinking that their course fees are enough, turning up should not be necessary with the amount they have paid. They of course have told them no they need to attend 80% of classes and their argument is that other colleges don't make you! It seems they know people on courses who do not need to attend classes. No idea where though, and personally I wish they had gone for those courses, it is a huge pain having people there who think they can just cheat their way through a course they obviously don't want to be on.

I'm sure if someone was on a course and asked immigration if their college was one of the ones being looked into they would tell them, but they can't go publishing lists when it is not proven.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 10:08 am
Axe
Forum Regular

Axe has much to be proud ofAxe has much to be proud ofAxe has much to be proud ofAxe has much to be proud ofAxe has much to be proud ofAxe has much to be proud ofAxe has much to be proud ofAxe has much to be proud ofAxe has much to be proud ofAxe has much to be proud ofAxe has much to be proud of

If you paid cash and got a qualification, then you should be anxious - in fact, I hope you get caught and are charged criminally. If you are studying and writing exams and earning your qualification then you have nothing to worry about.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice

But very often these institutes are CIRCOS approved . which means they are approved by the OZ Gov and these institute might be conducting genuine courses and at the same time issuing certificates for a quick buck, this is just my guess, ultimately the hard effort of the students are gone to the dogs.
As such thing like fake institution scenario ever happened before in australia.

Hope they will conclude their ongoing investigation soon and let us all know the fact.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

kavin_oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Shafanm

I don't think Government funded institutes like TAFE colleges would be effected. they have very strict rules about attendance and exams.
DIAC here talks about the private institutes who have involved in this game from last 3, 4 years.There are 181 private colleges in Melbourne.well just couple of days ago I got to knew there was a private collegeXXX has suspended all his courses on DIAC notice. such things are going on but not revealed openly till this scam completely come on surface.

Well if you ask I am really happy. DIAC has conducted such investigations. Trouble is for those who are from those colleges and never attended the colleges.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

woodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to all

I had a conversation with someone who works in immigration recently. He was explaining how some of these 'colleges' offer chief training where the building contains only a microwave or an IT 'college' that has no equipment
Most of the time these are small offices on short term leases which are empty of students (they are too busy working) or tutors.
If anyone has paid a large amount of money to a 'college' for a qualification that they don't have to study or even attend, then they should quite rightly be worried.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:36 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodiesinaus
I had a conversation with someone who works in immigration recently. He was explaining how some of these 'colleges' offer chief training where the building contains only a microwave or an IT 'college' that has no equipment
I find it astonishing that a person might pretend to be a chief after such inadequate training.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 8:05 pm
His Excellency

fifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by woodiesinaus
Most of the time these are small offices on short term leases which are empty of students (they are too busy working) or tutors.
If anyone has paid a large amount of money to a 'college' for a qualification that they don't have to study or even attend, then they should quite rightly be worried.
What amuses me is that they probably have to work cash in hand and to be able to save around $20K on that kind of wage would probably require just as long as the course length.. So why not just study
Old Apr 10th 2009, 9:41 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
I find it astonishing that a person might pretend to be a chief after such inadequate training.
they dont they just want the visa

from first hand experiance this does happen in tafes as well
recently almost all of one chefs course at a local tafe submitted work experiance at the same restaurant for the same period ( 14 chinese students ) it turned out that the restaurant had been signing students work experiance log books for some time, did they kick them out? no they sent them back out to get "real" experinace ( well at least different work experiance log books )

again first hand experiance this time with a private chefs course consisting completely of indians who had paid up to 40 grand a yr
early on in the course they told the chef in charge that they wouldnt clean down after service as they "were only" there to get visa`s luckily the head chef had some balls and told them all in no uncertain manner that they either completed the course in full or they could **** off

ive also heard it was happening with hairdressing prior to hairdressers been removed from the modl but that was possibly rumour

Last edited by steve`o; Apr 10th 2009 at 9:44 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

woodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to all

The high fee's are paid for by other members of the family. Remember studying in Aus counts towards PR. Once they get PR they can help those that contributed to the fee's.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, a fair few of them on my course don't even want to be in Oz, let alone studying. Luckily my college has been good on telling them they will fail the course if they don't do everything (and a fair few of them have failed sections they will have to pay to redo) so there would be no visa.

I would love to train to be a chief. Do you recon they would give me Indians? Or could I just claim the ones on my course?
Old Apr 11th 2009, 8:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Yep, a fair few of them on my course don't even want to be in Oz, let alone studying. Luckily my college has been good on telling them they will fail the course if they don't do everything (and a fair few of them have failed sections they will have to pay to redo) so there would be no visa.

I would love to train to be a chief. Do you recon they would give me Indians? Or could I just claim the ones on my course?
Plenty of cowboys here so I'm sure there's a need for chiefs for the other side
Old Apr 11th 2009, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of

I am not sure why Australia needs all these Chiefs recruited in from overseas anyway.

It sounds like some of the training institutes are being run by cowboys.